Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be wrong to leave with these issues

Options
  • 10-01-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

So never thought I would actually post in these thread but here I am.

Some backround I moved into a property 15 months ago renting a room in a 5 bedroom house in South Dublin.

House is ok but the lack of repair is getting to me.

Few issues I have faced.

1 when I moved in the landlord said all bills is in his name and would call around collecting 50 a month to cover everything. Fine, wanted to pay him by bank transfer on my rent but no he wanted it in cash. March after 5 months pops around said he wants 250 euro. Gives it to him. Since then he hasn't asked for it again.

2 our bins wasn't collected for months, I rang every day 2-3 times and texted just to be ignored. After been told not to set up an account in any of our names eventually I went off set up my own bill account with a prepaid card and finally this issue was sorted...... fyi he still wants 50 a month. 3 months later he turns up with a bin card saying look got it sorted for ya there lads (deserves a pat on the back) the UPC is still paid by my housemate by direct debit.

3 I changed rooms in May of this year radiator never worked, in july it started leaking destroying the carpet maken the room very damp and cold. This leak I fixed with wrapping a towel around. This was only fixed when the gas company disconnected us for surprise surprise the bills wern't paid. All the bills went directly to the LL property which is down the country some place which we never saw.

4 the gas was not reconnected for a week because it has a hazard according to the company. New boiler had to be fitted with a different vent and fittings. Then the radiator leak was sorted.

5 raditor still doesn't work, the plumber even looked at it while I was there and said ah bigger pump your raditor is been by passed it all... LL next week I will get to this, this was in November.

6 current issue, the bathroom is leaking through the shower glass into the kitchen down stairs since end of November, came over said no bother Tec Seven around the glass fixed it.... 2 weeks later we notice a new drip running (wait for it) down the kitchen light and onto the floor. Would I be wrong to persum this is actually a fire hazard at this stage???

I am feed up of been ignored with these current issues, in the last few days my cousin has asked me to move into an apartment splitting the rent it is much cheaper then where I am and in excellent condiction, I have told the landlord unless these are sorted I feel I must move out..... ignored again!!

Fully aware he is a working man with a family and kids and no body should be expected to fix an issue within a day.. but really he is taken the mick..

There is enough presure with working full time and completing professional level exams without coming back to a house to wonder will we have electricity to cook.

sorry for the rant but it has been bugging me, I know this aint the worst in the world but been ignored is very annoying!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a mess of a situation- the only advice I can really give- is take up your cousin on his offer and get the hell out of there.

It sounds like the owner wants cashflow from the property- but isn't interested in investing anything into it.

Part of the trouble with 'renting a room' in a house- is you are not the sole tenant- and often can end up arguing whether or not you're a tenant or a licensee- and what rules apply.

The current situation is completely untenable- and is not going to get better- get out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Thanks for you reply, made the decision Friday I will be moving ( more or less just wanted to hear I made the right decision )

As for my deposit I couldn't care less at this stage all I want is the piece of mind the house won't fall down while I sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Landlord keeping everything in his name is a tell tale sign that neither revenue or the prtb have any idea he is renting this property out. Could be good to drop an email to them both advising such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lantus wrote: »
    Landlord keeping everything in his name is a tell tale sign that neither revenue or the prtb have any idea he is renting this property out. Could be good to drop an email to them both advising such.

To what end?

OP the place sounds like a living nightmare. You've made the right decision. Move on and don't look back.

Hope the next place works out you sound like a decent Tennant.

PBRT are aware but it is only on the website as a 1 bedroom house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I usually get annoyed when posters jump immediately to accuse a LL of not paying tax, but in this instance I have to agree.

Also, OP it should make no difference whether the LL has a busy schedule or not. By maintaining a rental property he has taken on these obligations. If he can't do these things himself in a timely manner then he needs to find someone who can.

For our properties we have a "guy" who can do anything. If there is a problem we can't deal with ourselves, we let the tenants arrange directly with him and it's normally sorted within days. If it's something we can deal with, then we do it within 24 hours. If we have to rearrange our schedules, tough for us. That's the nature of being a LL.

Get out of there, it's not worth it

And it takes another turn, the landlord has just appear this morning.. no notice and phone call with a shower seal and some Tec 7. Said he needs to lift the floor boards but needs a plumber. No time or date set just what he needs to do.

If there was ever an empty promise this sounds like 1.

Appoligies if this has turned into a LL bashing trend on my behalf.

I didn't intend to have it, he is a decent guy if he gets the finger out. Just spoken to him, he will return the balance of the deposit for the rest of this month when I move out. I was dreading this conversation wasn't sure how it was going to go.

I think the above posts maybe right, i have really given him 2/3 days notice I am moving and he is more then happy saying he will return the balance of the deposit. Fingers crossed, january is a long month ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

sonyvision wrote: »
    Appoligies if this has turned into a LL bashing trend on my behalf.

I didn't intend to have it, he is a decent guy if he gets the finger out. Just spoken to him, he will return the balance of the deposit for the rest of this month when I move out. I was dreading this conversation wasn't sure how it was going to go.

I think the above posts maybe right, i have really given him 2/3 days notice I am moving and he is more then happy saying he will return the balance of the deposit. Fingers crossed, january is a long month ha.

I'd hold my fire on this until he returns your deposit, myself. His word doesn't appear to be something to rely on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I know plenty of Landlords who do this. It is easier to keep the bills in the Landlord's name, then deduct them out of the deposit at the end of the tenancy(the LL might collect money at christmas).

There is nothing worse when you put bills into the tenant's name and by the you go to put it back into the LLs name at the end of the tenancy. You discover the tenant whose name the bills were in is in San Diego on a J1 or back in Germany. After several hours of calls, texts and emails John or Hans finally 2/3 weeks later, after another tenant has moved. He actually has taken his name off the bills. Then the process repeats with the next set of tenants.

It is grand for a LL with 1/2 properties to go to the effort of changing names constantly. But for larger LLs it is a nightmare not worth dealing with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement