Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Caulker. LOL. Even on loan, it'd be too long a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

caulker eh.. at least were not panic buying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ricero wrote: »
    Ah jasus were looking stingey. I honestly thought klopp would of been backed to the hilt in his first transfer window. Unless their keeping funds for the summer

I wonder has Klopp decided to wait to be honest.

Everyone knows there is better value in the summer and you can bed players into the team easier over a decent preseason.

Maybe he just wanted to get a good feel for the squad and then improve on the areas that need most work in the summer. Hard to know to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Caulker? Bargain basement shopping at its finest.

They are all running with it, my god that's embarrassing. It reminds me of West Hams Julian Faubert going to Real Madrid on loan.

I'm hoping we are skimping here because Klopp see's a striker as more of a priority.

That 4th spot is still up for grabs, some sensible investment and we can make a real go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

maybe he can help build our striker's confidence in training when they can train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mother of god, Caulker.... CAULKER!?

Unless Klopp has some sort of sixth sense we dont see about him this is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

rob316 wrote: »
    Caulker? Bargain basement shopping at its finest.

They are all running with it, my god that's embarrassing. It reminds me of West Hams Julian Faubert going to Real Madrid on loan.

I'm hoping we are skimping here because Klopp see's a striker as more of a priority.

That 4th spot is still up for grabs, some sensible investment and we can make a real go at it.

I think your assessment of Klopps talent spotting is embarrassing. It's very easy to pay big bucks for someone who ticks all the boxes, anyone can do that and if unlimted resources are available a la Man City then sure, why bother trying to identify under appreciated or imperfect talent when you can just buy the finished article but even that doesn't work out too well all the time e.g. Torres to Chelsea, Falcao, Mangala to City, Shevchenko etc etc.

Caulker is 24 and has had a dip in form over the last 2-3 years but he had enough talent to get an England cap aged 21 playing for Cardiff FFS!!

I think Caulker could be the perfect example of "undervalued talent" and if Klopp is half the coach and motivator we believe he is he could take that raw talent which has gone off the rails and get it back on track. What's the downside? If we can buy Caulker for a few Million and it doesn't work out we're not going to lose on him. If he does work out and that means we have a bigger budget for another player then it's a win win.

Let's trust Klopp.

BTW, if you want to understand how to identify undervalued talent spend a few minutes watching this:

Rasmus Ankersen is the chairman of Danish league club Midtjylland who spend a lot of time identifying undervalued talent and won the Danish league for the very first time last year. Cynics will call it "Moneyball" type wizardry but spotting talent is one of the key attributes you need in a manager and if Klopp thinks Caulker has the raw material to do a job for us I for one will support rather than ridicule that decision.

Funny how all the keyboard warriors always know what not to do isn't it? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the transfer committee's room for that one:

"Is he a good defender?"

"No."

"Can he play anywhere else then?"

"No."

"Who does he even play for?"

"Southamp..."

"Ian, rev up the Harley, we're heading down south again!"

I think your assessment of Klopps talent spotting is embarrassing. It's very easy to pay big bucks for someone who ticks all the boxes, anyone can do that and if unlimted resources are available a la Man City then sure, why bother trying to identify under appreciated or imperfect talent when you can just buy the finished article but even that doesn't work out too well all the time e.g. Torres to Chelsea, Falcao, Mangala to City, Shevchenko etc etc.

Caulker is 24 and has had a dip in form over the last 2-3 years but he had enough talent to get an England cap aged 21 playing for Cardiff FFS!!

I think Caulker could be the perfect example of "undervalued talent" and if Klopp is half the coach and motivator we believe he is he could take that raw talent which has gone off the rails and get it back on track. What's the downside? If we can buy Caulker for a few Million and it doesn't work out we're not going to lose on him. If he does work out and that means we have a bigger budget for another player then it's a win win.

Let's trust Klopp.

BTW, if you want to understand how to identify undervalued talent spend a few minutes watching this:

Rasmus Ankersen is the chairman of Danish league club Midtjylland who spend a lot of time identifying undervalued talent and won the Danish league for the very first time last year. Cynics will call it "Moneyball" type wizardry but spotting talent is one of the key attributes you need in a manager and if Klopp thinks Caulker has the raw material to do a job for us I for one will support rather than ridicule that decision.

Cheers for that :rolleyes:

You missed one vital aspect....its Stephen Caulker. He is a brainless defender. Southampton and QPR don't want him, what makes you think he has any chance at Liverpool. Laughing stock of the transfer market again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Weird signing alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wouldn't have put Caulker on my list of targets by any stretch, but my recollection of him at Cardiff and Swansea is far from "brainless". QPR was a mess of a team, and for whatever reason it hasn't worked out at Southampton, but I'm surprised at the absolute writing off of this one.

That said, I wouldn't waste our time - sign a good defender now instead. Pay whatever it will cost because we bloody need one, not another stop gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd love to see the overlap of people losing their shít at us signing Caulker based on him only making 3 Southampton appearances and those who were delighted that Ilori was finally going to get a chance to show what he can do despite not playing once for Aston Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

what makes you think he has any chance at Liverpool. Laughing stock of the transfer market again.

Three things:-

1. He played 26 games for Swansea in the PL aged just 20 and 38 games for Cardiff in the PL aged just 21.

2. He was selected for the GB Olympic team and got a full England cap aged 21.

3. I trust Klopp.

It's clear he's lost his way somehow. Maybe the move to QPR turned bad for him for whatever reason, could be a load of things. QPR was/is a fairly dysfunctional club with managerial changes etc and his loan move to Southampton isn't working out either but that doesn't mean the talent he showed for Swansea and Cardiff can't be resurrected if he is given the right support and has the right manager.

Instead of looking at him as a 24 year old has been (which is the easy thing to do) why not view him as an opportunity? He has his best physical years ahead of him, he won't be expensive and if he accepts the opportunity to work with Klopp he might just realise he'll never get another chance like this ever again.

Also, don't forget we already have 5 centre halves out injured so as they come back there won't be a reliance on Caulker and he can spend a few months getting his form back. If he takes Toure's spot in the squad as 4th or 5th choice CB and begins to challenge for a starting spot where is the downside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the overlap of people losing their shít at us signing Caulker based on him only making 3 Southampton appearances and those who were delighted that Ilori was finally going to get a chance to show what he can do despite not playing once for Aston Villa.

Seems pretty logical to me.
    Llori as unlikely as it may be could be the greatest defender in the history of world football. Not getting into an Aston villa side could be just one more in a lengthy list of bad decisions by that club .
    He was highly rated when we bought him and we have never seen what he can really do , hence the interest and optimism

Everybody knows exactly what Caulker gets you. Hence the dismay and pessimism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Let's trust Klopp.

Thought this was by Je Suis Mario at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm with you Jean. A lot of people on here wanted him outright when he went to Cardiff. He definitely had the potential then, and has not shown that potential since, but I think it's still there.

But instead, why not recall Wisdom? He can play CB, and we are short on RB cover, although Randall has done ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Play him as a centre forward - target man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This.

Dortmund have moved to end speculation that Subotic is moving so that leaves the rumoured centre-back options as...

1. No new signing, just struggle on with what we have
    2. Tiago Ilori - the new, great hope (or not) - Couldn't get into the Villa side
    3. Joel Matip - Schalke are apparently opposed to the idea of letting him go now
    4. Andrea Ranocchia - beating the mighty Norwich to this one
    5. Steven Caulker - can't get into the Southampton team. Only start all season came in August, behind Maya Yoshida in the pecking order.

any preferences?

Seems pretty logical to me.
    Llori as unlikely as it may be could be the greatest defender in the history of world football. Not getting into an Aston villa side could be just one more in a lengthy list of bad decisions by that club .
    He was highly rated when we bought him and we have never seen what he can really do , hence the interest and optimism

Everybody knows exactly what Caulker gets you. Hence the dismay and pessimism

Ilori is in his 3rd season where he's gone out on loan. 4 teams in 2 and a half years have seen "what he can really do", namely 'get injured and defend poorly', making 25 appearances total in all that time; that includes last Friday. He'll be 23 next month.

Caulker has made 120 appearances in the Premier League (including one season where he played every minute of every game), scoring 8 times. He's played and scored for England. He's just turned 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Ilori is in his 3rd season where he's gone out on loan. 4 teams in 2 and a half years have seen "what he can really do", namely 'get injured and defend poorly', making 25 appearances total in all that time; that includes last Friday. He'll be 23 next month.

Caulker has made 120 appearances in the Premier League (including one season where he played every minute of every game), scoring 8 times. He's played and scored for England. He's just turned 24.

I'd like us to be aiming higher than Caulker but it's true what you said, he's a significant step up from Ilori, who should be shown the door in the Summer imo.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    I'd like us to be aiming higher than Caulker but it's true what you said, he's a significant step up from Ilori, who should be shown the door in the Summer imo.

Certainly if Ilori can't be proven good enough in the next 5 months he will be sold. Impressing Klopp and staying fit in that time is a tall ask for a player with his record though.

I agree we should be aiming higher than Caulker. I think our interest in him is born of Klopp's unwillingness to buy in the Winter, the club's unwillingness to spend more money than we need to, and the idea that a player of his early promise with something to prove will give his all. Similar to Ilori this 5 month period could be seen as his last real chance.

One supposes that injury to Lloyd Jones and Wisdoms loan conditions combined with unwillingness to spend any real money now has resulted in this, hopefully though Caulker will need to do no more than warm the PL bench and play the odd cameo in the EL/FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Caulker? Really?

Strange days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

At least we got somebody in, however meh most of you feel about it
    I am very fearful of the thoughts of having Lucas as our centre half. Not great in the air, and not the fastest. Would be very easy for opposition teams to exploit this

I think its a risky signing, but could work out ok for us in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

brevity wrote: »
    Caulker? Really?

Strange days.

Strange days indeed.

I see Jonjo Shelvey is on the verge of a £12m switch to Newcastle....almost makes Lallana look like a canny purchase

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why on earth are we constantly critising players before they touch a ball for us?

Caulker could come good in our team, we have to trust in the manager on this one now.

Internet talk of Liverpool will get 30% so that's nearly £4 million which is enough to buy a German centre back! :pac:

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Strange days indeed.

I see Jonjo Shelvey is on the verge of a £12m switch to Newcastle....almost makes Lallana look like a canny purchase

He's PERFECT for Newcastle.

I see we have a 30% sell-on clause there - £3.6M for nothing!

Internet talk of Liverpool will get 30% so that's nearly £4 million which is enough to buy a German centre back! :pac:

Unfortunately Klopp doesn't know to look in the Bundesliga! Much better players there, better value etc...

• Advertisement

Also talk that Swansea might come in for Allen to replace him, assume they could get him for about the same £10M fee. Would we go for a CM to replace him, or promote Rossiter/Brannagan/Teixeira on a more permanent basis to first team duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No problem with caulker on loan. He will only play if two of sakho skrtel lovren are injured and is a better option than the other back ups we have.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Also talk that Swansea might come in for Allen to replace him, assume they could get him for about the same £10M fee. Would we go for a CM to replace him, or promote Rossiter/Brannagan/Teixeira on a more permanent basis to first team duties?

Well Grujic is coming to join the first team and so if Allen left and maybe one other (Milner who would be easy to sell from a book keeping POV) you'd have to suppose the club will want to bring in a top level player - someone like Leroy Sane continues to be linked but there would still be room to promote one player - Brannagan would have to be that player for me (I think Rossiter will leave in the summer, Cameron has shot past him in the pecking order).

Dickerty wrote: »

If you want to sign one of our fit players, there's a £5m compensation tax.

Seriously though how Liverpool would it be for us to sell Joe Allen back to Swansea at a loss when he's one of our only fit players a week after playing one of his best games for the club?

£10m for allen? Sorry but sell sell sell.

His contract is up next year and he hasn't been offered a new one. Couldn't see the club passing that one up if a bid did come in.

£10m for allen? Sorry but sell sell sell.

His contract is up next year and he hasn't been offered a new one. Couldn't see the club passing that one up if a bid did come in.

You'd sell him today? So going into the Arsenal and United games you'd be another body down? With a cup replay and a League Cup semifinal later this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Signing a CB on loan makes a lot more sense than buying one you won't need at the end of the season and are stuck with on a 3/5 year contract.

Caulker is an ok loan signing as cover for 4th choice CB behind Sakho, Lovern and Skrtel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Shelvey watch has just got more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Shelvey to Newcastle.

An indication that he won't make it a big club?

djPSB wrote: »
    Shelvey to Newcastle.

An indication that he won't make it a big club?

oh-boy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Caulker, as meh a signing you could imagine but hopefully he does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ffs.

Newcastle fans already have it tough.

Liverpool FC ✔
    @LFC

#LFC have completed the signing of Steven Caulker on loan from Queens Park Rangers until the end of the season.
    1:00 PM - 12 Jan 2016

383 Retweets
    179 likes
    :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No problem whatsoever with us bringing in Caulker on loan. Even if he's useless, at least he will provide cover. If he's decent, then there's a possibility we will be able to sign him on the cheap this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Also - another £4M for Shelvey is like a late Christmas present. I actually feel sorry for Newcastle, because I am not at all convinced he is the type of character that they need in a relegation dogfight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

All I can say about Caulker is he's a better option than putting Lucas back there. I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Klopp bringing in one of Rodgers' old players. Who would've called that?

Normally I wouldn't be that confident in this, but seeing Klopp turn Lovren into a passable defender has made me optimistic. Best of luck to him, hopefully see him get a run out in the FA Cup replay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Caulker Checklist
    - Fit. Check.
    - PL experience. Check.
    - Can play ball. Check.
    - Calm. Check.
    - Phyiscal. Check.
    - Could slot straight in. Check?.

I'd like to see Ilori get a chance, but he looks like he has fitness problems, he was sh@gged in the last game after about 20 minutes. Other than that, composed and smooth in how he does things.

I'd take Caulker over him now though for the next game.

I'd take Caulker over some of the other players from Germany and Italy being mentioned as they may need to adapt to environment and language before being able to get used to our style.

Loan deal is perfect as we can rectify that in the Summer.

I don't think it's a bad option at all, as above, better than Lucas there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

We signed Caulker so fast Spurs didn't even get a chance to rob him off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Caulker on loan.

Final nail in the Enrique coffin. He really should look for a club in Spain at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Given that a recent game we had Jose Enrique as CB and Ilori was replaced by Joe Maguire I am happy that Caulker will add some depth in the short term.

He will also be trying his very best to impress in the hope of getting a full time move.

I really don't see a downside to this loan signing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement