Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

5starpool wrote: »
    Without doing any research into it, Bundesliga prices are far, far cheaper than in the PL.

I can confirm as a season ticket holder at a Bundesliga club (BVB) that prices are cheaper but you can also see a steady price increase every year. 2002 my season ticket cost €109, this season the same ticket would cost €207.
    Season ticket prices increased by appox. 1,6% on average from 14/15 to 15/16.

Most expensive ticket if you are buying on a game by game basis outside VIP area is appox. €65 plus €70 membership fee per year to avail of pre sale conditions. Free transport to and from the stadium is included, however this is financed by the taxpayer as the club only pays a minimal fee to the regional public transport group. On top of this clubs are not expected nor do they pay for policing/fire safety at the stadium or surrounding areas...again it is paid for by the tax payer.

Now take into consideration that 81,000 fans are in the stadium for every home game and salaries/transfer fees are nowhere near those in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Without doing any research into it, Bundesliga prices are far, far cheaper than in the PL.

Because of the standing. The average seating options aren't too different, although Sterling conversion rate skews it.

Also, the have seen roughly the same price increase % over the last 10-20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I know it's the London factor but Arsenal average ticket prices up 117.6% since 2000.
    From £21 to £45.69

zxIC47s.jpg
    I am going to stay out of this argument but I feel I have to point out that there are two different stadiums included in that comparison and the second stadium has a much higher number of high revenue corporate boxes which will skew the figures unfairly towards showing higher % increases overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mada999 wrote: »
    by the looks of a few of them in the wall, they were afraid of the ball actually hitting them which is the purpose of a wall..

Did you see Leicester vs Us and Vs City? Yer man Huth must blocked about 4 full force shots with his stomach/chest... that is what you want....

I cant believe Lol an a just stood and watched that tame shot go past him in the wall...

They are a bunch of pússies

I think you're complaining about completely the wrong things. The wall itself was fine, it was just in the wrong place. That's not their fault - it's the keeper. The keeper decides how many people need to be in it, and exactly where they stand.

As for expecting Lallana to have somehow blocked it, I can't see that at all. Your job in the wall is to be a wall - you're 10 yards from the taker, even this 'tame' shot is gone past you before you can even think.

As someone pointed out it looks like maybe Mignolet anticipated the right footed kicker and set the wall up accordingly, rather than adding an extra man to take care of the left footer too. That, or he just got his positioning of the wall completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Definitely think Mignolet was covering for the right free, especially after that Payet attempt last week where he tried to fool him on his 'blindside', for want of a better term. Cover the side that's more difficult to view, and clear sight of ball for the left foot shot, which he should have saved.

He got it hopelessly wrong, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think you're complaining about completely the wrong things. The wall itself was fine, it was just in the wrong place. That's not their fault - it's the keeper. The keeper decides how many people need to be in it, and exactly where they stand.

As for expecting Lallana to have somehow blocked it, I can't see that at all. Your job in the wall is to be a wall - you're 10 yards from the taker, even this 'tame' shot is gone past you before you can even think.

As someone pointed out it looks like maybe Mignolet anticipated the right footed kicker and set the wall up accordingly, rather than adding an extra man to take care of the left footer too. That, or he just got his positioning of the wall completely wrong.

Even if the wall was ****e, he still should have stopped it. It was a nothing shot that that actally went under him.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Even if the wall was ****e, he still should have stopped it. It was a nothing shot that that actally went under him.

Yup, it was his mistake on both parts - bad positioning of the wall, and then weak hands in trying to keep it out.

Just watching The United V Chelsea game today, and even the Arsenal game - the difference in having a decent keeper is huge. If we replaced any of those 3 teams keepers today with Mignolet they'd have conceded 2 or 3 more than they did for definite, looking at the saves Cech, Courtois and De Gea made.

Mig seems like a nice chap, and he's obviously not failing on purpose, but it's now the outstanding position that needs to be rectified. I have no problem with him staying to be honest, he'd be more than adequate backup to a first choice keeper, in the same way Begovic is a great backup to Courtois. But we have to bring in a higher level option.

As an aside, it's doubly annoying to see Pepe Reina back looking trim, still only 33, top of the league with Napoli, with the second best defense in the league and around a 45% clean sheet record.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

As an aside, it's doubly annoying to see Pepe Reina back looking trim, still only 33, top of the league with Napoli, with the second best defense in the league and around a 45% clean sheet record.

Annoying ish.

He wanted out from LFC, he's nowhere near as good as he was imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It was madness that we didn't throw everything we had when Czech was available that time, is there rumour flying around that we are interested in Leno from lederhosen,that would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It was madness that we didn't throw everything we had when Czech was available that time, is there rumour flying around that we are interested in Leno from lederhosen,that would be nice

I think Cech was keen to stay in London in fairness and would have wanted Champions League football as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cech is water under the bridge.

On the other hand, it looks like Begovic will be available this Summer and we should absolutely be trying to sign him up.

On the other hand, it looks like Begovic will be available this Summer and we should absolutely be trying to sign him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

We should raid the Saints again for their keeper :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

shamrock55 wrote: »

Surely there is no team called Lederhosen is there? Is this an autocorrect typo?

Nah, to be honest I think the myth of Begovic has far surpassed his actual ability. He's a decent keeper, but only a slight step above Mignolet. Still a gulf between him and the top level keepers.
    Surely there is no team called Lederhosen is there? Is this an autocorrect typo?

It's a joke on Leverkusen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Should have signed him instead of Mignolet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/status/696461006302740480
    Tony Barrett - Liverpool are considering a review of their controversial new ticket prices

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

MD1990 wrote: »

Looks like protesting does work, but if you listened to some on here we are a disgrace and should have just shut up and paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I wanted Forster over Mig at the time Mig was signed, a really solid keeper who'd have been available on lower wages.

Similar to Southampton signing VvD and Wanyama on the cheap (by prem standards), both would have been worth a punt for Liverpool, particularly Wanyama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Dub13 wrote: »
    Looks like protesting does work, but if you listened to some on here we are a disgrace and should have just shut up and paid.

I'd be waiting to see what they have to offer first. Club will be stung by the publicity it got, no doubt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mosstin wrote: »
    I'd be waiting to see what they have to offer first. Club will be stung by the publicity it got, no doubt.

Of course, the chances are it will only be a token gesture but the fact remains protesting works many (not just here) said it was pointless.

Of course, the chances are it will only be a token gesture but the fact remains protesting works many (not just here) said it was pointless.

Thought it was wonderful. Kind of exposed quite a few and how they see the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

An excellent keeper, his performances for celtic were top class. Look at how much better Southampton are since he returned.

The importance of a top goalkeeper can not be overstated enough. Watching the chelsea game earlier and it was world class save after world class save at both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe we should try Sturridge in goal for sh1ts and giggles less chance him getting injured just standing in the same spot for 90 minutes.

Big game Tuesday we have very good chance of getting to the latter stages of the fa cup. Sturridge to start and hopefully ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some = 1 or 2.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

K-9 wrote: »
    Some = 1 or 2.

It was more than that in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liked Begovic at Stoke but he wasn't too impressive for Chelsea this season when Courtois was out for 2 months or so.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It was more than that in fairness

Significantly.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Personally I think its sad that a supporter would want us to lose a cup final to avoid the Europa league.......its an ugly notion and I will never understand it....

Having a small squad, with one game a week for a season will not solve our problems and is not a long term strategy for success. There is no quick fix here.

There are plenty of good reasons to want to be in the Europa league and do well. CL spot is obviously the big one but another important factor is our European coefficient, experience for the younger players etc etc

Sad and ugly - really ?

You don't understand the benefits of starting the season and not being involved in the Europa League ?

Well I don't really know what to say to that as I thought the benefits were fairly obvious but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sad and ugly - really ?

You don't understand the benefits of starting the season and not being involved in the Europa League ?

Well I don't really know what to say to that as I thought the benefits were fairly obvious but each to their own.

At the expense of winning a trophy? No chance.

At the expense of winning a trophy? No chance.

You do know we, the fans, can't effect the result of the game ?

It's not at the expense but if it happens I'll not be too worried.

I'm more interested in the long term and I think it would be good to start the season focused solely on the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sad and ugly - really ?

Yes sad and ugly, absolutely......I dont understand how a supporter would not want to win trophies its weird.....the benefits of not being in the Europa league is very short term and as I explained its not a long term fix......its naive to thing we'll sort all our problems out with no Europe next year, what happens if it doesn't work out next year? Take a few more seasons out of Europe and watch our coefficient get worse and worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maybe we should try Sturridge in goal for sh1ts and giggles less chance him getting injured just standing in the same spot for 90 minutes.

He'd be killed if the ball hit him !!

Yes sad and ugly, absolutely......I dont understand how a supporter would not want to win trophies its weird.....the benefits of not being in the Europa league is very short term and as I explained its not a long term fix......its naive to thing we'll sort all our problems out with no Europe next year, what happens if it doesn't work out next year? Take a few more seasons out of Europe and watch our coefficient get worse and worse?

It' would be naive to think that winning this league cup means anything considering how the season has gone. It was certainly last on my list of what I wanted to be achieved this year and there will be no solace, for me, in winning it.

I have not suggested anything about a long term fix so I've no idea why you are bringing it up - especially when you're not suggesting one yourself.

I think starting next season, and not being in the Europa league, would benefit us. That's all I've said really so not sure why you see it as sad or ugly.

To be brutal - most of what you are saying has no real content. Its a tad dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

God it's awful catty in here.

Sad and ugly - really ?

Have you watched our FA Cup run this season? It has been the most exciting aspect of the season for me, watching the fringe/youth players play with a bit of passion and give the supporters a bit of optimism that there is better/alternatives to some of the bums playing in the league week in week out.

A large number of games is how we build squad depth.

I want to see us compete for every trophy possible, what a season it would be if we could do the treble like under Houllier.

It' would be naive to think that winning this league cup means anything considering how the season has gone. It was certainly last on my list of what I wanted to be achieved this year and there will be no solace, for me, in winning it.

I have not suggested anything about a long term fix so I've no idea why you are bringing it up - especially when you're not suggesting one yourself.

I think starting next season, and not being in the Europa league, would benefit us. That's all I've said really so not sure why you see it as sad or ugly.

To be brutal - most of what you are saying has no real content. Its a tad dramatic.

No, thats not what you said.

You said you'd rather not win a cup competition to avoid the Europa cup. As a supporter, to read that is really sad. I'm happy enough knowing that Klopp won't have this narrow minded view on success. The club exists to win trophies.

Thanks for critiquing my posting style....:pac:....you could always just ignore them if they are not to your liking......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If this team managed to pull off a cup treble this season I would seriously lose my ****.
    Considering how mentally weak they are at times, winning the treble would be amazing.
    **** it, right now just winning one trophy would be amazing and we should put every effort into our remaining cup games.

If this team managed to pull off a cup treble this season I would seriously lose my ****.
    Considering how mentally weak they are at times, winning the treble would be amazing.
    **** it, right now just winning one trophy would be amazing and we should put every effort into our remaining cup games.

No......we should just concentrate on the League......think of the benefits.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't recall anyone here saying the protesters were a disgrace and should just shut up and pay. There were plenty including me who pointed out that the club is a business which will seek to maximise revenue the best way it can but that in doing so it runs the risk of killing the goose that's laying the golden egg. It's a fine balancing act and if FSG are now prepared to tweak some elements of the pricing so they can get the right balance between cheaper seats for locals/season ticket holders and more expensive better located seats for travelling fans who go once every few years or even 2-3 times a year and are prepared to pay a premium which in the overall cost of the trip (flights, accommodation, taxis, food and drink etc) is nominal then great. Let's see what the tweaks actually deliver first though before doing a George Bush on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

whatever about anything else,throwing club scarves,shirts ,off in the direction of the pitch screams at the team,not the owners,thats how it looked to me watching it,it can be interpreted any way the viewer is swayed,or in the case of fans from far a field not 100% up to speed,to any of them it looks like the fans are attacking the team, i was angry myself,even though i knew the intent behind the actions,i felt what i saw was disrespectful to the club, forget the owners,they can change,dont disrespect the club. it just makes us look bad worldwide.

wave your banners,walk out,dont attend,give interviews.

imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

whatever about anything else,throwing club scarves,shirts ,off in the direction of the pitch screams at the team,not the owners,thats how it looked to me watching it,it can be interpreted any way the viewer is swayed,or in the case of fans from far a field not 100% up to speed,to any of them it looks like the fans are attacking the team, i was angry myself,even though i knew the intent behind the actions,i felt what i saw was disrespectful to the club, forget the owners,they can change,dont disrespect the club. it just makes us look bad worldwide.

wave your banners,walk out,dont attend,give interviews.

imo.

No......we should just concentrate on the League......think of the benefits.....

So I've hit a nerve by saying your posts are void of content.

I simply stated I would not like to be in the Europa league next season, as I think it would benefit us, and your lost your Shít tabloid style.

So I've hit a nerve by saying your posts are void of content.

I simply stated I would not like to be in the Europa league next season, as I think it would benefit us, and your lost your Shít tabloid style.

Thats not what you said though? :confused:

You said you would rather lose a cup final than get into the Europa league.........

"Lost my **** tabloid style"....now who's being dramatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't recall anyone here saying the protesters were a disgrace and should just shut up and pay. There were plenty including me who pointed out that the club is a business which will seek to maximise revenue the best way it can but that in doing so it runs the risk of killing the goose that's laying the golden egg. It's a fine balancing act and if FSG are now prepared to tweak some elements of the pricing so they can get the right balance between cheaper seats for locals/season ticket holders and more expensive better located seats for travelling fans who go once every few years or even 2-3 times a year and are prepared to pay a premium which in the overall cost of the trip (flights, accommodation, taxis, food and drink etc) is nominal then great. Let's see what the tweaks actually deliver first though before doing a George Bush on it ;)
    You did say that some love a moan & generally u were condescending of supporters who were in favour of protesting because you were willing to pay 5,000 yourself to help the fans buy the club. Thats how you came across to me. A football club is not like an ordinary business hopefully you realise that sometime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

rob316 wrote: »
    Have you watched our FA Cup run this season? It has been the most exciting aspect of the season for me, watching the fringe/youth players play with a bit of passion and give the supporters a bit of optimism that there is better/alternatives to some of the bums playing in the league week in week out.

A large number of games is how we build squad depth.

I want to see us compete for every trophy possible, what a season it would be if we could do the treble like under Houllier.

We've only got through 1 round, hardly a run biggrin.png

I 100% agree though, it has been great watching the fringe/young players though. These are the guys more open to change and hopefully a few will thrive next year under Klopp.

Sturridge to shoot us to EL glory, CL qualification and in doing so cover his £7.5M/annum wages for 4 years to keep the boards.ie LFC soccer accountants happy & entertain the rest of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just go for the Europa League & League Cup.

Not getting Champions League via top 4.

Only bad thing about winning the League Cup is the 2 rounds of Qualifying in the Europa League in the summer before even entering the group stage.

Excel table for a better visual

53 Leicester
    48 Tottenham Arsenal
    47 Man City
    41 Man Utd
    39 West Ham
    37 Southampton
    35 Everton Liverpool
    33 Watford Stoke
    32 Crystal Palace
    30 Chelsea
    29 West Brom
    28 Bournemouth
    27 Swansea
    24 Newcastle
    23 Norwich
    20 Sunderland
    16 Aston Villa

• Advertisement

I don't think we have to worry about Europa League football next year as we're going to win the competition this year and secure an automatic Champions League spot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement