Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm thinking of getting a mobile home in the future.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Water John wrote: »
    Its an agricultural shed, with some windows. Not spoofing.

on a site on its own?

no electricity or water or toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm aware of a house near Maynooth (but actually in Meath) that was built as a suspiciously large and oddly shaped 'farm shed' and had change of use approved later down the line but I'm not sure if it was lived in in the intervening period. Still a plug ugly house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Riskymove wrote: »
    on a site on its own?

no electricity or water or toilet?

Sheds can have light and water. Horses need water and feeding etc at winter night .My car is in one here; well lit and an outside tap. Easy enough to put in a toilet. ...Wonderful idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Sure it's pretty simple to setup water & electricity: get yourself a good large waterbutt & a decent solar / wind gene & your away. I've got a butt piped into my toilet at home saves me tonnes on the water charges annually!! Cost was €45 including drill bits & piping.
    Of course a decent means for the effluent is essential too. We can't all be burying our poo like a cat :d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres a site near swords ,
    you can buy a mobile home for 30-50k.
    they charge service charges ,for esb,water ,
    i think its about 2k per year.
    theres 2-3bed units .with kitchen, bathroom shower .
    built to very high specs .
    basically the size of a 1bed apartment, built to very high specs .
    you buy it ,but it remains on site ,
    its not really mobile , like the pic in this thread.
    looks like a small house.
    inside i did a tour, it looks like a high spec apartment ,fit out to a very high standard ,
    fitted high spec kitchen ,bathroom.
    i supose you could put up a small dish to get sky tv, or freesat tv.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3402133/Now-S-downsizing-San-Francisco-couple-fed-paying-rent-buy-162-square-foot-house-inside-TRAILER-80-000-comes-kitchen-bathroom-space-guests.html

80k cost solar panel power trailer home ,
    can be towed moved anytime .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

riclad wrote: »
    Theres a site near swords ,
    you can buy a mobile home for 30-50k.
    they charge service charges ,for esb,water ,
    i think its about 2k per year.

Are you thinking of Mantua park? If so is that not closed and being redeveloped?

I know a couple that bought 5 portocabins in England, they are English, The cabins were already insulated.
    Brought them over to Cavan, and have a massive house now. Looks all the world like a bungalow from outside.
    3 bedrooms, separate kitchen, dining room & massive sitting room. Utility & big bathroom.
    I Couldn't believe the size of it when put together.
    It's cost them less than 20k, they're talking about putting a roof on now for few more bob. Kind of a fake roof if ya like, plastic maybe? Just on the top of the flat roof.

Looks great, but they did already have a serviced site.

cant remember i was there about 3 years ago, its like 20 mins drive from coolock .

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

check out log cabins! smaller ones start from 30k, larger ones 50k.

warm, cosy cheap :)

House barge on one of Dublin's many canals? Pot belly stove and you'll be toasty out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Mantua park? If so is that not closed and being redeveloped?
    I think definitely not mantua park I lived down there for a good few years and there was a great community spirit.Moved out years later to upgrade to bricks and morter and around the same time or later the site went downhill,drove down into the site a few years later and it was like a ghost town.Vacant sites and a few remaining tenants holding on,felt so eerie......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    House barge on one of Dublin's many canals? Pot belly stove and you'll be toasty out.

There's a fair bit of charges associated with a house boat.
    damon5 wrote: »
    I think definitely not mantua park I lived down there for a good few years and there was a great community spirit.Moved out years later to upgrade to bricks and morter and around the same time or later the site went downhill,drove down into the site a few years later and it was like a ghost town.Vacant sites and a few remaining tenants holding on,felt so eerie......

Ah it was sold in 2011, being redeveloped now into 28 houses iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Stheno wrote: »
    There's a fair bit of charges associated with a house boat.

Ah it was sold in 2011, being redeveloped now into 28 houses iirc

Cheers Stheno thanks for the update ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd be wary of buying a barge/house boat if it's a canal in Dublin you have in mind. Despite how idyllic it looks when you see Dick Warner staring thoughtfully into the distance, the canals cut through some less that desirable areas. People who travel through these areas on their barges sometimes run into problems with the natives who like to throw things or steal from their boats.

Incidentally, did you say what your budget is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

There were 2 mobile home parks in Swords, I was aware Mantua was sold, but there is / was a smaller one on the Rathbeale Road up near JC's shopping Centre. When I was looking to buy I considered it and viewed a few in 96- but they didn't allow children on the 2nd mobile home site.
    I remember mantua park well, had a lot of friend up there years ago.

zef wrote: »
    There were 2 mobile home parks in Swords, I was aware Mantua was sold, but there is / was a smaller one on the Rathbeale Road up near JC's shopping Centre. When I was looking to buy I considered it and viewed a few in 96- but they didn't allow children on the 2nd mobile home site.
    I remember mantua park well, had a lot of friend up there years ago.

Fairly sure the one on Rathbeale Road is also gone as I live along there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Ah its been a while since I was in the area. Pity they are gone. I'd say many people would jump at the chance to rent one.
    Just had a look and theres a very decent 35x10 one on adverts for 4k, OP- bought by a couple and used for 4 mhs while their house was being built.-http://www.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/mobile-home-35-x-10/9610075
    A lot of people seem to be making enquiries about alternative living , we seem to be a society that frowns on anything other than bricks and mortar, when in reality insulated cabins, mobile homes and the like could provide cheap accom for low paid single workers, or anyone in need of a roof. I am unsure of the legalities at present, and one might have to buy a site etc.

Maybe a farmer would let you live on a site ,especially if you had a solar powered trailer .
    for a small rent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sheds can have light and water. Horses need water and feeding etc at winter night .My car is in one here; well lit and an outside tap. Easy enough to put in a toilet. ...Wonderful idea!

my point is that if someone is living in a building that is connected to services such as electricity and water then it requires planning permission

that is why I asked if it was on a site on its own

Advertisement