Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Think you will find it was a house viewing.....Klopp is now living in the house and paying Rodgers for the pleasure ;);)

So is 'The Rodgers' now sub letting Gerrard's house to Klopp, or is Brendan letting his own house to Klopp while still living in Gerrard's himself?

Football personalities' living arrangements is the new transfer gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mada999 wrote: »
    sorry but Sakho gets all the excuses.. he cant even get up to head a ball and is a weakling... same as Lovern... i'd take Skrtel over them any day of the week

it seems the more Sakho doesnt play, the better he gets

Look, he's had a number of better than decent runs of games since joining the club, during which he was by a distance the club's best defender (which is not to say that he's the second coming of Hansen). People are making complete mammary glands of themselves coming on here claiming otherwise, notwithstanding he's been crap the last couple of weeks.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Has had pretty heaving strapping on his hamstring during some of the games.

This, he's been hobbling at times. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

MD1990 wrote: »
    Has had pretty heaving strapping on his hamstring during some of the games.

lnDSYw9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

corwill wrote: »
    Look, he's had a number of better than decent runs of games since joining the club, during which he was by a distance the club's best defender (which is not to say that he's the second coming of Hansen). People are making complete mammary glands of themselves coming on here claiming otherwise, notwithstanding he's been crap the last couple of weeks.

Sure, if you say so.

Skrtel, as limited as he is, is the best defender we have. He might not be as good a ball player as Sahko but he is more reliable at set pieces and in the air-
    Sahko is quicker, stronger and better at the last ditch stuff but his style of play (without the ball) spreads panic throughout the team. If you see your so called best CB letting ball bounce over his head or getting minced against Norwich, you call it out.

Play the man, no need to calling people this, that or the other for voicing their opinion. There is great potential there with Sahko but mentally more than physically he is not all there right now, he is making mistakes that previously he wasn't making. It's not good enough to point that blame back at the keeper (who made some great saves last night btw), if you are the big money centre half, you take the hit. You are responsible for talking to the team, organising, settling, motivating. That ain't happening.

Lovren is the opposite, he's over confident. Stepovers vs W Ham says it all about him! Thinks he is Beckenbauer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

mada999 wrote: »
    sorry but Sakho gets all the excuses.. he cant even get up to head a ball and is a weakling... same as Lovern... i'd take Skrtel over them any day of the week

it seems the more Sakho doesnt play, the better he gets

Aye - as someone stated previously, all our CB's are as bad as each other. Sahko wins headers but thinks he's messi on the ball, takes stupid risks and loves to let the ball bounce. Skrtel gives away silly free kicks, constantly puling jerseys , standing off etc. Lovern was a disaster but the confidence is coming back...slowly

Same old problem, none of the above can lead but all of the above would benefit from a leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Picking which one of the 3 (Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren) is our best CB is akin to being asked to pick which dogshíte you'd like to step on in the street!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kfallon wrote: »
    Picking which one of the 3 (Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren) is our best CB is akin to being asked to pick which dogshíte you'd like to step on in the street!

I agreed, we really need to be looking at 2 starting CB's. Maybe Gomez can be one next season.

Sure, if you say so.

Skrtel, as limited as he is, is the best defender we have. He might not be as good a ball player as Sahko but he is more reliable at set pieces and in the air-
    Sahko is quicker, stronger and better at the last ditch stuff but his style of play (without the ball) spreads panic throughout the team. If you see your so called best CB letting ball bounce over his head or getting minced against Norwich, you call it out.

Play the man, no need to calling people this, that or the other for voicing their opinion. There is great potential there with Sahko but mentally more than physically he is not all there right now, he is making mistakes that previously he wasn't making. It's not good enough to point that blame back at the keeper (who made some great saves last night btw), if you are the big money centre half, you take the hit. You are responsible for talking to the team, organising, settling, motivating. That ain't happening.

Lovren is the opposite, he's over confident. Stepovers vs W Ham says it all about him! Thinks he is Beckenbauer.

The Sakho/Lovren combo was working a treat before the former got injured, IMHO. That some can't acknowledge that Klopp is playing him with an unrecovered injury is pretty ridiculous, myopic behaviour, and I'm perfectly comfortable ridiculing it. Like I said above, I'd like to see him dropped to recover, to spare us and him displays like last night's.

There must be two Skrtels, I don't recognise the one you describe. The one togging out for us has been hopeless all of this year, and longer, heart being in the right place notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

kfallon wrote: »
    The dry white dog****e. Doesn't really leave much mess on the sole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

This, he's been hobbling at times. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Sakho has been poor recently. He's clearly injured tho but playing through it. He also is covering a monsterous amount of space on his own. Given moreno is required to constantly provide all our width as we have no wingers there's going to be massive gaps.

At the end of the day this season was a write off from when we hired Klopp. He's 100% right to keep trying to win his way as opposed to changing to suit the players. The ones that don't suit it won't be here and those that do will benefit long term from it. Klopp is not a short term appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Our defence isn't consistent but have improved this season imo. But with a new GK I think we can have a good defence with probably a better defensive LB than Moreno. We need more changes in forward area's that in the defensive one's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Both Sakho and Lovren are playing too soon, it's not helping them or the team. Yesterday Caulker should have started as should Allen. Hendo is still injured, its clear enough to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

monkey9 wrote: »
    Who the hell is that curling one?

Anna Sloan

But for this summer Olympics field hockey is where you should all be watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Rodgers changed/rebuilt the squad every summer with mostly inferior players compared to the ones who left even despite spending more money than most PL clubs in that period of time when he was manager are people really that surprised that this squad is so unbalanced and struggling to find cohesion.

Anyone who wasn't wearing blinkers could see this and also new it would take another major overhaul to balance the squad out and bring in players at least now we have a prove management team at the top of the club who know how to win and build from the ground up.

This season in the league was always going to be a write off the moment Rodgers got sacked and the cups were the way to go.

This is classic results based thinking. When Rodgers was sacked we still had a decent chance of making top 4, heck even up till a few weeks ago we were still in with a shout. with the way the league is this season with every team regularly dropping points. To throw in the towel in the league way back when Klopp was first appointed would have been insane and he would have been pilloried for taking that attitude as soon as he walked through the doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

price690 wrote: »
    There needs to be a shift away from signing players who are simply squad players. Policy needs to be signing players who are undoubted quality and significantly better than what we have already. Too many summers have been spent selling important players for big money and reinvesting in 7-8 "maybe players".

Maybe they will hit the ground running and the owners can flog them in a couple of years for a huge profit (and the process begins all over again) or maybe they will flop and we will have a 20 million pound asset depreciating over the next 3-4 seasons.

Liverpools strategy needs to change, let the youth system provide the bones around the main squad, and use the funds to bring in first XI players and those only.

This summer there will be no hiding place for FSG, we will see their real intentions. There is no Sterling or Suarez to sell. No big proceeds of sale to reinvest (and giving the false impression we are spending huge money, when in reality its the club servicing itself), they will have to fund some big signings themselves and show real ambition.

Theres a real whiff off FSG that they would be only too delighted to follow the Arsenal model, player recruitment on the cheap, young players with big resale value whilst not sacrificing champions league revenue. Without any real ambition of spending to chase the league title.

Or you could say the Dortmund model, where a similar outlook is employed?

I think Mike's loan watch / youth updates are going to become vital reading for us in the years ahead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

But for this summer Olympics field hockey is where you should all be watching

Lets see the 'highlights' we can look forward to.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I can't wait until they release the DVD of the 2015/2016 season. 3 hours of us away to Chelsea and Man City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Am I the only one worried about Klopp getting absolutely nothing out of the players we do have at our disposal.

Despite what some people may say, out squad is not as bad as our position in the table at the moment suggests.

Am I the only one worried about Klopp getting absolutely nothing out of the players we do have at our disposal.

Despite what some people may say, out squad is not as bad as our position in the table at the moment suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

The Sakho/Lovren combo was working a treat before the former got injured, IMHO. That some can't acknowledge that Klopp is playing him with an unrecovered injury is pretty ridiculous, myopic behaviour, and I'm perfectly comfortable ridiculing it. Like I said above, I'd like to see him dropped to recover, to spare us and him displays like last night's.

There must be two Skrtels, I don't recognise the one you describe. The one togging out for us has been hopeless all of this year, and longer, heart being in the right place notwithstanding.

Maybe Sakho is fully fit and he's just a bad player?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Both Sakho and Lovren are playing too soon, it's not helping them or the team. Yesterday Caulker should have started as should Allen. Hendo is still injured, its clear enough to see.

Suprised he didnt come on up top when we were one down.

Just on Sakho not being fully fit... he wasn't wearing any strapping last night. He was against stoke. He wasn't against Norwich. etc etc So which is it? As I said...he's played 9 games in a row. You dont do that on a dodgy hamstring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A fully fit squad yes but a squad with 3 strikers out of 4 injured and the only fit striker not fancied by the manager. You can see why we are struggling badly for goals.

Think we should be getting more out of Benteke though to be honest. A Firmino, Lallana, Milner front 3 is just not working.

Maybe it could look that way to Stevie Wonder, but I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not sure about that! Any World Class players? Is the squad structured well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Do Leicester/West Ham/Southampton etc have any world class players?
    We definitely have a squad capable of pressing for the top 4 (or at least better than 9th in the table!!) They're not bad players (most of them), they're just playing badly !!! We've had 2/3 good results under Klopp and the rest has been relatively poor. There has been no discernible upturn in performances or results since he took over... in fact, you could say things have got worse. The cup final could be a saving grace but even then.... aguero up against our boys at the back?? *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not the lack of quality that's the main problem, its the lack of variety and balance.
    Where is the pace?
    Where are the wingers?
    Where is the play maker?

All we have is midfielders and attacking midfielders.

Midfielders who cant dictate a game, attacking midfielders who cant score goals.

Origi and Coutinho coming back in will atleast give us some pace and trickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't like the formation but with the players in our squad we really need to play 3 at the back with wing backs. We have had some success with this when Rodgers was in charge. In the current system there are too many of the same type player in midfield and Clyne and moreno in particular are too high up the pitch when we lose the ball. Lucas is too slow to cover the gaps that appear when playing a back 4 and our two cbs are left so exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Also mig must have some confidence he loves roaring and screaming at the defence every time he makes a save or concedes a goal. I'd love if the whole team gave him dogs abuse the next time he makes a mistake.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Lloyd West Ham, Leicester & Southampton are above us, where are the World Class players there.

Watford, Palace and Stoke are a couple points off us. Everton fans are calling for Martinez head and yet he's only 5 points off us.

Look at the players who are really not performing : Benteke looks like a League of Ireland player with us, at Villa he looked unstoppable at times. Sakho has 27 French Caps. Henderson looks a shadow of his former self in previous seasons. Ibe is performing no where near what he did under Rodgers despite being older.

I see absolutely no proof that we are defending any better. We are certainly scoring less goals.

It is worrying.

What was the thinking bringing Klopp in only several games into the season. Did they believe he could finihs top 4 or was it a plan to build for next year. I believe they thought top 4 was achievable.

• Advertisement

Interseting comparison between Sturridge & Vardy.
    After another sobering defeat for Klopp, it is easy to conclude Liverpool’s squad is not good enough and they are languishing in mid-table because of poor players. Quality centre-forwards change everything

In the first week of January Vardy underwent groin surgery. Eight days later he was back leading Leicester’s charge.

“I think it’s just getting common knowledge now, I’m getting an ­injury every week. I never want to not play, it’s as simple as that,” Vardy said, before his operation.

“I want to play as many games as I can and help the team out in as good a way as I can.”

One wonders if Sturridge reads a sentence like that and feels any sense of responsibility, or even guilt about his inability to play football for Liverpool during such a depressing period where his absences have undermined two league seasons and cost one manager his job.

Liverpool have dispatched too many SOS's to Sturridge - a truly wonderful footballer and arguably the best natural finisher the club has had since Robbie Fowler. They need him to save the season again. Desperately. Doing so might be the only chance he has of saving his Anfield career because never again can a Liverpool manager rely on his goal return.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/12138423/Daniel-Sturridge-is-exhausting-Liverpools-patience-and-his-absence-is-killing-the-team.html

Interseting comparison between Sturridge & Vardy.
    After another sobering defeat for Klopp, it is easy to conclude Liverpool’s squad is not good enough and they are languishing in mid-table because of poor players. Quality centre-forwards change everything

In the first week of January Vardy underwent groin surgery. Eight days later he was back leading Leicester’s charge.

“I think it’s just getting common knowledge now, I’m getting an ­injury every week. I never want to not play, it’s as simple as that,” Vardy said, before his operation.

“I want to play as many games as I can and help the team out in as good a way as I can.”

One wonders if Sturridge reads a sentence like that and feels any sense of responsibility, or even guilt about his inability to play football for Liverpool during such a depressing period where his absences have undermined two league seasons and cost one manager his job.

Liverpool have dispatched too many SOS's to Sturridge - a truly wonderful footballer and arguably the best natural finisher the club has had since Robbie Fowler. They need him to save the season again. Desperately. Doing so might be the only chance he has of saving his Anfield career because never again can a Liverpool manager rely on his goal return.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/12138423/Daniel-Sturridge-is-exhausting-Liverpools-patience-and-his-absence-is-killing-the-team.html

It would be very interesting to hear what the real story is with Sturridge from someone in a position to tell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Also mig must have some confidence he loves roaring and screaming at the defence every time he makes a save or concedes a goal. I'd love if the whole team gave him dogs abuse the next time he makes a mistake.

It's a thing with sh!te goalkeepers, Guzan, Dave from our 5 a side, and De Gea do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whether he is fit or not does not explain how he can let a ball bounce twice without actually doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Tomorrow is due to be Danny Sturridge's first day of full training for two months latest injury setback

He did that today!

https://twitter.com/Liddellpool/status/694910435036913664

REJOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now you don't need to click the link above)

CaTRW5jWIAEjQMx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Scouts at all his games, are they thinking of signing him?:P

murpho999 wrote: »
    Scouts at all his games, are they thinking of signing him?:P

Galatasaray won't let him go for a bob under 70 mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

He did that today!

I stand by my statement that tomorrow is his injury setback :pac:

Have never read such horse manure in my life. Didnt we pay 20 odd millions pounds for him the cnut. Didnt we scout him before that. Didn't he spend a year at Liverpool after this.

And now we're monitoring him again. Money for fcukin jam for those scouts. Ya couldn't believe what they'd come back with given what we've signed in recent times .

Its good we can all laugh about it - Sturridge, Markovic, Lovren, Moreno....:(

Go home, entire club adminstration, you're drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

CaTRW5jWIAEjQMx.jpg

What exactly is Klopp doing to poor Kolo? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

problem is we dont play games on paper, we've had crazy injuries to multiple players... we havent had a full squad to pick from for most of the season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The lads were playing like kids yesterday. Wild, stupid football. No one taking responsibility.

Before you can ask the team to play high intensity, heavy metal football they need to dp the basics properly - passing, moving in to space, covering, keeping possesion.

The most striking difference between the style of play of both teams yesterday was how quickly they looked to break and get the ball to the CF. Leicester got it to Vardy ASA-****ing-P and tried to score without delay. Liverpool moved forward as a big unit and camped in the Leicester box before frantically trying to pick out a chance.

It's not having a CF or confidence in a CF which is really hampering this team. WTF is the story with Sturridge? I wonder can his contract be terminated for breach of terms/ duties.

Footnote - Allen had been brilliant recently, first name on the teamsheet for me and would like to give Smith a run at LB. Can't wait for Coutinho's return, yesterday was painfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

J Mysterio wrote: »

The most striking difference between the style of play of both teams yesterday was how quickly they looked to break and get the ball to the CF. Leicester got it to Vardy ASA-****ing-P and tried to score without delay. Liverpool moved forward as a big unit and camped in the Leicester box before frantically trying to pick out a chance.

It's not having a CF or confidence in a CF which is really hampering this team. WTF is the story with Sturridge? I wonder can his contract be terminated for breach of terms/ duties.
    Agree with this about pricking about in midfield with sideways passing.
    While the defense and attack get criticized practically every game, for me the midfield is the biggest problem. Take away injuries and put the strongest 11 on the pitch and the midfield is pretty damn poor. There is not one midfielder in the squad who is a threat to the opposition. All workhorses who will close players down all day but lack the composure and finesse around the opposition area. The fact that we don't have a dangerous set piece taker in the squad is shocking. Hopefully a midfielder is the first position that Klopp looks at in the summer, and not one that will reach his peak in ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You are not.

I don't want to labour it in case someone accuses me of wanting him gone or something mad like that.
    Definitely though. Thought we'd have at least been in with an outside shot of fourth by the end of the season. Not out of it completely by mid January despite Chelsea and utd also have bad seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement