Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Let him hit it lets say is a 1 in 50 chance so 2% ( i think its 1 in 100 personally)
    You keep your run and instead of hitting it he taps it inside, or traps it and bustles past burning you for pace giving him a 1 on 1 against Migs.
    Even saying that Vardy only succeeds 1 in 10 times at the kind of play he has done all season for his 18 goals you need Migs to win the 1 on 1 8 times out of 10 for break even .
    your very wrong here the % play is absolutely force him wide or to hit it.

Where is this 1 in 50 figure coming from? How many times have we seen goals scored like that over different seasons in different leagues.

Back peddling goal keeper, ball bounces perfectly for the volley and goal. Garcia vs Juventus for example.

Look at the play again and watch Lovren. He doesn't even know where Mignolet is.

Lovren doesn't pull up his run out of some tactical decision. Lovren pulls up his run because he gives up and lets Vardy have a free shot.

Look at Sahko as the ball is coming in. He's shouting at Lovren to run in to the box because Sahko is trying to play the percentages of which you speak and he's expecting Vardy to take it down and run at goal.

Lovren just stops running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

For sure performances under Klopp have been worse than what everybody expected ,and if we are fair worse than what is acceptable even with this squad , he surviving on his reputation and charisma more than a little at the moment. but these things offer the promise of better days when he has time to build his squad and train the team.

He is adapting to a new league , with a poor squad ravished with injuries. Remember Rafas first year was complete pants with the exception of a certain cup run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

For sure performances under Klopp have been worse than what everybody expected ,and if we are fair worse than what is acceptable even with this squad , he surviving on his reputation and charisma more than a little at the moment. but these things offer the promise of better days when he has time to build his squad and train the team.

He is adapting to a new league , with a poor squad ravished with injuries. Remember Rafas first year was complete pants with the exception of a certain cup run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just remembered Im going to anfield on saturday for the first time in 20 years:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Look at that pic.

Just look at it.

Sakho with a full quarter of the pitch to defend and ALL our attacking players in a line within 20 yards of each other.

I'm off to bed before I get banned for foul and abusive language, just fire whatever words come to mind at that total fustercluck of a structure.

Time for some more tea, 3 teabags now!!!

The way this season is panning out you'll be on the coffee by March!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just remembered Im going to anfield on saturday for the first time in 20 years:(

My first game was 27 years ago last Tuesday night was my 99th match it will be a long time before my 100th.
    Looking forward to Dundalk matches to start back so I can see some decent football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nathaniel Clyne Yes Deserves to stay
    José Enrique No Out of contract, gone
    Kolo Touré No Out of contract, gone
    Dejan Lovren Yes Depends if we can get a good central defender in
    James Milner (vice-captain) No - I think the summer CM buy will see him gone, too much persperation
    Christian Benteke No I'd launch him into space if I could right now.
    Philippe Coutinho Yes Hopefully we can keep him.
    Roberto Firmino Yes top player without any help right now
    Joe Gomez Yes Obviously staying one of the brightest young CBs around.
    Jordan Henderson (captain) Yes But needs to be relieved of captaincy and ready for rotation
    Daniel Sturridge Yes I can't see us being able to get a decent bid for him hopefully he plays a few games
    Mamadou Sakho Yes Very inconsistent but I'd say we'll keep him.
    Alberto Moreno No suspect every game is merely another nail in his coffin
    Steven Caulker (on loan from QPR) No Loan won't be made permanent
    Adam Lallana Yes Klopp seems to like him and he's sure be better with a striker
    Lucas Leiva Yes Suspect, he may have one more season as a rotation player
    Simon Mignolet No Hopefully either sold or a No 2
    Emre Can Yes Still time for him to be a very good player, needs to improve though.
    Joe Allen No I think he'll move on this summer.
    Tiago Ilori No Won't make it.
    Divock Origi Yes Potentially a fine striker
    Danny Ings Yes Solid hard working forward
    Cameron Brannagan Yes First team squad beckons for me if he keeps improving
    Jordon Ibe Yes Inconsistent, but we'll keep him I reckon.
    Ádám Bogdán No Gone.
    Kevin Stewart No I think he'll move on.
    Martin Škrtel No He'll be gone at 31 for Matip or whoever comes in.
    Jon Flanagan Yes Out of contract, but I reckon he'll get another one.
    Ryan Kent Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though. Promising though.
    Jack Dunn No Fine player when fit, never fit for long
    Ryan McLaughlin No Currently forth in line for RB
    Brad Smith Yes Hopefully he can continue to improve. I'd like to see him get more games this season.
    Jordan Rossiter No Out of contract this summer, I think Grujic with Lucas staying will see him move on
    Jerome Sinclair No Out of contract, wants out.
    Danny Ward Yes A loan at worst for him
    João Carlos Teixeira No Out of contract. I like him, but think he'll leave for game time :(
    Sheyi Ojo Yes Promising youngster.
    Connor Randall Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though.
    Joe Maguire Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though.
    Daniel Cleary Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though.
    Pedro Chirivella Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though.
    Conor Masterson Yes Not sure of his contract situation. Not first team starter though.

The younger/less experienced U21s are hard to call Masterson for example has the makings of a fine CB but probably a year even two too early for him to get a chance in the senior squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My first game was 27 years ago last Tuesday night was my 99th match it will be a long time before my 100th.
    Looking forward to Dundalk matches to start back so I can see some decent football
    Im bringing my 5 yr old son to seal the deal with him being a liverpool fan. He will probably tell me he wants to support sunderland after saturday:eek:. The last game I was at was against derby county paul mcgrath was playing for them. Dundalk are great to watch without a lot of the hype and money that goes with the PL.

Im bringing my 5 yr old son to seal the deal with him being a liverpool fan. He will probably tell me he wants to support sunderland after saturday:eek:. The last game I was at was against derby county paul mcgrath was playing for them. Dundalk are great to watch without a lot of the hype and money that goes with the PL.

Great occasion bringing your lad hopefully you get a goal or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Some of these 'what I'd do with our squad' lists are a bit long, although interesting to read. I'll just say who I'd scrap tomorrow morning if I could, because they're either unsuited to us or just ****e:

Mig, Bogdan, Moreno, Lovren, Enrique, Milner, Lallana, Benteke.

Mr.Glass is a world-beater on his day, but if he can't last the end of the season without another f*cking injury, bin him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The way this season is panning out you'll be on the coffee by March!

I'll probably be mainlineing Red Bull by seasons end.

It's hard to love a team that doesn't love you back:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Is there anything to be said for playing a wide 4-1-2-1-2? I hate how narrow our formation is at the moment.
    Mignolet
    Clyne-Lovren-Sakho-Smith
    Allen
    Ibe-Moreno
    Coutinho
    Firmino-Benteke

Our midfield is far too negative at the moment and we NEED wide players.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Beaten by a worldy from the team top of the table with 3 / 4 of our strikers injured. Not really worth losing sleep over. There's obvious deficiencies in the team but for the first time in a long while (since Rafa I would say) we will have a manager I trust to address them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Beaten by a worldly from the team top of the table with 3 / 4 of our strikers injured. Not really worth losing sleep over. There's obvious deficiencies in the team but for the first time in a long while (since Rafa I would say) we will have a manager I trust to address them

You're not worried that we have been comprehensively overtaken by Leicester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Keepers: New 1st choice, Mignolet, Ward

Full backs: Clyne, Flanagan, New first choice LB, Moreno
    Centre Halves: New 1st choice CB, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez

Midfielders: Henderson, Grujic, Can, New first choice DM, Milner

Attacking Midfielders: Firmino, Coutinho, Markovic, Ibe, 1st choice goal scoring wideman

Strikers: Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Benteke, First choice forward

So therefore we need first choice keeper, left back, Centre half, defensive minded midfielder, goal scoring midfielder and viable replacement for Sturridge.

Timo Horn, Ricardo Rodriguez, Joel Matip, Granit Xaka, Leroy Sane, Alex Teixeira would do nicely ;)

The likes of Brad Smith, Conor Randall, Jordan Williams, Jordan Rossiter, Pedro Chiravella, Joao Teixeira, Allan, Sheyi Ojo, Cameron Brannagan and Ryan Kent should have their futures secured and form part of our first team squad for the long term. No more signing of squad players.

Any further future additions will be to go straight into our first XI and must be significantly better than what we already have. We cannot keep turning over 9-10 players ever summer. One expensive yet swift rebuilding job needs to be carried out.

Out should go: Bogdan, Vigouroux, Wisdom, Enrique, Skrtel, Toure, Caulker, Ilori, Lloyd Jones, Ryan McLaughlin, Joe Maguire, Lucas, Lallana, Allen, Jack Dunn, Kevin Stewart, Luis Alberto, Samid Yesil, Balotelli, Jerome Sinclair.

Love to see a squad of this calibre:

Keepers: Horn, Mignolet, Ward

Defenders: Clyne, Flanagan, Rodriguez, Moreno, Matip, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez

Midfielders: Henderson, Xaka, Can, Grujic, Milner

Attacking Midfielders: Firmino, Sane, Countinho, Markovic, Ibe

Strikers: Teixeira, Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, Ings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Goals win games, doesn't matter if we play different formations, different personnel or whatever right now. We are just poor in the final third with the majority of our attacks ending at midfielders feet and they just do not have the skill or composure to generate a goal.

We therefore end up playing small passes in the box, trying to create something (Like Cans effort for anyone who seen the full match - wasn't shown on MOTD cos they skewed the highlights).

We are just lacking a striker that is worth his salt. Lukaku/Kane/Vardy etc, win games cos they can produce a moment out of nothing. Our ONLY players of such note are both injured - Sturridge and Coutinho.

Strikers like that cover up the defencive deficiencies, the poor performances, the individual players not performing - just look at City tonight, they were ran ragged by Sunderland but Aguero scores a goal from nothing and bam, who really cares how poor they were - and they were!

For tonights game were were never really under the cosh after their first 12mins of brilliant pressure. After that the game went exactly as you might think, they played on the counter, every long ball, hoof and long throw becomes a greater attack than normal cos of whats at stake for them. It does remind me of our season where we finished second, even when playing poor we just knew there was a goal coming ... we had alot of control, all the ball, all the play (you might have thought this was like against United) but whats the point when you are more likely to sign Messi than actually score a goal.

Klopp - he needs to really man up here. Think outside the box cos his style of play with no cutting edge, no lethal finisher and not enough quality in the final third - is getting found out badly here. Time to earn the money. League is a total writeoff now, time to go for the cups are priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Grujic is meant to have goals on him. Tex is meant have goals in him. I have faith in klopp that he will get it right and buy starters that have goals in then. It is a must the like of lallana and benteke are out of the club in the summer.
    Milner the following widow too. Mediocrity is the standard at Liverpool now. Moreno is gone in the summer too

You're not worried that we have been comprehensively overtaken by Leicester?

They are having a 1/30 year season ... we might never see another season like this from a non-top 4 regular performer again for quite a time. Worried about them, no, not really. Worried about us - more so.

PL season is a write off. Completely. The difference with us and Leicester is they have the bit between their teeth and are playing for something. Every throw in and every corner is like life and death for them. They've earned it and thats football. We played our part in the game tonight but lack the sweat and determination to really want it as badly as they did.

Its virtually impossible to gain that sort of momentum at this stage of the season when sitting in midtable in a team with no goalscorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I've only ever been to Anfield once, and it was last season for the Madrid game where we got thumped 3-0, and I paid 250 puonds for my ticket!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If this season petered out like last season it would be incredible. We gave up last season when 4th was there to fight for, and again I see the same.
    If any team in top seven go on a run then top 4 is still on. We're but 4 games into second half of season! We play like it's the last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

price690 wrote: »
    Keepers: New 1st choice, Mignolet, Ward

Full backs: Clyne, Flanagan, New first choice LB, Moreno
    Centre Halves: New 1st choice CB, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez

Midfielders: Henderson, Grujic, Can, New first choice DM, Milner

Attacking Midfielders: Firmino, Coutinho, Markovic, Ibe, 1st choice goal scoring wideman

Strikers: Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Benteke, First choice forward

So therefore we need first choice keeper, left back, Centre half, defensive minded midfielder, goal scoring midfielder and viable replacement for Sturridge.

Timo Horn, Ricardo Rodriguez, Joel Matip, Granit Xaka, Leroy Sane, Alex Teixeira would do nicely ;)

The likes of Brad Smith, Conor Randall, Jordan Williams, Jordan Rossiter, Pedro Chiravella, Joao Teixeira, Allan, Sheyi Ojo, Cameron Brannagan and Ryan Kent should have their futures secured and form part of our first team squad for the long term. No more signing of squad players.

Any further future additions will be to go straight into our first XI and must be significantly better than what we already have. We cannot keep turning over 9-10 players ever summer. One expensive yet swift rebuilding job needs to be carried out.

Out should go: Bogdan, Vigouroux, Wisdom, Enrique, Skrtel, Toure, Caulker, Ilori, Lloyd Jones, Ryan McLaughlin, Joe Maguire, Lucas, Lallana, Allen, Jack Dunn, Kevin Stewart, Luis Alberto, Samid Yesil, Balotelli, Jerome Sinclair.

Love to see a squad of this calibre:

Keepers: Horn, Mignolet, Ward

Defenders: Clyne, Flanagan, Rodriguez, Moreno, Matip, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez

Midfielders: Henderson, Xaka, Can, Grujic, Milner

Attacking Midfielders: Firmino, Sane, Countinho, Markovic, Ibe

Strikers: Teixeira, Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, Ings

Liverpool has as much chance as getting Sane as Aston Villa do tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'd be happy enough to keep Lallana & Allen for next season, they are fine for squad players + they seem like the types that would be content playing that role.

No point in predicting who I'd like to see brought in, I've a feeling we'll see some signings like Grucjic, young and unknown but fit the system Klopp wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dogbert27 wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/jc52

At 59:04 Vardy pulls up his run to take on the obvious volley from the bouncing ball with a back peddling goal keeper.

As Vardy is pulling up his run to take on the shot Lovren also pulls up his run.

The point being made is it is obvious what Vardy intends on doing so the temptation of hitting a volley against a back peddling goal keeper is actually a higher percentage.

If Lovren read that and kept his run going he would have A) put Vardy off with his shot or B) made Vardy do something else and let more players get back to help out.

Alternatively, Lovren sees Vardy slow up and reckons he's going to touch it in behind Lovren's run and have a clear run through on goal. Vardy's done that already this season, from the other side against Newcastle for instance and certainly has the pace to get past Lovren if he catches him off balance after charging to block. So the last thing Lovren can do is allow that space behind him to cut inside, so he makes sure to show him outside and block any cut behind. It was just a ****ing wonder goal.

<Edit> Oops, I see Bandana Boy already made that very point!

If this season petered out like last season it would be incredible. We gave up last season when 4th was there to fight for, and again I see the same.
    If any team in top seven go on a run then top 4 is still on. We're but 4 games into second half of season! We play like it's the last week!

We haven't had a purple patch all season ... we ship goals in every game. We were within touching distance of the top 4 twice in 2 seasons and after losing to United both times we've dissapeared off the face of the earth.

Sad stuff.

• Advertisement

I'd be happy enough to keep Lallana & Allen for next season, they are fine for squad players + they seem like the types that would be content playing that role.

No point in predicting who I'd like to see brought in, I've a feeling we'll see some signings like Grucjic, young and unknown but fit the system Klopp wants.

There needs to be a shift away from signing players who are simply squad players. Policy needs to be signing players who are undoubted quality and significantly better than what we have already. Too many summers have been spent selling important players for big money and reinvesting in 7-8 "maybe players".

Maybe they will hit the ground running and the owners can flog them in a couple of years for a huge profit (and the process begins all over again) or maybe they will flop and we will have a 20 million pound asset depreciating over the next 3-4 seasons.

Liverpools strategy needs to change, let the youth system provide the bones around the main squad, and use the funds to bring in first XI players and those only.

This summer there will be no hiding place for FSG, we will see their real intentions. There is no Sterling or Suarez to sell. No big proceeds of sale to reinvest (and giving the false impression we are spending huge money, when in reality its the club servicing itself), they will have to fund some big signings themselves and show real ambition.

Theres a real whiff off FSG that they would be only too delighted to follow the Arsenal model, player recruitment on the cheap, young players with big resale value whilst not sacrificing champions league revenue. Without any real ambition of spending to chase the league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

astonaidan wrote: »
    Liverpool has as much chance as getting Sane as Aston Villa do tbh

Indeed - if we got him, it would be In Sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

price690 wrote: »
    There needs to be a shift away from signing players who are simply squad players. Policy needs to be signing players who are undoubted quality and significantly better than what we have already. Too many summers have been spent selling important players for big money and reinvesting in 7-8 "maybe players".

Maybe they will hit the ground running and the owners can flog them in a couple of years for a huge profit (and the process begins all over again) or maybe they will flop and we will have a 20 million pound asset depreciating over the next 3-4 seasons.

Liverpools strategy needs to change, let the youth system provide the bones around the main squad, and use the funds to bring in first XI players and those only.

This summer there will be no hiding place for FSG, we will see their real intentions. There is no Sterling or Suarez to sell. No big proceeds of sale to reinvest (and giving the false impression we are spending huge money, when in reality its the club servicing itself), they will have to fund some big signings themselves and show real ambition.

Theres a real whiff off FSG that they would be only too delighted to follow the Arsenal model, player recruitment on the cheap, young players with big resale value whilst not sacrificing champions league revenue. Without any real ambition of spending to chase the league title.

Im not saying I want us to go out and buy 'maybe' players it's just what I think will happen. I agree that we have enough squad players and now need to buy a starting GK, CB, LB, DM, WG & CF. But we can't attract the real top players anymore, even players below that bracket will be hard to attract, people mentioning the like of Cavani, Benzema and even Sane are in dream land.

A poster mentioned a few pages back we supposedly have a €200 million budget but I find that hard to believe.

Im not saying I want us to go out and buy 'maybe' players it's just what I think will happen. I agree that we have enough squad players and now need to buy a starting GK, CB, LB, DM, WG & CF. But we can't attract the real top players anymore, even players below that bracket will be hard to attract, people mentioning the like of Cavani, Benzema and even Sane are in dream land.

A poster mentioned a few pages back we supposedly have a €200 million budget but I find that hard to believe.

its no good having 200million if we are only allowed spend it in dealz.

we will just end up with lots of junk, as you say, we will never realistically be in the market for the very top players. Or even the top young prospects.

This is the problem Liverpool fans still think we're better than we are
    The sooner they get it their heads the better we are not even a top 6 side in the premier league anymore
    We need to start playing to our abilities stop going toe to toe with teams who are better than us
    We would have been better of tonight conceding possession to Leicester and hope to hit them on the break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is the problem Liverpool fans still think we're better than we are
    The sooner they get it their heads the better we are not even a top 6 side in the premier league anymore
    We need to start playing to our abilities stop going toe to toe with teams who are better than us
    We would have been better of tonight conceding possession to Leicester and hope to hit them on the break

I don't believe that.
    We compete with teams that are '' having great seasons'' yet we have endless injuries and no striker scoring goals.
    We should be applauded for competing under these circumstances.
    With a fit Sturridge we'd be 2 up by the time Leicester hit us on break with a wonder goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is certainly true anyway. That's the main reason Leicester are where they are - none's treating them like ManU or Arsenal, they - like us - go at them and look for a result. We're all just playing into their hands leaving plenty of space to exploit with the pace and tenacity they have up front.

Equally, when we're playing against a team sitting back we're bloody rubbish. Would certainly have been better off trying to draw them out and play them at their own game using Firmino and maybe Ibe on the break. Allen in the middle to switch play quickly without hanging onto the ball too long like Hendo and Can tend to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

homolumo wrote: »
    What worries me is that Klopp has failed to get the team to play to a higher standard. I expected him to get the team to do the basics right and in light of how the league has developed we should be in contention for top 4. Our form is no better than when BR was in charge and the reality is that Klopp has failed to shape this team into anything better. The only positive of his tenure thus far has been his honesty.

In all honesty, you can't polish a turd and call it a diamond... the reality is, we have a poor squad. Injuries can be apportioned some of the blame to the form we've shown at times, as we've been decimated for periods this season, but we have what we have. And what we have clearly isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Glico Man wrote: »
    In all honesty, you can't polish a turd and call it a diamond... the reality is, we have a poor squad. Injuries can be apportioned some of the blame to the form we've shown at times, as we've been decimated for periods this season, but we have what we have. And what we have clearly isn't good enough.

I found Klopps comments interesting, he basically said that no matter what your contract is you have a year to impress me, or you'll go somewhere else.

I have a feeling there's lots of our current squad looking over their shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When is the last time we have had such an embarrassing league season?

Fcuking 11 points of a top four that contains lecister and spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »
    When is the last time we have had such an embarrassing league season?

Fcuking 11 points of a top four that contains lecister and spurs.

Spurs are an excellent team this year, fully deserve top 4 on form-to-date

8-10 wrote: »
    Spurs are an excellent team this year, fully deserve top 4 on form-to-date

Agreed, I would say that its on the back of Kane, but Delli Ali has been immense too. They really got their sh1t together this year, which is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We're so shít it's unbelievable!
    It's gotten to the stage where it's hard to care anymore, the squad is terrible, perennial losers who have no fight whatsoever in them.

I wouldn't care who they sold in the summer (Coutinho apart)

We're 4/9 to beat Sunderland on Saturday, seriously, would anybody take those odds???

kfallon wrote: »
    We're so shít it's unbelievable!
    It's gotten to the stage where it's hard to care anymore, the squad is terrible, perennial losers who have no fight whatsoever in them.

I wouldn't care who they sold in the summer (Coutinho apart)

We're 4/9 to beat Sunderland on Saturday, seriously, would anybody take those odds???

I don't think I could bare Fat Sam's post match comments if they beat us at Anfield. :(

article-3428862-30D615B900000578-782_964x379.jpg

Vardy has only one thing on his mind and Lovren has already stopped his run.

• Advertisement

article-3428862-30D615B900000578-782_964x379.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

We should be doing what Arsenal have done over the past few years, which is adding 1 definite 1st team player in each transfer window.

summer 12/13: Santi Cazorla, Olivier Giroud
    january 12/13: Nacho Monreal
    summer 13/14: Mesut Ozil
    january 13/14: Didn't add anyone - were in 1st for most of January.
    summer: 14/15: Alexis Sanchez
    january 14/15: Gabriel (ok debatable on this one - only in some situations is he preferred to Mertesacker)
    summer 15/16: Petr Cech
    january 15/16: Elneny (behind Coquelin for now - but good idea to get DM backup)

For Liverpool, this timeline reads:

summer 12/13: Joe Allen
    january 12/13: Coutinho, Sturridge (RIP)
    summer 13/14: Mignolet, Sakho, Kolo (and the less said about Aspas, Alberto and Ilori the better)
    january 13/14: Didn't add anyone.
    summer: 14/15: Lallana, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Markovic, Balotelli, Origi
    january 14/15: Didn't add anyone
    summer 15/16: Milner, Ings, Gomez, Bogdan, Firmino, Clyne, Benteke
    january 15/16: Grujic

Two summers in a row we've tried to add 4-6 new 1st team players in the one go. It doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dogbert27 wrote: »

There's no way he would have expected a shot from there and I think he expected him to cut in.

I don't rate Lovren, but this criticism is harsh. It was just a great goal, it doesn't always have to down to a defender's error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Umaro wrote: »
    We should be doing what Arsenal have done over the past few years, which is adding 1 definite 1st team player in each transfer window.

summer 12/13: Santi Cazorla, Olivier Giroud
    january 12/13: Nacho Monreal
    summer 13/14: Mesut Ozil
    january 13/14: Didn't add anyone - were in 1st for most of January.
    summer: 14/15: Alexis Sanchez
    january 14/15: Gabriel (ok debatable on this one - only in some situations is he preferred to Mertesacker)
    summer 15/16: Petr Cech
    january 15/16: Elneny (behind Coquelin for now - but good idea to get DM backup)

For Liverpool, this timeline reads:

summer 12/13: Joe Allen
    january 12/13: Coutinho, Sturridge (RIP)
    summer 13/14: Mignolet, Sakho, Kolo (and the less said about Aspas, Alberto and Ilori the better)
    january 13/14: Didn't add anyone.
    summer: 14/15: Lallana, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Markovic, Balotelli, Origi
    january 14/15: Didn't add anyone
    summer 15/16: Milner, Ings, Gomez, Bogdan, Firmino, Clyne, Benteke
    january 15/16: Grujic

Two summers in a row we've tried to add 4-6 new 1st team players in the one go. It doesn't work.

I would argue what Arsenal do doesn't work either as they are slipping in the league and not won it since 2004.

I don't know if it was mentioned already, but that was Vardy's first goal from outside the box this season. From watching footage of his other goals, you'd expect him to cut it back and speed past the defender - thats what Lovren is trying to guard against. Taking a shot from there on the volley is a real low % goalscoring chance - but of course, because its us it'll go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would argue what Arsenal do doesn't work either as they are slipping in the league and not won it since 2004.

They have CL football every season and won the last 2 FA Cups.....I wouldn't us replicating the same tbh cos we are muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers changed/rebuilt the squad every summer with mostly inferior players compared to the ones who left even despite spending more money than most PL clubs in that period of time when he was manager are people really that surprised that this squad is so unbalanced and struggling to find cohesion.

Anyone who wasn't wearing blinkers could see this and also new it would take another major overhaul to balance the squad out and bring in players at least now we have a prove management team at the top of the club who know how to win and build from the ground up.

This season in the league was always going to be a write off the moment Rodgers got sacked and the cups were the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Coutinho is the only player I would keep if it was my team/option .. he is the only quality player we have,the rest can leave ,maybe a few kept for the bench like Hendo ,skrtel,can,

I'd replace the rest tbh because there just not top team players nor will they become them.

Could take 3/5 years, could you imagine us in champs league with that team ,would be embarrassing.

Keep Firminho too,for another season anyway.

murpho999 wrote: »

I know, they've made my argument look poor given their rubbish results over the last 3 games.

Still though, they have been in the CL for the past 16 seasons - all whilst servicing an enormous debt for a new stadium. Only when Wenger finishes up will people realise what a remarkable achievement it was to keep them competitive during those years.

I'm still going to tip them to be in the mix for the title at the end of the season despite their poor form. Leicester are away to Man City and Arsenal in their next 2 games, so I think Arsenal will be 1 or 2pts off the top after those games.

• Advertisement

Rodgers changed/rebuilt the squad every summer with mostly inferior players compared to the ones who left even despite spending more money than most PL clubs in that period of time when he was manager are people really that surprised that this squad is so unbalanced and struggling to find cohesion.

Anyone who wasn't wearing blinkers could see this and also new it would take another major overhaul to balance the squad out and bring in players at least now we have a prove management team at the top of the club who know how to win and build from the ground up.

This season in the league was always going to be a write off the moment Rodgers got sacked and the cups were the way to go.

Totally agreed, from the moment Thierry Henry grabbed Carraghers leg on Super Sunday i knew this season was going to be a writeoff.

The squad was in a shambles, Rodgers brought in young players hoping to emulate the older versions and it wasn't working.

What he's left us with is a broken, unbalanced squad that not even the greatest miracle worker could challenge the league with.

We need a good clean out in the summer, get players in quick and get a good pre-season.

Next year is our year ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement