Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Network and Number

• 10-01-2016 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

changing from vodafone to three and a new number aswell

how do i back up all my contacts ? so when i insert new sim they will still be there

iphone 6 btw

all my pics i have stored on my wd mycloud aswell as music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iPhone contacts are stored on the phone and not the SIM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

changing from vodafone to three and a new number aswell

how do i back up all my contacts ? so when i insert new sim they will still be there

iphone 6 btw

all my pics i have stored on my wd mycloud aswell as music

Just do an iCloud back up and restore it with the new phone.
    Everything will,be transferred, contacts, sms, photos, wallpapers etc etc

Just go to the iCloud settings and make sure you have the relevant fields ticked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

If you are not changing phone just insert the new SIM, everything will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Everything will work fine (assuming your phone is unlocked).

The only thing to be ware of is there's a tiny glitch with Messages when you restart with a new SIM.

If you've a conversation thread open, SMS stops working with the new SIM until you delete the conversation thread and start a new one. It seems to be down to confusion with iMessage and Caller ID.

Also, if you use iMessage / Facetime, it will change your phone number to the new one after a while.

I'd suggest switching both of those off before removing the previous SIM, then switch them on again when you put in the new one.

In general though, you can even change the SIM with the phone running (I've done this and it caused no issues). It'll just reboot itself.

Carrier settings usually happen automatically, although on some networks they're not hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me personally I use Google Contacts and Calendar etc so when I get a new phone (apple/android/blah) I just link it to my google account and it updates phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

You'll have no issues at all changing SIM other than a simple reboot.

The only issue you might have is with existing SMS conversations as iOS doesn't seem to like a switch of SIM mid conversation. You typically have to delete the conversation and start a new one to continue or you will get SMS failure "!" messages.

Advertisement