Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just an observation having watched tonight's game and your game against West Ham the other night.

The younger players mightn't have the talent of the first team but they have far more heart and willingness to get stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You'd keep Gomez and Ings who have played what 12 games between them for Liverpool?

Yet you'd ship out the likes of Henderson(good player obviously badly affected by this heel injury), Firmino (clearly a very good player still adapting to the league) and Sturridge (great scoring record when's he's not dead).

You sir should be awarded the most ridiculous post of the evening and its still early yet but I highly doubt your will be topped.

Joe Gomez is a future superstar and Danny ings did nothing wrong deserves a chance

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

For goal number 1 i was roaring at Lovern to attack the f*cking ball.
    For goal number 2 i was roaring at Sahko to attack the f*cking ball.

Our players are f*cking lightweights when it comes to winning the ball, they just stick a toe in most of the time.
    There was no-one there on the pitch for us that took that game by the scruff of the neck to try get us back into it.
    Lucas was trying but was just bouncing the ball between the centre halves.
    Can done his usual of being to slow to find a pass, and then when he does see it, he plays it behind the man.
    Benteke was on a walk about and gave the ball away too cheaply. You're a big lad Christian, make your presence felt.
    Firmino, frustrating tonight. Tries tricks and flicks in the opposition half when we are chasing a game and loses the ball.
    Lalana, looked better when he dropped deeper and central, other than that he was running nowhere.
    Milner tried his best, but he is not a game changer and ultimately is slowing us down on the way forward. I had higher hopes for him.

My one message to the whole squad is to grow a pair and put in a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A Firmino, Lallana, Milner front 3 has all the cutting edge of a blunt butter knife.

Firmino has some promise with better players around him. As for the other two.

Would agree with this. Milner and Lallana would be two players I would be happy to see offloaded this summer. They typify the English footballer, charge around like a headless chicken and no intelligence or guile. Put Coutinho and another intelligent player up there and it's a different story.

Add Mignolet and Benteke to the list of players who should be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Henderson still feeling the affects of his plantar fasciitis. Definitely not back to 100% yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Maybe Klopp has already written off the league and this is now the second team and he's been playing the first team in the cups...

Keanu-Reeves-Meme-Whoa-02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Leicester are far from utter garbage.

They've played very well this season and have been consistent, scored plenty of goals and havent conceded to many.

They've given a lot of the 'top' teams a run for their money this season and fair play to Raneiri and the team for that.
    He wasn't referring to Leicester City

Yes. Yes I was.

It says very bad things about the league that a championship side is 2 decent strikers, some pragmatic defensive football and putting in a shift away from the top of the table.

This league is absolute total and utter ****.

Good fun and all that, but the quality is abysmal.

It makes all the money sloshing around even more farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

A Firmino, Lallana, Milner front 3 has all the cutting edge of a blunt butter knife.

Firmino has some promise with better players around him. As for the other two.
    Firmino looks great with a bit of space, very intelligent at playing the ball into space for others to run on to, the problem with playing with Lallana and Milner is the two of them make runs into the same space as Firmino, everyone in each others way and easy to defend against. Leicester were very good at playing the ball quickly into space, trusting their teammates to be making runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd just play the best Academy players

That's your dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rob316 wrote: »
    he just can't keep picking the same players who contribute nothing.

Whats the alternatives though? Play the academy players? He cant drop them all....

• Advertisement

Most of these players were rested
    Should be made clean the canteen cut the grass clean the bogs last thing they deserve is a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Our players are f*cking lightweights when it comes to winning the ball, they just stick a toe in most of the time.
    There was no-one there on the pitch for us that took that game by the scruff of the neck to try get us back into it.
    Can done his usual of being to slow to find a pass, and then when he does see it, he plays it behind the man.
    Benteke was on a walk about and gave the ball away too cheaply. You're a big lad Christian, make your presence felt.
    Firmino, frustrating tonight. Tries tricks and flicks in the opposition half when we are chasing a game and loses the ball.
    Lalana, looked better when he dropped deeper and central, other than that he was running nowhere.
    Milner tried his best, but he is not a game changer and ultimately is slowing us down on the way forward. I had higher hopes for him.

For the first goal lovern didn't want to commit himself. If a striker wants to try a volley from there I don't see a problem. They are a one in 50 shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This Klopp lad is clueless, or beginning to look clueless - how on earth do you expect to win games with Henderson / Can / Lucas / Milner as a midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

That's the word that came in to my mind watching that game. This team has absolutely no presence.

There isn't one player in that starting line up that you would say you are excited about seeing playing.

It's like we've got 11 boring James Milner's on the pitch!! :)

Slattsy wrote: »
    This Klopp lad is clueless, or beginning to look clueless - how on earth do you expect to win games with Henderson / Can / Lucas / Milner as a midfield.

He should replace them with all the strikers goalscorers we have knocking around.

Oh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

8-10 wrote: »
    That's your dream!

I'm serious, the senior pros are nothing of the sort. Branagan, Smith, Ojo and Kent should all be considered for the rest of the league.

Who would you play in midfield as replacements......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

niallo27 wrote: »
    For the first goal lovern didn't want to commit himself. If a striker wants to try a volley from there I don't see a problem. They are a one in 50 shot

A defender should not be letting the opposition get to the ball first.
    A defender should not be letting the opposition get a shot off because of percentages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Because there is nobody else. Unless he just throws in the kids and Joe Allen (who probably deserves to start at the moment).

Who should he have played in midfield instead?

• Advertisement

In fairness Lucas doing the best of that 4.

Allen / Ibe / and Texiera deserve a chance, as the others are braindead and offer zero.

Henderson is the biggest fraud in the squad fwiw.

Smith should also be playing left full also tbh.

In fairness Lucas doing the best of that 4.

Allen / Ibe / and Texiera deserve a chance, as the others are braindead and offer zero.

Henderson is the biggest fraud in the squad fwiw.

Smith should also be playing left full also tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm afraid klopp deserves heavy criticism here, he just can't keep picking the same players who contribute nothing.
    Henderson wad awful but he seems to be really struggling trying to play through this injury.
    Lucas, can, lallana, Milner, moreno all out the door in the summer please.

A big gripe with rodgers was how he kept playing the same players and I am hoping klopp dosent follow suit, I want to see quite a few changes at the weekend.

Who should he have played in midfield instead?

Joe Allen for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A defender should not be letting the opposition get to the ball first.
    A defender should not be letting the opposition get a shot off because of percentages.

It was a decent ball into space. You can win every ball. If lovern had attacked that ball vardy would have done him easily and then we would have crucified the bloke for jumping in. Now the second goal that was a disgrace

It was a decent ball into space. You can win every ball. If lovern had attacked that ball vardy would have done him easily and then we would have crucified the bloke for jumping in. Now the second goal that was a disgrace

Why do you keep saying Vardy would have done him easily when it was obvious Vardy was lining up the shot before the ball dropped to him.

He would have had no time to readjust had Lovren just kept running at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

The 11th commandment. Thou shalt not insult Mr Klopp.

We do not have a choice of midfielders to replace the ones above.

Where we are is a direct reflection of years and years of failure in recruitment........its unfair for people to lay the blame at Klopp, given the ****e at his disposal. Rodgers got sacked for his performance but how the transfer committee is still in place is hard to understand......

Joe Allen for one

You're preaching to the choir. I've been beating the Joe Allen drum for a while now. Can't understand why he's not starting more.

• Advertisement

Joe Allen for one

Has been very good in every performance......not sure what the guy needs to do to get a game......that is a head scratcher alright.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Where we are is a direct reflection of years and years of failure in recruitment........its unfair for people to lay the blame at Klopp, given the ****e at his disposal. Rodgers got sacked for his performance but how the transfer committee is still in place is hard to understand......

I'd say they're only in place until the end of the season.

Could even be the reason no serious money was spent this transfer window.

Our defence isn't great or anything, and obviously part of that is down to the personnel, but I really wouldn't fancy playing for a team where you know you're going to be under pressure for the entire game because there's nobody up front doing their jobs.

What a dream it must be for opposition strikers. Even if the CBs do a pretty good job of keeping you quiet you know you'll get at least one chance at some stage and it'll probably be enough to win the game.

The CBs are ****ting it the whole time because they're the only thing standing between a draw and a loss.

No pressure at all on the strikers. Just faff about until something bounces your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whats the alternatives though? Play the academy players? He cant drop them all....

Some of them but I'd start with allen for can, moreno for flanno and teixeira for Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah look lads, this is treaded ground.

We all know what needs to ve done in the summer. Let's just drink the next 14 games away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I have to agree with this. Lovren slows up because he's expecting Vardy to pull it back. Instead, Vardy volleys it from 30 yards on the corner of the box. On most other occasions thats sliced, or hitting Row Z.

Both of Vardy's goals reminded me of Suarez in his pomp. The first was the kinda goal he'd get against Norwich. The second was the typical run that Suarez would make as he expected the deflection/the bobble/the defensive blunder. Its so disappointing we don't have anyone like that anymore. Some of the garbage we played was infuriating. I threw a cushion across the room at one stage as Lallana skied yet another long-range shot over the bar.

(Sidenote: How depressing must it be for our CBs to head up for a corner, only for us to play it short and lose it... every ****ing time...)

• Advertisement

The idea of a transfer committee doesn't bother me too much, its who is on the transfer committee is the problem. Since we brought in Fallows and Hunter from City the transfers have gotten worse. Just like our goalkeepers have looked poor since Achtenburg arrived. Surely these staff have to be held somewhat responsible for the state of the squad

Its funny that even up to a few weeks ago lads in here were telling me that Leicester will not make top 4, that they are starting to slide and that they are this years Southampton and only a matter of time before they fall out of the top 4........i wonder what those lads are thinking now...

Oh no, people were perhaps wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the most obvious thing about our attacking play tonight, so here we go.

Movement, or rather the severe lack of it, attack after attack the same 3 or 4 players standing ahead of the ball, man marked, and yet none of them tried to find space. We must be the easiest team in the world to defend against.
    When we get into the final third of the pitch the football magically turns into a hot grenade, nobody wants it.

Shocking game, did'nt deserve anything out of it.

Not taking anything away from Leciester tonight but the league really is piss poor quality this year, it's laughable with the amount of money being spent by clubs not just us on players who would look out of their depth in any of the other top leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the most obvious thing about our attacking play tonight, so here we go.

Movement, or rather the severe lack of it, attack after attack the same 3 or 4 players standing ahead of the ball, man marked, and yet none of them tried to find space. We must be the easiest team in the world to defend against.
    When we get into the final third of the pitch the football magically turns into a hot grenade, nobody wants it.

Not taking anything away from Leciester tonight but the league really is piss poor quality this year, it's laughable with the amount of money being spent by clubs not just us on players who would look out of their depth in any of the other top leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

how the transfer committee is still in place is hard to understand......

This again??? How many times does Klopp have to confirm that he and only he determines who comes to the club and how the budget he has at his disposal is spent? Maybe the way the TC operated under Rodgers was dysfunctional but do you really think he'd have agreed to join the club unless he was happy with how transfer decisions are made?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Truly depressing watching us at the moment. Some of the senior players who were rested for tonight need to be rested for a couple of lge games, they really were truly awful. Start a few of the youngsters who will give it their all , they cannot be worse.

Klopp will turn us around. I am confident of that. By this time next year, we will hopefully have a much changed squad, got rid of a lot of players who simply are a name/english international but not good enough. We are crying out for one Proper striker, add in our injured strikers, shake up our midfield, bring in a solid centre back, and get our defence to attack the ball- basic yes , but I am tired of seeing us leave the ball bounce, its ridiculous.

Also , just once, I would love to see Mig come for a ball, win it and proper flatten an opposing player , he's too soft.

Christ its hard at the moment but I am expecting big changes in our style, performances and results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Maybe Klopp is going for the cup by playing the younger players as they have shown more desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So are people finally come to terms that we really do have a p1ss poor squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its funny that even up to a few weeks ago lads in here were telling me that Leicester will not make top 4, that they are starting to slide and that they are this years Southampton and only a matter of time before they fall out of the top 4........i wonder what those lads are thinking now...

I was making excuses for them pre Xmas. Really look the real deal, bit like a mini me of us 2 seasons ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yep that's getting thanked twice

Umaro wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. Lovren slows up because he's expecting Vardy to pull it back. Instead, Vardy volleys it from 30 yards on the corner of the box. On most other occasions thats sliced, or hitting Row Z.

If he was doing his job he'd know his GK was off his line and Vardy was completely isolated.......the ball was bouncing and it was obvious to me at least that he was going to hit it, Lovren didn't even put pressure on him, a free shot with the keeper off his line? Always dangerous to give that space to a decent striker.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What the **** is going on with Benteke?!

Its like he's been watching Andy Carroll videos the way he slowly saunters around and hides behind his man.

Look at this, like.

Where's the guy with a bit of energy and aggression that used to fight and scrap to win the ball, and had a bit of quickness in his feet to turn and shoot? Now when he gets it to feet its like watching a confused elephant.

Now, we could be doing better with our service to him - he obviously thrives on back post headers and we frankly don't find him anywhere near enough - but his overall game completely lacks the tenacity, aggression and skill that he used to show. We saw a glimpse in the cup game against Exeter when he ran at a few players, and played in Tex, but he just seems to have no interest in doing that on a regular basis. or much else really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

What worries me is that Klopp has failed to get the team to play to a higher standard. I expected him to get the team to do the basics right and in light of how the league has developed we should be in contention for top 4. Our form is no better than when BR was in charge and the reality is that Klopp has failed to shape this team into anything better. The only positive of his tenure thus far has been his honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm serious, the senior pros are nothing of the sort. Branagan, Smith, Ojo and Kent should all be considered for the rest of the league.

There's a lot to be said for this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not our year.
    Could be that simple
    Football can have no logic
    You can dominate a game
    You can outwork the opposition
    And you can lose and deserve to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement