Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Benteke used to go on runs where he scored loads of goals....second half of last season for instance. Maybe he'll find his groove and start tearing it up soon...not holding my breath though.

Probably has to play the full 90 in a few games in a row. Klopp might do it towards the end of the league season to see if we can fit him in at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

K-9 wrote: »
    Building the new stand will cost money though, even if it is an interest free loan. Not sure when FSG expect it paid back.

Hopefully they do pay up, the last time we did it, it hasn't worked out so far, but Firmino looks like he will be worth the money.

Yeah Firmino is really starting to find his feet now. Delighted we got him.

Another thing....when we were in negotiations with Villa for Benteke we were stuck on £22m for a couple of weeks and then suddenly paid the £32m to activate the release clause so maybe the Texeira deal isn't over yet...we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

According to James Pearce, Klopp thinks the 38M Shakhtar want is too much of a gamble as well for a 26 year old that will be in his 30's at the end of his contract. Guess we'll see if anyone budges. Time is running out.

Yeah Firmino is really starting to find his feet now. Delighted we got him.

Another thing....when we were in negotiations with Villa for Benteke we were stuck on £22m for a couple of weeks and then suddenly paid the £32m to activate the release clause so maybe the Texeira deal isn't over yet...we'll see.

Supposedly Rodgers really wanted Benteke and the committee wanted Firmino, bloody politics!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Supposedly Rodgers really wanted Benteke and the committee wanted Firmino, bloody politics!

Sez the Politics Cmod :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

According to James Pearce, Klopp thinks the 38M Shakhtar want is too much of a gamble as well for a 26 year old that will be in his 30's at the end of his contract. Guess we'll see if anyone budges. Time is running out.

Only 26 recently
    We could sell him in 3 years aged 28 once Jan window opens in 2019 for 55 million if he was to become something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why would Klopp care about sell on value? It's not his realm.

Building the new stand will cost money though, even if it is an interest free loan. Not sure when FSG expect it paid back.

Hopefully they do pay up, the last time we did it, it hasn't worked out so far, but Firmino looks like he will be worth the money.

I know it's not in the plans, but i'd love a new Kop to be built to match the size of the new stand. Something like Dortmund have. Just a sheer drop.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    I know it's not in the plans, but i'd love a new Kop to be built to match the size of the new stand. Something like Dortmund have. Just a sheer drop.

Pity there is physically no room to do this, as it would be great.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Times saying we are going to try and sign Javier Hernandez in the summer. Utd sold him for peanuts, we'd probably pay elephants (not a great analogy, but still).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Future budgets I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd say it's a case of chancing our arm.

We don't know what the financial situation is.
    Without much in the way of salable assets, that 38m would be the bulk of our total transfer budget for the year.

Still, I'd rather go with Teixeira and change nothing else about the squad. Our biggest problem remains scoring, and no amount of keepers, DMs, CBs or backup full backs are going to fix that.

There's a finite number of goalscorers available and top strikers are like unicorn tears.

I'd much rather give our three strikers another go at settling in for another season and trying to stay fit for a full season - I expect big things of Ings and Origi in particular - if it meant getting a top goalscoring AM in.

The only injury Daniel Sturridge's body has not experienced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

and that is EXACTLY why the club should decide what a player is worth and if he can't be secured for that amount don't be suckered into paying more.

Given the slating Benteke is getting generally on here no one feels he is worth £32m but in the right team (e.g. Stoke, Everton, Newcastle etc) he could thrive and they'd be prepared to pay £15m - £18m on him. If we'd stuck to our £22m valuation and not bought him as a result we'd not be out of pocket at all and if we'd managed to secure him for £22m and got £15m back for him we'd only be £7m out of pocket not £17m!!

It's gas how we bitch about not paying OTT transfer fees when a player is available and then six months later bitch about how we overpaid for him and he's $hite :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can understand Klopp not wanting to shell out that money aswell as it wouldnt look good for him if his first major signing who happens to be a club record fee flops.
    He looks an absolutely quality player though and I have no doubt there will be a long list of suitors in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It surprises me that Klopp has any concern about the financial end of things. He worked under a DOF at Dortmund which is standard in Germany, and wasn't even involved in signings, such was his trust in the DOF and look how well that paid off (Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Sokratis, Lewandowski, Reus, Hummels etc)

He needs to only worry about the football and man management, if he's given too many responsibilities he hasn't had before, it could unsettle him. Since he mentioned the issue of cost with the Teixeira transfer, it shows he has more involvement in that side of things which I'm not thrilled about. This transfer committee is a load of shîte in my opinion, it's halfway between a DOF and giving the manager full control of transfers. We'd be much better off scrapping it (shocking opinion alert) and hiring a good DOF, like Monchi (Sevilla) or Zorc (Dortmund) who have outstanding track records.

Have you not heard or read any of his interviews? He doesn't operate with pretend Monopoly money. He has an agreed budget he has to work within. If he spunks it all on one player and it leaves him with less to spend on strengthening other parts of the squad. He has signed up for that structure and is happy to work within it. Long may it last that we have financially responsible owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Other transfer tittle-tattle -

from http://www.anfieldedition.uk/2016/01/liverpool-scouting-bundesliga/
    Liverpool’s recruitment process continues this weekend with their recruitment team sending scouts to watch Wolfsburg versus Cologne in the Bundesliga on Sunday afternoon. The recruitment drive is in full swing with a big summer ahead for Liverpool.

Ricardo Rodriguez and Jonas Hector are two of the players thought to be of interest to the scouts. Rodriguez is also a player that interests Manchester City. Klopp will know the player well from his time at Borussia Dortmund. Cologne’s Hector may be a cheaper option and easier to attain.

Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell is another left back that Liverpool are interested in. Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are also very keen on the young Leicester City left back. Jurgen Klopp is sure to have lots of information on Chilwell given he played under David Wagner while on loan at Huddersfield Town earlier this season.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It surprises me that Klopp has any concern about the financial end of things.

Why are you surprised? From day one he has said he has the final say on transfers and even last week he elaborated on how he has to work within a budget but is free to do so as he sees fit unless he decides to spend £100m on Ibrahimovic!! http://talkingbaws.com/2016/01/jurgen-klopp-on-what-would-happen-if-he-bid-100-million-for-zlatan-ibrahimovic/

rob316 wrote: »
    He looks an absolutely quality player though and I have no doubt there will be a long list of suitors in the summer.

Has he suddenly become a good player? If not why wasn't there a long list of suitors for him last summer? Why isn't there a long list of suitors now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why are you surprised? From day one he has said he has the final say on transfers and even last week he elaborated on how he has to work within a budget but is free to do so as he sees fit unless he decides to spend £100m on Ibrahimovic!! http://talkingbaws.com/2016/01/jurgen-klopp-on-what-would-happen-if-he-bid-100-million-for-zlatan-ibrahimovic/

It doesn't surprise that he has, it surprises me that he's being forced to, as I stated later in the post. He never had these responsibilities at Dortmund (and probably not at Mainz either) and it just gives him more to think about which is time he's not strategising or visiting Sturridge in hospital.

We need a DOF to get the most out of him, he never had to pick players off a list like he has to do now under the committee, the DOF would simply consult with the scouting department and decide on a player, and all Klopp had to do was say yes or no. He didn't have worry about how much they'd cost, because that had been worked out already.

Maybe I'm just a nut for efficiency but his talents don't lie in finance and scouting, he's a great football manager and that's all he should do for us.

• Advertisement

Has he suddenly become a good player? If not why wasn't there a long list of suitors for him last summer? Why isn't there a long list of suitors now?

Last season was his breakthrough season, this season he is on course to score 40 league goals,albeit in the ukranian league its still damn impressive.

I saw him a few times in the CL looked a quality player.

These transferred from Shaktar have proven they are worth the big bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Liverpool U-21s -V- Sligo Rovers
    Wednesday 10th February 2016
    Kick Off 7 PM in the Showgrounds
    Tickets: Adults E10, Children E5

*note the time change

It doesn't surprise that he has, it surprises me that he's being forced to
    how did you arrive at that conclusion? LFC made Klopp an offer and outlined the structure he'd be working in. He voluntarily cut short his sabbatical and jumped at the opportunity as presented. What's "forced" about that? Do you reckon Ian Ayre somehow put a gun to his head? Do you think Klopp was $h1tting himself that he'd never be offered another job so took the LFC job despite being "forced" to work within a prudent financial model?

Can you seriously imagine Klopp signing up to anything he's not 100% happy with?

The reality is Shaktar say £38m, if you put £35m on the table and the player has indicated he wants to go, that will be enough. So our original bid was £25m we were probably prepared to go to £30m. We are missing out on a player who looks to be a perfect fit for us, over £5m.

£5m is nothing to a premiership club, especially when that club is Liverpool.
    You can buy alot more bad for £5m than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Klopp has also stated that the system he's working with now is exactly the same as the system he's always worked with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think we will get Tex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I think we will get Tex

.... mex for breakfast....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

.... mex for breakfast....

Thats gonna play havoc on your digestive system so early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think we need to adapt our style and playing personnel to give us more variation and also bring out the best in Benteke.

A few wide players that can take a man on and cross the ball would be helpful. Presently Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana are all very similar players.

Maybe Kent and Ojo could be those wide players

It surprises me that Klopp has any concern about the financial end of things. He worked under a DOF at Dortmund which is standard in Germany, and wasn't even involved in signings, such was his trust in the DOF and look how well that paid off (Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Sokratis, Lewandowski, Reus, Hummels etc)

He needs to only worry about the football and man management, if he's given too many responsibilities he hasn't had before, it could unsettle him. Since he mentioned the issue of cost with the Teixeira transfer, it shows he has more involvement in that side of things which I'm not thrilled about. This transfer committee is a load of shîte in my opinion, it's halfway between a DOF and giving the manager full control of transfers. We'd be much better off scrapping it (shocking opinion alert) and hiring a good DOF, like Monchi (Sevilla) or Zorc (Dortmund) who have outstanding track records.

But we know he has the first and final say in transfers so if he thinks £38 million is too much, fair enough.

But we know he has the first and final say in transfers so if he thinks £38 million is too much, fair enough.

^^^ this 100%.

We're forever looking for conspiracy theories, people to blame or just criticising the club for not over paying for players. If Klopp thinks a player is worth no more than £x why should he be criticised for not paying more than that? We either trust him or we don't and to say he is being undermined by the transfer committee or Ian Ayre or the Yanks or whatever is an insult to the mans intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Agreed. We are not paying bargain basement prices. For £38m the player should be top level with few other options. For that money you could have a good pick of players in the next window. If Tex is not worth it according to the boss, then the club should listen. He has seen valuations outside of silly PL money and maybe there are some good German players coming through.

So we're linked with another CM:
    Good news and bad news for Liverpool fans. The good news is that you’ve been linked with a new midfielder. The bad news is that Joe Allen could be leaving.

That’s the claim from the Daily Mirror, who say the Reds are lining up Udinese central midfielder Piotr Zielinski. The 21-year-old would cost £11million, according to Matt Lewis.

Zielinski has impressed on loan at Serie A side Empoli this season, and the Mirror go on to report that while Liverpool want a deal done in January, they are willing to wait until the summer. The risk is that Zielinski could impress during the European Championships for Poland, thus increasing his valuation.

Now the bad news. Lewis reports that signing Zielinski would cast further doubt over Joe Allen’s future. The Welshman has been linked with a return to Swansea, and has struggled to hold down a first-team place this season. Liverpool are expected to hold out for around £90million, according to Football365 sources.

I like double posts, make me feel important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The reality is Shaktar say £38m, if you put £35m on the table and the player has indicated he wants to go, that will be enough. So our original bid was £25m we were probably prepared to go to £30m. We are missing out on a player who looks to be a perfect fit for us, over £5m.

You do realise that business just doesn't work that way with budgets etc. You have to set a maximum and stick to it.

A few weeks ago most of us had never heard of Teixeira and now the club are being criticised for not over paying whilst people feel we overpaid for Benteke so they can't win really.

Have you not heard or read any of his interviews? He doesn't operate with pretend Monopoly money. He has an agreed budget he has to work within. If he spunks it all on one player and it leaves him with less to spend on strengthening other parts of the squad. He has signed up for that structure and is happy to work within it. Long may it last that we have financially responsible owners.

Yeah if he doesn't rate the player that highly to go as high up as 38 million, that's fair enough. I was referring to the sell on value comment.

I don't think sell on value should be relevant to him. If a player is good enough to improve the first team, I don't think he'd worry too much about how valuable the player would be price wise years from now when Klopp mightn't even be still the manager of LFC.

If he doesn't care about sell on values that might set a few alarm bells ringing in the club!

If we want somebody who doesn't really care about a club and it is all about him, we should have waited for Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

£35m for an uncapped 26 year old plying his trade in the Ukraine which very few people knew anything about last year.

That's a hell of a gamble.

If he doesn't care about sell on values that might set a few alarm bells ringing in the club!

If we want somebody who doesn't really care about a club and it is all about him, we should have waited for Jose.

If we signed Tex, I wouldn't be interested in a sell on value. I'd want him to be a success and we get his best, peak years. I wouldn't have been interested in Gerrard's sell on value for example. I wish Suarez was still at the club rather than get the fee for him.

• Advertisement

I do see your point. If Tex works out we'll still get a decent chunk or maybe we get 6 or 7 good years out of him. Suarez was a bit different in fairness, we tried locking him up at Melwood one Summer, doubt we could keep doing that.

Still though, at £38 Million he might think that is too much of a jump from 22 or 25 or whatever. And he could use that £38 million on a better player in the Summer.

It doesn't even have to be about 5 years time, it can be 6 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

MD1990 wrote: »

So the guy hardly anyone had even heard of last week is now one of the top ten most valuable players in history? I hope Ian Ayre laughed in their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Vicxas wrote: »
    So we're linked with another CM:

90million !!!! They can have him for that :D

Surely a misprint !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They know it's a farcical price, it's just to insure he's not sold this window. We'll probably get him in the summer if we're still interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As much as I would like Tex to join, and as good as I think he can be, £35m is on the excessive side for a player without an International cap, and who has never played in a top league in Europe.

Part of me wants us to throw the money at them and get this done, but I can definitely see that rational behind not doing so.

sabat wrote: »
    So the guy hardly anyone had even heard of last week is now one of the top ten most valuable players in history? I hope Ian Ayre laughed in their face.
    I have no idea why Ayre flew over to the US where Shakhtar were training. Gave the impression a deal was close or ecpected to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

MD1990 wrote: »
    I have no idea why Ayre flew over to the US where Shakhtar were training. Gave the impression a deal was close or ecpected to be done.

To get the duty free ;) :pac:

€70m! Right well that is well and truly dead anyway. They never wanted to sell if that price was put on him.

So we still need a goalscorer in this window, I liked the links to Nolito.

It would be best for everyone if the club could somehow stop these transfer leaks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement