Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad Air or Ipad Air 2

• 10-01-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm going to buy an iPad and have decided between the IPad Air or Ipad Air 2, I suppose the main reason I'm picking the iPad Air is I like the screen size, I'm just wondering am I better to go for the IPad Air 2 which will be about 600 or stick to the IPad Air for 450.... I'll just be using it for jut browsing and watching videos and movies, am I better of spending the extra 150??????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Might I suggest you also look into the refurbished models from Apple. I picked one up for about 100e off full price and so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The Air is probably plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fozzieg

Not sure about the iPad Air 2 but some warning on the iPad Air. Got one about a month ago it slid off the couch onto the carpet last night with a hard case on it. Didn't realise until later there was a hairline crack across the screen. Read up last night on it & apparently these screens are super delicate with some breaking without falling etc..

Do your homework on this. I called Apple & I am not satisfied with the response. Will be calling tomorrow like a bull but check up the iPad Air 2 has a more robust screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

fozzieg wrote: »
    Not sure about the iPad Air 2 but some warning on the iPad Air. Got one about a month ago it slid off the couch onto the carpet last night with a hard case on it. Didn't realise until later there was a hairline crack across the screen. Read up last night on it & apparently these screens are super delicate with some breaking without falling etc..

Do your homework on this. I called Apple & I am not satisfied with the response. Will be calling tomorrow like a bull but check up the iPad Air 2 has a more robust screen.
    Never heard of anything like this before. Had several iPads - never an issue.

OP, I've recently upgraded from air to air 2. Although they are different under the hood, honestly, I have seen no difference. And I use it all the time. To save a few quid, head over to adverts and buy off a seller with solid feedback. You'll save quite a bit and there's always new ones up for sale. I saved €100 on a 16gb Air2 just before the hols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks guys I say I'l more than likely going to get the Ipad Air so, thanks for all the replies, I want to buy new from Apple store though because I want to get it engraved.

• Advertisement

Hi guys sorry what does wifi+cellular, its 100 euro extra. I just want to pick wifi alone but if i pick this can I still connect the Ipad to my mobile data when I switch it on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wifi and cellular means the iPad can connect to standard wifi networks and if your phone carrier allows it personal hotspots.

The wifi + cellular model has its own SIM card tray that you can put a data dim in.

I'd go for the air 2 by the way. It has Touch ID and is only a year old and still a current gen iPad Air. Where as the Air is already two years old. To be honest iPad doesn't upgrade like the phone. For example I have an iPad mini 2 from launch and it's 3 years old and it's still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Zcott wrote: »
    The Air is probably plenty.

The iPad Air is plenty today, but remember it was released in 2013. So in a few years it would start lagging especially considering that the Air 2 is nearly twice as fast.
    My advice would be to buy the latest, especially if it is only going to cost you an extra 100.. it will be worth it in the long run.

iPad-Air-2.002-640x470.png

Thanks guys for all your replies, I got the IPad Air after. Using it to type this haha!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

The iPad Air is plenty today, but remember it was released in 2013. So in a few years it would start lagging especially considering that the Air 2 is nearly twice as fast.
    My advice would be to buy the latest, especially if it is only going to cost you an extra 100.. it will be worth it in the long run.

iPad-Air-2.002-640x470.png

Totally agree. Would have gone with the air 2 myself, seeing as the older one would be redundant any day now. Better to pay the extra and get the latest model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Totally agree. Would have gone with the air 2 myself, seeing as the older one would be redundant any day now. Better to pay the extra and get the latest model.

Any day now? Slight exaggeration. In fact massive exaggeration.

Ya I got iPad Air which I think is great, I'm not worried about it becoming redundant because to be honest it reminds me of my iPod touch which is 4 years old just bigger but it's actually the storage part that I'm thinking now maybe I should have just went for da iPad Air 2 64 gb because I didn't reilise that a film takes about 5 gb but it doesn't matter now I'm going to get a portable DVD player as well.... I just wanted to have films available to watch without internet but someone told me I can get a storage stick and store the movies there and then stick into the iPad...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You'd probably be better getting the Air 1 with massive storage instead of an Air 2 if you want to store a lot of movies on it.

Zcott wrote: »
    You'd probably be better getting the Air 1 with massive storage instead of an Air 2 if you want to store a lot of movies on it.

I did get the air 1 32 gb, but each movie takes 5gb so what should i do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get movies at smaller sizes, not much else you can do. the storage space on iPad's are fixed and you can't add anymore even by way of memory stick unless you get one of these http://eu.mophie.com/shop/spacestation but I don't know how well they are supported by apps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fin12 wrote: »
    I did get the air 1 32 gb, but each movie takes 5gb so what should i do?

Activate cloud services. Use iCloud, Google Drive,Microsoft One, Dropbox etc.

Using these services will give you loads of free storage and just install the films you need off line on the device. It's all very easy.

Advertisement