Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Benteke is nearly worse than Balotelli considering he cost twice as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just sell him by Monday night and pay the £38m for teixeira. £20m will do fine he has no place playing for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Benteke. Showing what a disastrous signing he was.

Hopefully he'll be out the door in the summer

If we could get a striker in before this window id be happy to see him shipped out now tbh, pointless giving him chances to play in this team. The definition of flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Better than expected

The experienced players, on the other hand, are mostly shit.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

klose wrote: »
    If we could get a striker in before this window id be happy to see him shipped out now tbh, pointless giving him chances to play in this team. The definition of flogging a dead horse.

Who would buy him though? We couldn't get anything like what we paid for him if we were to sell him now. I don't expect it to be any better in the summer, but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5starpool wrote: »
    Who would buy him though? We couldn't get anything like what we paid for him if we were to sell him now. I don't expect it to be any better in the summer, but who knows.

Surely there will be takers at £15m to £20m? It's a big loss but it was a transfer doomed from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who was the standing ovation from the crowd at 17 minutes for? Also has Anfield only got one technical area? And while I'm in the mood for asking questions can anyone remember when was the last time we scored from a direct free kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ibe was pants again but he really is still very young indeed. Just turned 20 in December.

He's making bad decisions pretty much every time he can, but when he looks so technically proficient, so fast, so strong and works so hard, he'll keep giving himself chances in the squad.

No need to be writing him off yet.

Smith, Stewart and Teixeira are another matter, although the latter looks like a decent footballer.
    Wisdom is presumably gone as well, given his failure to get a breakthrough while being shuttled around the leagues, but I'm sure Klopp will give him pre-season at any rate.
    Randall has looked fairly useless but he's still only 20 as well so I'd imagine, unless Klopp has been persuaded by what he's seen every day in training, that he'll get a bit longer.

I've really liked the look of Brannagan. If you can plonk a 20 year old in to a top level(ish) match and he can look solid then that's pretty impressive.

So I'd imagine it'll be him, Ojo and Ibe from those that are here this season that'll be seeing the most time in the squad for the next year or so, with definitive decisions being made on Markovic and Yesil once they come back from loan by around January.

Hopefully Rossiter can recover as well. He seems to have been around for ages but at 18 he still has plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think Villa would gladly take Benteke back off us, probably for around £15-20m. Sell him and get Lacazette or Tex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Gbear wrote: »
    Ibe was pants again but he really is still very young indeed. Just turned 20 in December.

He's making bad decisions pretty much every time he can, but when he looks so technically proficient, so fast, so strong and works so hard, he'll keep giving himself chances in the squad.

Smith, Stewart and Teixeira are another matter, although the latter looks like a decent footballer.
    Wisdom is presumably gone as well, given his failure to get a breakthrough while being shuttled around the leagues, but I'm sure Klopp will give him pre-season at any rate.
    Randall has looked fairly useless but he's still only 20 as well so I'd imagine, unless Klopp has been persuaded by what he's seen every day in training, that he'll get a bit longer.

I've really liked the look of Brannagan. If you can plonk a 20 year old in to a top level(ish) match and he can look solid then that's pretty impressive.

So I'd imagine it'll be him, Ojo and Ibe from those that are here this season that'll be seeing the most time in the squad for the next year or so, with definitive decisions being made on Markovic and Yesil once they come back from loan by around January.

Hopefully Rossiter can recover as well. He seems to have been around for ages but at 18 he still has plenty of time.

Why isn't Ojo starting any of these matches if you've put him I that bracket?
    Also who played well today? Didn't get to see the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »

I rate Ibe. Agree with everything u said except I think his work rate is pretty poor tbh. Brannagan done very well.

rob316 wrote: »
    Surely there will be takers at £15m to £20m? It's a big loss but it was a transfer doomed from the start

If you look at the way transfers are going and the crazier and crazier TV deals, I don't think we'll have too much trouble getting north of 20m for him.
    Stoke, Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom or Swansea would all be options.

I'd be surprised if we chucked him this summer though.

When you've a lad who was scoring overhead vollies earlier in the season and has one of the strongest goals/games ratio of any striker in the league, a bad run of form in a team not playing to his strengths shouldn't be too much of a cause for concern for us, or any prospective buyer.

There'd be plenty of interest abroad as well, albeit from teams with less cash.

Ibe doesn't cut it for me so far.

For every good run there's 4 or 5 poor final balls.

Why isn't Ojo starting any of these matches if you've put him I that bracket?
    Also who played well today? Didn't get to see the game!

He's only 18. Other lads ahead of him that we needed to get sorted out.

Brannagan, Allen to some extent, the CBs were alright, Clyne was pretty good, Teixeira was probably our best attacker but we were poor enough going forward so that's not saying much. Subs were late so Ojo and Sinclair didn't have time to do a whole lot.

Ibe, Smith and Stewart weren't great.
    Enrique did an Aspas on a free kick in injury time.
    Benteke was pants.
    Mignolet was Mignolet and that's never a good thing.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think Villa would gladly take Benteke back off us, probably for around £15-20m. Sell him and get Lacazette or Tex.

They're gone now and nothing's really going to fix that.
    I doubt Learner would risk it at this stage.

I don't see what we have to lose from playing Benteke in all the league games and going 4-4-2 (in some shape or form).
    Not unless Klopp has already decided he's selling him.

We're ****ed anyway so we may as well see what we can get from him. It's not like we're actually scoring, or Milner, Henderson, Lallana or Ibe are tearing things up.

He doesn't look a great fit, but he does some neat and tidy bits outside the box and we know he has the capacity to score.
    You don't score 56 goals in 129 games at this level if you're a clown.

He's missing chances, but he's not getting enough to miss. Our delivery into the box is utter ****. Hendo's the only one in the entire squad who can whip a ball in.

I think if he can get over the hump and bag a few goals, he'd still be worth moving on, but he'd end up with a decent return from his time here and we'd get a few more quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That encapsulated much of our work under Klopp.

We nullified them in the main, had more chances, couldn't finish, and almost let them in for a cheap win with some buffoonery off set pieces and crosses.

We are so predictably unpredictable, purely because we're so erratic at either end of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't about everyone else but I'm happy enough with the squad we have now we should be well able to manage the quadruple with them once Sturridge is back.

376390.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

klose wrote: »
    That's what, the 12th nail in bentekes lfc career coffin?

Also, just lol Enrique.
    I think LMFAO rather than lol, tbh.
    I don't about everyone else but I'm happy enough with the squad we have now we should be well able to manage the quadruple with them once Sturridge is back.
    Once Sturridge is back?

Once?

Lets just face facts.

I doubt we will ever again see Sturridge in a Liverpool shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Does everyone that tore strips off Balotelli last season for not looking arsed feel the same about Benteke because he sure as hell does not look arsed?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With Coutinho and Origi due back soon hopefully we won't have to see too much more of Benteke struggling to do anything in games.

I think LMFAO rather than lol, tbh.

Once Sturridge is back?

Once?

Lets just face facts.

I doubt we will ever again see Sturridge in a Liverpool shirt.

I think you've had a "Woosh" moment there :)

I think you've had a "Woosh" moment there :)
    Yeah, reading back :o

The way I look at it right now is we are about to go into February still involved in every competition we started the season in one of those we have reached the final in with a bang average squad and a new world class manager that's pretty impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Smith deserves a run for me. Nobody else up to the standard yet. He has a great cross of the ball. I think he can make it at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think that Sturridge will get injured as soon as he's back. Controversial, I know, but I'll go out on limb.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think that Sturridge will get injured as soon as he's back. Controversial, I know, but I'll go out on limb.

Controversial indeed.

The notion that he'll play for us again, I mean.:o

• Advertisement

I have to say I have quiet liked what I've seen of Stewart in the last two games he has played he might not make the first 11 but I can see him making it as a cup and squad player going forward.

I have to say I have quiet liked what I've seen of Stewart in the last two games he has played he might not make the first 11 but I can see him making it as a cup and squad player going forward.

Yup, surprise package for me. I am quite enjoying klopps using of young players. For all Rodgers talk of youth players and academy players he rarely used any, klopp has no issues and it's great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was in the car and 909 was on and they were talking to a Postmouth fan who it seemed to be more worried about the team Liverpool put out than his own team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Definitely think Stewart should be watched closely, could be a cheap alternative to our defensive mid problems. Apart from some wild shots today he did a really good job of mopping up play. He can run with the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Playing all the younger players together is great, but I would like to see us start with one in first 11. It can make them look even better if they can blend with first team easily and make an impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Some of the shooting this evening was shocking, how many went high into the Kop. I dont expect them all to go close but some of these shots were brutal.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Some of the shooting this evening was shocking, how many went high into the Kop. I dont expect them all to go close but some of these shots were brutal.

Absolutely. I saw someone earlier say "Was there helium in the ball today?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    With Coutinho and Origi due back soon hopefully we won't have to see too much more of Benteke struggling to do anything in games.

When is Origi due back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »

so will he, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Once again Benteke shows why hes continously dropped from the squad.

I hope he goes in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Did'nt rate Stewart as highly as most in today's game i thought he was just ok? Maybe i did'nt watch him close enough.
    I also think Benteke was'nt all that bad either, i watched him a lot off the ball and the difference today was his positioning was better and he did try and play in behind them a few times at least, unfortunately he does'nt have the pace for that game.

Brannagan, Clyne and Tex i thought had decent games and Lovren is in serious danger of people calling him a good CB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Did'nt rate Stewart as highly as most in today's game i thought he was just ok? Maybe i did'nt watch him close enough.
    I also think Benteke was'nt all that bad either, i watched him a lot off the ball and the difference today was his positioning was better and he did try and play in behind them a few times at least, unfortunately he does'nt have the pace for that game.

Brannagan, Clyne and Tex i thought had decent games and Lovren is in serious danger of people calling him a good CB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was in the car and 909 was on and they were talking to a Postmouth fan who it seemed to be more worried about the team Liverpool put out than his own team

Did he give Ryan Fulton praise? Hope so cos he was excellent for them today, a top keeper in the making I think. Amazing how Liverpool might have three good youth keepers and yet two donkeys in the first team.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Once again Benteke shows why hes continously dropped from the squad.

I hope he goes in the summer

Knowing Benteke, he'll miss the transfer window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

martyos121 wrote: »
    It surprises me that Klopp has any concern about the financial end of things. He worked under a DOF at Dortmund which is standard in Germany, and wasn't even involved in signings, such was his trust in the DOF and look how well that paid off (Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Sokratis, Lewandowski, Reus, Hummels etc)

He needs to only worry about the football and man management, if he's given too many responsibilities he hasn't had before, it could unsettle him. Since he mentioned the issue of cost with the Teixeira transfer, it shows he has more involvement in that side of things which I'm not thrilled about. This transfer committee is a load of shîte in my opinion, it's halfway between a DOF and giving the manager full control of transfers. We'd be much better off scrapping it (shocking opinion alert) and hiring a good DOF, like Monchi (Sevilla) or Zorc (Dortmund) who have outstanding track records.
    You're entitled to your opinion but, Dortmund also have a transfer committee in place. In Klopp's time there it consisted of three people : Watzke (Club Chairman), Zorc (Director of Football) and Klopp. It was a democratic process, Klopp didn't always get the player he wanted but he didn't sulk about it. Liverpool's transfer committee was reported as consisting of four people: Ayre (CEO), Fallows (Head of Scouting), Edwards (Head on Analysis) and Klopp (First Team Manager). The Liverpool transfer committee is only spoken about because Klopp's predecessor sent a few journalists on a crusade against it. Rodgers wanted more control over transfers rather than focusing on getting the best from the players he had in the squad. Klopp is a far more balanced individual than Rodgers, he's happy with the transfer committee setup. He has also said that he has the final say on transfers at Liverpool.

Klopp isn't comfortable with the club pissing away money on players, that is a good thing. The club massively overpaid for the likes of Benteke, Lallana and Lovren. The fees involved were the kind you would expect to pay for the final piece of the jigsaw. We now have a jigsaw where a bunch of expensive pieces just don't fit, I don't think that folly will be repeated with Klopp as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Playing all the younger players together is great, but I would like to see us start with one in first 11. It can make them look even better if they can blend with first team easily and make an impression.

I was thinking the same today when Ojo came on, I'd like to see him get a few appearances with the first team, he'd be an ideal replacement for Ibe or Lallana with twenty minutes or so left.

I'd also like to see how either fullback would fair out in a strong side, but I'd imagine most will be in Harrys loan watch come next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/status/693070485974835200

I'm actually starting to think Danny has lost the fight mentally. Doubting we'll see him again this season
    Tusky wrote: »
    It's a bizarre case. I've never seen anything like it. Even if he does come back, it's only a matter of time before he'll be gone again.

_87973093_sturridge-injuries_8.png

He's a beaten docket. The signs were there in his pre Liverpool career

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same today when Ojo came on, I'd like to see him get a few appearances with the first team, he'd be an ideal replacement for Ibe or Lallana with twenty minutes or so left.

I'd also like to see how either fullback would fair out in a strong side, but I'd imagine most will be in Harrys loan watch come next season.

Hasn't Klopp said he wants the young players at Liverpool to keep them together and growing as a team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlie19 wrote: »

Hasn't Klopp said he wants the young players at Liverpool to keep them together and growing as a team?

He has, Kloppo is not a fan of loans though has of course allowed Canos and Fulton to go out. I'm fully expecting the FA Cup run to continue for as long as it does with the current match day 18 for the most part, maybe only a couple of places up for rotation - Origi and/or Firmino at the expense of Sinclair or even Benteke for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I didn't hear that, Its a nice idea and all but I dont think we'd have enough games to properly assess them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A whole lot of '' Strain''
    Some players have to be dragged off the pitch
    You could not drag Sturridge on pitch it seems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement