Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Other than his shooting, which was indeed fcuking dreadful, I'm not sure I'm seeing the criticisms of Stewart. I thought he did a good job in midfield and apart from his shooting, I thought he didn't look out of his depth.

His passing was on point, he had fantastic awareness of what and who was around him when receiving the ball. He took feint little touches to give himself that extra yard of space and was very clever with the way he played it out.

His tackling was strong and I think his anticipation when facing someone coming at him with the ball was good also. He was the bully rather than being bullied, which I thought was impressive given the more experienced players he was up against. Hustled and bustled players and harried them until either they took a heavy touch, he nicked the ball, or a team mate did. He tracked runners, gave support when needed and thought he linked well with Brannagan in particular (they have a very good understanding) and Allen in the middle.

Decision making in the final third is clearly not his forté, but thats not his job tbh. What his role is, he did very well IMO and I think he could be useful player for the cups this and next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've been banging the Cameron Brannagan drum for a while now and it's great that he didn't let me down. Of the midfielders in the U21s he is easily the one most likely to secure a spot in the senior squad. Stewart is 23 and with Can and Grujic younger plus Lucas likely to stay another season it's very hard to imagine he'll get time. Then he has the likes of Adam Philips and Pedro Chivirella coming up behind him. Rossiter is probably a gonner the last year has been very unkind to him and he still looks like a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I've been banging the Cameron Brannagan drum for a while now and it's great that he didn't let me down. Of the midfielders in the U21s he is easily the one most likely to secure a spot in the senior squad. Stewart is 23 and with Can and Grujic younger plus Lucas likely to stay another season it's very hard to imagine he'll get time. Then he has the likes of Adam Philips and Pedro Chivirella coming up behind him. Rossiter is probably a gonner the last year has been very unkind to him and he still looks like a kid.

Stewart is 22 according to Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Missed the second half so tried the anfield index show

Such a load of ****e

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rossiter doesn't seem to be injured. I assume Klopp just doesn't fancy him at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If benteke scored another seven or eight goals, thus repeating the first half of the season, then he'd get 15.

Wouldn't be an awful return from a player who looks lost in our setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

noodler wrote: »
    If benteke scored another seven or eight goals, thus repeating the first half of the season, then he'd get 15.

It's not just goals though, he contributes pretty much nothing to the team. He causes so many attacks to break down, even if he scores a goal a game he's probably costing us a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »
    Rossiter doesn't seem to be injured. I assume Klopp just doesn't fancy him at all?

Physioroom does have him listed as out until Feb 6th with a hamstring injury alright (unsurprisingly!);
    http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c13

I think he's actually been pretty much injured since Klopp arrived...remember Klopp freaking out about the FA for playing him in a bunch of games in a row for the U21's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought Stewart was younger Tbh. Like Teixeira, it's doubtful he will make the grade for us so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

noodler wrote: »

I'd be very confident if ings was fit he would score 15 league goals if played regularly. While at the same time contributing a whole lot more to our general play. It's hard to believe that so many on here last summer could see that benteke wasn't going to suit us and what the issues would be. Yet the powers that be were seemingly blind to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'd be very confident if ings was fit he would score 15 league goals if played regularly. While at the same time contributing a whole lot more to our general play. It's hard to believe that so many on here last summer could see that benteke wasn't going to suit us and what the issues would be. Yet the powers that be were seemingly blind to it.

Tim sherwoods comment in May last year rings true. "Villa cross more balls into the box than any other club in the league and Christian said he feeds off those. There is no point going to a club that does not cross the ball."

If we had wingers instead of driving everything up the congested middle then benteke would be better off. I have said it before, but a team needs to adapt to its strikers rather than the other way around. We simply have not done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have said it before, but a team needs to adapt to its strikers rather than the other way around. We simply have not done that.

The thought of us adapting to Benteke so he can score 1 goal in 2/3 games is a terrible idea. He's not the striker we need if Klopp wants to make us a successful football team. He'd be great if we want to finish 10-6 every season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Tim sherwoods comment in May last year rings true. "Villa cross more balls into the box than any other club in the league and Christian said he feeds off those. There is no point going to a club that does not cross the ball."

If we had wingers instead of driving everything up the congested middle then benteke would be better off. I have said it before, but a team needs to adapt to its strikers rather than the other way around. We simply have not done that.

Valid points, however we have no one in the match day squad capable of crossing the ball,taking a corner or a free kick. It's pathetic.

Ibe is still very raw but someone needs to have a word in his ear. Holds the ball far too long, won't cross when the opportunity is there, attempts a cross I. E kicks the ball at their defender and the wrong time every time.. back to basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    The thought of us adapting to Benteke so he can score 1 goal in 2/3 games is a terrible idea. He's not the striker we need if Klopp wants to make us a successful football team. He'd be great if we want to finish 10-6 every season though.

He already is, pretty much.

.45 goals per 90.

Particularly against teams who sit back I don't see the downside of throwing him on instead of someone like Milner.

We can't get any worse at attacking and at least he, unlike anyone else bar Firmino, had some sort of goalscoring track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The biggest problem with Benteckers is not that he doesn't fit the system its his lack of confidence at the moment, he's not even holding up the ball which he's usually very good at, It could be just need more time to settle, I definitely haven't given up on him yet.

• Advertisement

The biggest problem with Benteckers is not that he doesn't fit the system its his lack of confidence at the moment, he's not even holding up the ball which he's usually very good at, It could be just need more time to settle, I definitely haven't given up on him yet.
    There's 3 months of the season left. When will you give up on him?

Looking at the Stoke game, I thought he had turned a corner. He had a few good moves and actually looked interested for a while. I remember him beating 2 players in the box with a neat move and was happy that he was getting into the groove.

Yesterday, he looked totally out of sync with the rest of the team again, stopping when he should be moving, waiting at the edge of the box or the sideline when he should be powering into the box and generally looking like it was his first time playing for the team.

Imo, it's time for him to shape up or ship out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's depressing watching Benteke lumbering around at the moment.

An competent manager/DoF buys players to suit the system - a system that all agree is the one to pursue, anything else is madness and a vast waste of money. Liverpool has wasted a vast amount of money on wrong strikers in recent years. The fact the TC wanted Firmino (right player for the system) and Rodgers insisted on Benteke (wrong player for the system) tells us so much.

TC - Good
    BR - Bad

TC - Good
    BR - Bad

• Advertisement

5 years ago today...:D

eW3M9Jw.jpg

Just got tickets for the Sunderland game. Was just wondering does the ferry sailing get cancelled due to weather much or am I safer booking a flight.

Gbear wrote: »
    He already is, pretty much.

.45 goals per 90.

Particularly against teams who sit back I don't see the downside of throwing him on instead of someone like Milner.

We can't get any worse at attacking and at least he, unlike anyone else bar Firmino, had some sort of goalscoring track record.

I like Benteke, I just dont think he's going to be a great striker for us as he cant change his game. No problems with him as a backup at all. I'm confident that purchases like this will be knocked on the head now though. Klopp will buy players who can play the way he wants.

Since Klopp came in Firmino has scored 5 goals and 5 assists from 11 starts, not always playing as a CF and is perfectly suited to how we play up front......I dont understand why people would rather Benteke start and we adapt to him? Firmino will only get better IMO and I think is Klopps starting CF.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I'd much prefer Firmino start than Benteke as said above Firmino is only going to get better and by the looks of things Benteke will not as we are just not going to play the way he would like.

Were not going to change now so either cut our losses and sell him or hang onto him which I don't think is a great option for a £32m man as we could get decent money to reinvest into the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People just don't get it, he can't adapt to.how this club play. It's sentimental talking about playing about playing the ball on the floor I know but that is how we have always played best.
    Pace and intelligent attacking players, strikers who hang off the shoulder of the last defender.

I read klopp has used 26 players this season, I ask why should 25 players change the style of play to accommodate one player.

He will never be a success here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rumors of a deal for Cheryshev of real madrid. A loan with an option to buy. Cant say ive seen much of him to be honest so dont know if hes any use

5 years ago today...:D

eW3M9Jw.jpg

Its not Benteke is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't see anyone coming in at this late stage.
    We tried though, and good to see us trying for quality.
    No point in signing someone just for the sake of it.
    Would rather see some of the younger players giving a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just got tickets for the Sunderland game. Was just wondering does the ferry sailing get cancelled due to weather much or am I safer booking a flight.

I think the fast ferry is prone to cancellation a lot, especially in winter, but the slower ferry is a lot more reliable. Saying that though, it's not a method of travel I use much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mosstin wrote: »
    Bull****.
    mosstin wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

:pac:

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the fast ferry is prone to cancellation a lot, especially in winter, but the slower ferry is a lot more reliable. Saying that though, it's not a method of travel I use much.

Cheers was thinking that. I just went with flights bringing my son for his first time so can't take the chance.

It's not an either/or situation with Firmino/Benteke.

We're not scoring enough. We're not creating chances.

We have nothing to lose in attack.

I think the 4th CM we're currently playing is largely redundant.
    Can, Milner or Lucas would be the one I'd drop to the bench, in increasing order of attack-mindedness, depending on the opposition.

I'd go for this:
    Mignolet
    Clyne--Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
    Lucas
    ---Hendo-Lallana--Can
    Firmino---Benteke

As an added bonus, Benteke is decent at defending set pieces.

With Coutinho and Origi coming in for Can/Lucas and Origi coming in for Benteke when they're fit.

I'd rather have us play naively but aspirationally in a league that's a dead rubber than whatever it is we're doing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Gbear wrote: »
    As an added bonus, Benteke is decent at defending set pieces.

cheering_minions.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We are creating plenty of chances for Benteke he just isn't putting them away.

I wouldn't say plenty.
    Enough that he should be doing better, of course.

He's off form. It doesn't mean he can't be on form again.

He showed plenty of composure when he played for Villa. It wasn't all just thumping the ball and getting lucky. He's a good finisher.

I think it's something that needs playing through, and in the absence of having anything else to do during league games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This has always been Benteke the last few years. Look at him at Villa the last 2 seasons he was terrible for most of the season then hit form at the backend.

I always was hesitant against him being signed along with a lot of others. Guess so far we've been right

Benteke has a pass accuracy of 66%, shots accuracy of 41% and created 23 chances.

14/15 season pass accuracy was 67%, shot accuracy of 45% and 33 chances created.
    13/14 Season pass accuracy was 61%, shot accuracy 53% and 46 chances created.
    12/13 season pass accuracy was 65%, shot accuracy 59% and 53 chances created.

Theres nothing to suggest that he's terribly off form really when it comes to what matters most.....his stats are fairly constant when it comes to passing/shooting/creating.....

• Advertisement

Mr.Boywunder has a few clips up on yesterdays match. This is Stewarts clip, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Liverpool fc/West Ham Utd will play Blackburn Rover away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool fc/West Ham Utd will play Blackburn Rover away

Worth winning the replay then

8-10 wrote: »
    Worth winning the replay then
    When will the replay of that tie be, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

I saw somewhere pancake tuesday Ie 9th feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It will have to be next week as week after is European game and then the next round

• Advertisement

Tues 9th or wed 10th. As things stand the derby can't be refixed until April. If we get through in the FA Cup there is going to be a serious fixture pile up as league games get postponed for FA Cup qf and sf.

Probably best for Klopp to do something a bit radical and throw the league for the Cups! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Probably best for Klopp to do something a bit radical and throw the league for the Cups! :D

And somehow make it look like that wasn't the only option left :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fa Cup looking winnable if we make it to final and win.

Need to beat West Ham to progress though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fa Cup looking winnable if we make it to final and win.

Need to beat West Ham to progress though.

Are you Owen in disguise???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement