Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ignorance is the biggest threat to humanity. Anfield today was a small scale example of what goes on in the world today. Those who stayed behind and ignore what the greater good wants are a threat to ours and our children's future. That's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People are being priced out of seeing their local club play football. Its becoming a big problem, and in fact could be argued that this type of protest is long overdue.

Its frightening reading some of the opinions on here over the ticket price protest. Comparing it to a pint of milk etc (which is absolute nonsense by the way) and actually agree that the club should be ran like a business to the detriment of the fans that have been here before they came in and will be here when they go.

Its this kind of attitude that has enabled this situation to happen in the first place, accept the increases over the years and sleepwalk into a situation where you cant afford to see your team play a game of football. Staggering absolutely ****ing staggering. Does the club stand for anything but profit anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Was at the game today pretty poor stuff. Mignolet is so bad he cant be the no 1 next year. Can was very dissapointing too he loses possession an awful lot . Doesn't look comfortable on the ball either. I know milner gets a bit of stick on this thread but he apart from firmino was the only decent attacking threat. Sturridge got the biggest cheer of the day when his name was read out in the line ups .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would. Great work rate thats about it. 140k wages could be spent alot better.

It could be spent a lot worse too, like on a mate to keep Sturridge company in the treatment room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

NukaCola wrote: »
    People are being priced out of seeing their local club play football. Its becoming a big problem, and in fact could be argued that this type of protest is long overdue.

Its frightening reading some of the opinions on here over the ticket price protest. Comparing it to a pint of milk etc (which is absolute nonsense by the way) and actually agree that the club should be ran like a business to the detriment of the fans that have been here before they came in and will be here when they go.

Its this kind of attitude that has enabled this situation to happen in the first place, accept the increases over the years and sleepwalk into a situation where you cant afford to see your team play a game of football. Staggering absolutely ****ing staggering. Does the club stand for anything but profit anymore?
    FSG are just looking to raise the ckub's value in a few years to then sell. Guranteed we won't sign any player on huge wages in the summer. Not saying that is critical to success as Leicester have proved it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wall was crap for their first
    If you can't do the basics then something is wrong
    It was a free strike on our goal
    No need to bypass wall

A lot of that is Mig's fault...the wall is where he wants it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wall was crap for their first
    If you can't do the basics then something is wrong
    It was a free strike on our goal
    No need to bypass wall

Who decides how many go in the wall and where they stand.............?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Football is so fúcking simple really.

Liverpool 13/14 and Leicester 15/16. In many ways, they're remarkably similar.

Pace and power up front, and relentless work rate. If you have that, you'll trouble most.

What we've done, is pack ourselves full of skilful, but tippy-tappy, flimsy players who've little pace, power or killer instinct.

It's sad to see.

The balance of our squad is an absolute shambles. Shameful.

The other factor being how important two genuine terrifying attacking threats are. Suarez and Sturridge for us, Mahrez and Vardy for them...very similar dynamics in many way, the direct pacy finisher and the dynamic, skillful one.

In Firmino I think we actually have one half of this, but with all the emphasis on him, there's noone else doing the other side. With someone running for him, i think he'd be on another level to what he currently is (which is already great).

Even looking at Watford, the same dynamic in a sense with Deeney and Ighalo. That mix of threats, deeper and on the shoulder, lifts you to another level.

With the right centre forward, Firmino playing off them, and Coutinho deeper in midfield we could be leaps and bounds from where we are very quickly - so long as we see that tenacity and effort everywhere else too. Oh, and a decent keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

NukaCola wrote: »
    I would disagree with everything in this post.......I will never understand this attitude......

Ah no give it a chance man, while we're at it we should opt out of the leagues and cups for a season too. All this losing and failure must be very demoralising for the lads, a season away from it would do wonders for their confidence. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dub13 wrote: »
    Ignorance is the biggest threat to humanity. Anfield today was a small scale example of what goes on in the world today. Those who stayed behind and ignore what the greater good wants are a threat to ours and our children's future. That's a fact.

This is what gets peoples back up, this Messianic complex that SoS suffer from - that they are going to save the world while everyone else is happy to watch it burn. Such a link is frankly an insult to the rest of the world.

Anyway that said, as was just stated on MOTD by Shearer there is no excuse for putting a single ticket up next season and if anything prices should be coming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If people had brought their kids over and the only get to one or two games a season then i dont mind them staying behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Anyone who dismisses fan's complaints at £77 priced tickets are either deluded or the same assholes in LFC management who hiked the rates. No football match, aside from a major final, is worth £77, let alone the trash we're seeing in Anfield this season.

Protests against ticket price hikes is not exclusively a Liverpool thing though, it's a bigger movement and every football fan should be behind it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is what gets peoples back up, this Messianic complex that SoS suffer from - that they are going to save the world while everyone else is happy to watch it burn. Such a link is frankly an insult to the rest of the world.

Nobody said anything about saving the world, but we will try to do a small bit about the game we love.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    If people had brought their kids over and the only get to one or two games a season then i dont mind them staying behind.

I agree.

The worst kind are the people who don't go the games giving out online telling us that we should just shut up and pay. The club push the line about how wonderful the kop is, great atmosphere etc etc. Then they screw us left right and centre.

Anyway that said, as was just stated on MOTD by Shearer there is no excuse for putting a single ticket up next season and if anything prices should be coming down.

Even in a financial sense, I'm not sure that raising the prices is wise. Soulless as this sounds, a huge part of the Liverpool 'brand' is Anfield and the atmosphere associated with it. The Anfield roar. Now, we all know that's been gone for a while, but the myth of it remains. But that won't last forever.

If the 'product' being sold on TV every weekend around the world came with that incredible atmosphere, it could only serve to attract more fans to the club. In the small picture sense, you lose some match day revenue, but in the grander scheme of things, if you're the club that actively keeps the local heart at its core, you become a better product. For anyone outside England, you become the choice of the romantic - the perfect mix of success, history, and spirit. This stuff can only help with attracting players too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rather than jacking up prices FSG should be cutting overheads like agents fees and paying over the odds for **** players.

Luis Alberto goalio tonight for Deportivo, that;s his fifth of the season and 4 assists. Now that is playing regularly he's deffo starting to hit some form.

https://streamable.com/71z7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I just watched the highlights of the goals there. That was probably the worst set up of a wall that I have seen in professional football. I don't know what Mignolet was even thinking of when he set that up. It was such a bad wall and didn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Watching MOTD and I think every keeper has made more saves in their highlight package than our clown has made all season.

I brought my young lad for the first time today and didn't leave. Very hard to try explain the situation to a 5 yr old. Fair play to the lads that left they are dead right imo. In different circumstances id have left too. I think we are at a key point in English football the money has just got crazy and if I'm being honest I'm losing interest in the whole thing. The wages and ticket prices are obscene and I really want the bubble to burst. Which it will eventually things have gone too far and people are getting too greedy. Football in england needs to get back to its roots and if Leicester can win the league it will be a help in the right direction.

Rather than jacking up prices FSG should be cutting overheads like agents fees and paying over the odds for **** players.

Luis Alberto goalio tonight for Deportivo, that;s his fifth of the season and 4 assists. Now that is playing regularly he's deffo starting to hit some form.

https://streamable.com/71z7

Will be interesting to see what Klopp does with him...he could be a good balance in the type of player we have. He's got the poise and skill of some of our current lads, but is also 6ft tall. He looks like he could do with a weights program to be honest but, like Markovic, with a bit of strength could actually be a useful player for us.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

vi_BMc_N2.jpg

What a wall
    Embarrassing .

I blame the fans. If they had stayed to defend their seats, the Mig would have saved that and we'd have seen out the win like we usually do. The fans protest cost us three points today. Disgusting.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Watching MOTD and I think every keeper has made more saves in their highlight package than our clown has made all season.

He drives me crazy. I don't think I've ever disliked a player as much as him. He is comfortably the worst keeper in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Therefore they are reducing prices in other parts of the stadium. They are giving school kids free tickets...somehow I dont think they are doing it for the craic. I am sure there is a business related reason behind it which we dont know about.

Answer me another:
    You own a chipper....you sell your chips for €1 a bag and someone tells you...here listen....the demand is high enough, you could sell the same chips for €1.30. Lets say you sold 1 million bags a year.....would you take the €300T if it meant your business could expand, your family life improved and your mortgage was paid off quicker???

I would sleep better knowing you're not actually a football fan, never mind a Liverpool supporter. :rolleyes:

He drives me crazy. I don't think I've ever disliked a player as much as him. He is comfortably the worst keeper in the league.

I'm really hoping his 5 year deal was of the Pegguy Arphexad variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The same as a lot of players who come here he suffers from being under the spotlight.

He's a grand enough keeper for 12-20 in the league, and it'd be a similar story around most other European leagues.

We're asking him to be more consistent, have a more rounded skillset and be mentally stronger than he's capable of being.

New contract or no, he needs to move before he has a complete mental breakdown. He looks like he's ****ting himself.
    I think this could be the worst he's been for us. He was alright in the first season but seems to have regressed more and more as the pressure on the team has grown.

That "Mr Nasty" quote from him comes across as a guy desperately trying to put on some sort of tough exterior, but from his previous behaviour he sounds quite sensitive to this kind of thing and poorly equipped to handle this level of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Therefore they are reducing prices in other parts of the stadium. They are giving school kids free tickets...somehow I dont think they are doing it for the craic. I am sure there is a business related reason behind it which we dont know about.

Answer me another:
    You own a chipper....you sell your chips for €1 a bag and someone tells you...here listen....the demand is high enough, you could sell the same chips for €1.30. Lets say you sold 1 million bags a year.....would you take the €300T if it meant your business could expand, your family life improved and your mortgage was paid off quicker???

Liverpool FC isn't a chipper, funnily enough. It's a different business.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    Liverpool FC isn't a chipper, funnily enough. It's a different business.

Chips are a lot dearer around Anfield than that on match days anyhow. Probably have a different set of prices for match days like the pubs have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

An embarrassing day all round really.

The axe cannot fall quickly and sharply enough on some of our players .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes but you can choose a different airline with cheaper seats, people cant choose a different club.

Course they can. Look at all the new Chelsea and City fans since the money came in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Even after our walk out today out we still had more fans in our stadium then man city did all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A lot of that is Mig's fault...the wall is where he wants it to be.

To me it looked like he set up the wall to defend from the right foot taker.

It's like he never considered Johnson was going to hit it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My confidence in Klopp remains absolute. He will have an opportunity to start unwinding the poor and badly structured squad Rodgers built this summer.

I'd like to see two/three really good additions to what we have in the summer.
    Klopp and all of us will be hoping Firmino continues to adapt to the PL, an improvement in GK, a central defender, a decent central midfielder (not a #10), a versatile winger and a striker along with what we have is all we can expect really. If 2 of that 5 are really good we are much improved, almost 20% first team improvement.

The squad is nowhere near as bad as folks on here make out, there's imbalance, injuries & underperformance.

I still wouldn't at all rule out a decent EL run to the last 4 or better.

Mignolet is really hampering us, he's getting worse by the week, I honestly think he has personal problems of some sort, gambling or something perhaps.

Klopp inherited a team short of goals through injury to sturridge & ings, Benteke hasn't clicked. That's solvable, so too is the goalkeeper issue.

The squad that Rodgers built speel is a falisy really, you take the job you take the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Was at the game today pretty poor stuff. Mignolet is so bad he cant be the no 1 next year. Can was very dissapointing too he loses possession an awful lot . Doesn't look comfortable on the ball either. I know milner gets a bit of stick on this thread but he apart from firmino was the only decent attacking threat. Sturridge got the biggest cheer of the day when his name was read out in the line ups .

You stayed till the end of the match?

Edit: Never mind that, caught your later post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not sure who's worse people criticising the fans for leaving early or the ones criticising the ones who stayed
    personally I have no real issue with prices for adult tickets but something needs to be done to afford more kids to the come to matches
    At the moment if you got in free to watch this Liverpool side you would still be getting ripped off
    I know a walk out looks good for the cameras but it's not harming the club
    Fans should stop buying anything at anfield no beer no pies or minerals that would hit the club more I feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

LIVERPOOL U21s v SLIGO ROVERS
    Wednesday February 10th.
    Kick-off 7pm.
    The Showgrounds, Sligo
    Tickets are on sale now at €10 for adults and €5 for kids.

http://www.sligorovers.com/news/16/feb/liverpool-bring-strong-squad

"They are headlined by Jerome Sinclair who holds the honour of being the youngest player to play in the history of the club when making his debut aged 16 years and six days in 2012. He recently scored for the first team to help them through in the FA Cup against Exeter City.
    The group also contains Spaniard Pedro Chirivella, Ryan Kent and Joe Maguire who have all appeared for the first team. Harry Wilson will also travel who is the youngest ever full Welsh international as well as Jack Dunn.
    Ryan McLaughlin, who has four caps for Northern Ireland and recently returned from a loan spell with Aberdeen, is set to play.
    The squad contains four Irish underage international players in keeper Caoimhin Kelleher, defender Daniel Cleary and midfielder Alex O’Hanlon."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I really cannot understand this price hike. the bundesliga reduced the tickets to an affordable level about 10 years ago, including train ticket fares with the ticket and never looked back. The atmosphere at a mid to low table game would beat the atmosphere at any pl game.

Fair play to the fans, I hope they keep this up. The league is a washout this year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm shocked at that post. Certainly not a fact or a greater good.

Not content with the division between club and fans, that sort of attitude creates a split between fans with one calling themselves the greater good and the other ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Trying to compare the price of a pint or milk going up to the increase in ticket prices? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suggest you look at the annual rate of inflation over the last 20/30years, the increase in match tickets is not in line with inflation levels.

LFC is a football club, they should run it as a business but treat fans as supporters and not consumers - trying to squeeze every last penny out of them.

Looking to make an extra £2m when they are already going to get an extra £40-60m in TV revenue on top of their ever increasing commerical revenue is not needed. All football fans as is are ripped off.

You going over once a year to your game, you dont mind paying the high price of the ticket once off. Thousands and thousands of loyal fans who have been going to the game every other week are being priced out, many loyal fans who have been going for years have stopped going now and it will only get worse. You obviously don't get it. Put yourself in someone who has been going every week for years to the game and its been part of their life, now the club are doing as much as they can to effectively price them out of it.

The atmosphere has gone to sh1te the last few years in particular, partially due to match going regulars being priced out of it. The heart and soul of the club is in Liverpool, its the 4th most deprived part of the country and they continue to increase ticket prices.

Of course they will get their once a season visitors to fill alot of the seats when they lose fans who go every week.

But as could be seen today with all those who stayed behind after 77 minutes - they couldnt even get a song going between the lot of them. And the club markets and sells alot based on the "Famous Atmosphere" - its only going to be a bad atmosphere now unless they do something quick.

Three things Sundance:

1. I meant beer, not milk. Milk is a dietary staple, beer is a discretionary nice to have, like attending PL matches.

2. Inflation has nothing to do with how you set the price of your product or service. Price is primarily determined by the elasticity of demand, the availability of substitute products and services and what the market will bear. LFC gave up the utopian idea of low ticket prices for all when it became a privately owned business.

3. I posted a few days ago that whilst a multi level pricing strategy may well maximise revenue but by pursuing such a policy FSG may kill the goose that lays the golden egg for the very reason you highlight. I personally believe they need to protect affordability for the local fan base and in decreasing or freezing the price of so many tickets I think that is their aim.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a shame only something like this appears to get the match going supporters agitated. Sit on their hands for 70 mins, sing for 7 then leave.

Our famous atmosphere is a bit of a myth.

Is it an age profile?as mentioned below I would like cheaper going adults or child tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

naughtb4 wrote: »
    It's a shame only something like this appears to get the match going supporters agitated. Sit on their hands for 70 mins, sing for 7 then leave.

Our famous atmosphere is a bit of a myth.

Is it an age profile?as mentioned below I would like cheaper going adults or child tickets.

The fans are not club employees with a contractual obligation to generate atmosphere on demand. The club can't on the one hand price those supporters' tickets like they're just mere consumers of entertainment and still expect noisy passion and vocal commitment on tap, to make sure the product is to the taste of TV viewers and tourists.

I'm not sure why some on here and the club hierarchy don't get that. Ayre and his "be careful what you wish for" spiel was borderline autistic in that regard. If the club stops treating fans like fans and instead treats them like indistinguishable guests at a theme park, then the folks you get through the door aren't going to raucously chant and sing through thick and thin.

Ayre and shortsighted types like him are to be found in all industries, numpties who think that reality conforms to Excel spreadsheets, that "bright" ideas that give short term bumps in the numbers won't have long term consequences beyond the next quarter, because they're blind to the fact that they're dealing with human beings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I brought my young lad for the first time today and didn't leave. Very hard to try explain the situation to a 5 yr old. Fair play to the lads that left they are dead right imo. In different circumstances id have left too. I think we are at a key point in English football the money has just got crazy and if I'm being honest I'm losing interest in the whole thing. The wages and ticket prices are obscene and I really want the bubble to burst. Which it will eventually things have gone too far and people are getting too greedy. Football in england needs to get back to its roots and if Leicester can win the league it will be a help in the right direction.

My dad used to insist on leaving every match early to beat the traffic and get home to milk the cows. It used to drive me nuts but I couldn't argue with him as I was young and gullible. It was only years later that he told me part of the reason was our gaa team were useless and prone to shutting down in the last few minutes. Half the matches that I thought we won ended up draws or losses but I never knew.
    Just think how happy your 5 year old would've been coming home after a 2-0 win if youd left at the 77th (until he goes into school on Monday at least).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Back from a two week "holiday". Glad to find that we're still sh1t :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Things really went to ****e when I did the match thread. Injuries, Klopp in hospital, total collapse to big Sam and a fan revolt.
    Reconsidering doing the one on Tuesday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mq1syPL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm shocked at that post. Certainly not a fact or a greater good.

Not content with the division between club and fans, that sort of attitude creates a split between fans with one calling themselves the greater good and the other ignorant.

It's a typical sos sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

This is an interesting read on injury and the psychology of injury and pain... and Daniel Sturridge.

Personally I feel for the guy and don't think he deserve criticism to the extent that he's received (though probably he could help himself more) - it's a complex situation. That said, I wouldn't be confident that the Sturridge we saw in the early stages of his Liverpool career will ever return. Maybe there'll be an odd purple patch of injury-free scoring but the norm will be a state of injury, rehab and rusty returns.

I saw a cursory mention in some forgettable tabloid that a bid of £30m would have Sturridge out the door and with a heavy heart, knowing how great an injury-free Sturridge can be, I'd take that with the proviso that Klopp dictates how that money is spent.

http://www.footballparadise.com/football-paradise-exclusive-interview-with-ex-liverpool-head-of-fitness-darren-burgess-on-daniel-sturridge/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SM01 wrote: »
    This is an interesting read on injury and the psychology of injury and pain... and Daniel Sturridge.

Personally I feel for the guy and Don't think he deserve criticism to the extent that he's received (though probably he could help himself more) - it's a complex situation. That said, I wouldn't be confident that the Sturridge we saw in the early stages of his Liverpool career will ever return. Maybe there'll be an odd purple patch of injury-free scoring but the norm will be a state of injury, rehab and rusty returns.

I saw a cursory mention in some forgettable tabloid that a bid of £30m would have Sturridge out the door and with a heavy heart, knowing how great an injury-free Sturridge can be, I'd take that with the proviso that Klopp dictates how that money is spent.

http://www.footballparadise.com/football-paradise-exclusive-interview-with-ex-liverpool-head-of-fitness-darren-burgess-on-daniel-sturridge/

Just take 300, get him hypnotised that it's all in his mind and boom, sorted!
    If it's good enough to get my mate off the smokes, it's good enough for Daniel "I'm a bit precious" sturridge.*

*My mate claims he actually gave up the smokes because he is stubborn and was so disgusted after wasting 300 on useless hypnosis that he wanted to prove a point. :rolleyes:
    Not sure that 300 is much of an incentive for Daniel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Gbear wrote: »
    The same as a lot of players who come here he suffers from being under the spotlight.

He's a grand enough keeper for 12-20 in the league, and it'd be a similar story around most other European leagues.

Completely agree with this, and it applies to a lot of the players we bought recently. The likes of Lallana, Lovren and Allen are players that will look very good at times against some teams over the season but are not players that are going to improve a team aiming for the top four. Recently someone mentioned Ashley Williams again after he had a great game against one of the top teams, but not many take notice of how bad he was the two or three games after that against poorer opposition because he was not camped in his six yard box for the entire game. If we keep buying mid-table players for our first team we can't be surprised ending up a mid-table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Any protest that involves buying a ticket seems pretty stupid to me. Also, why leave at the 77th minute? Just don't turn up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont dislike Mignolet because he is limited, I dislike him because he makes lazy mistakes. Yesterday the team done really well to break down a defensive Sunderland team. He didn't have a lot to do, but when it came to it he couldn't organise his wall and couldn't get his angles right and switched off completely. Players busting a gut pressing and trying to make things happen and Mignolet just got lazy. This happens a lot and its scary how much we get away with it at times.

A competent keeper, not spectacular or amazing, but a keeper who does the simple things well will be a huge improvement on him. Whether he isn't mentally strong enough or lacks ability/confidence he is without question worse now than he was when he joined and while we can get away with players outfield putting in sub par performances our GK cannot behave the same way.

I am sick of the sight of him bluffing his way through games, an absolute liability at this moment in every area of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Augme wrote: »
    Any protest that involves buying a ticket seems pretty stupid to me. Also, why leave at the 77th minute? Just don't turn up at all.

They would have had their tickets bought long before any ticket price increases were announced.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement