Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Bucket Collectors blocking Traffic !

• 10-01-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

On Saturday in a number of Locations these Bucket Collectors all over the roads in Dooradoyle trying to catch Motorists at Junctions & Traffic Lights this is strictly prohibited in their permit but was delighted to see the Gardai had them pulled aside at Punches X and taking their details .The Charity in question I won't name but this may affect their Permit application in future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

wonder was it same crowd at Ivan's cross yesterday. when we indicated didn't intend giving over money the collector just stood at the car window for ages after - bit intimidating for my daughter not long driving. haven't seen this practice in a long time, hope its not coming back into fashion. its bad enough not being able to walk the streets of the city centre without being hassled but now you can't even drive your car in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

wonder was it same crowd at Ivan's cross yesterday. when we indicated didn't intend giving over money the collector just stood at the car window for ages after - bit intimidating for my daughter not long driving. haven't seen this practice in a long time, hope its not coming back into fashion. its bad enough not being able to walk the streets of the city centre without being hassled but now you can't even drive your car in peace.
    Probably was as usually only one issued on each Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There was a big gang of them in the Milk Market on Saturday morning. I'm surprised they were allowed. That kind of thing is really going to put people off going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't think charity collectors will put people going somewhere. It's very simple to say "no thanks" or "I've already given" and walk on (with some choice language for those of a more aggressive nature who don't take no for an answer). :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw them at ivan's cross, and they seemed to be causing an obstruction. I thought there had been an accident. I saw them in a few places around that day, out by childers road also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Why not give feedback to the charity involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

mitresize5 wrote: »

didn't see what charity it was - the hi viz jackets just had Road Safety on them - is the govt so broke now that bucket collections are going to road improvement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Assuming they were collecting for that charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Assuming they were collecting for that charity.

Or to pay the wages of the 'voluntary' CEO ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The ones collecting on the Childers road on Saturday where some Breast Cancer charity. I noted as she was holding up traffic and was walking in the middle of the road. Chuggers are all over town and are a real nuisance tbh.

I've also noticed a real increase in jehovnah witnesses walking around. There are two young good looking guys targeting women and vice versa for the two hot girls they have preying on the men of Limerick. I was approached by the two guys several times in town over the last few weeks, but they have learned quickly to avoid me now (the raving atheist).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

panda100 wrote: »
    The ones collecting on the Childers road on Saturday where some Breast Cancer charity. I noted as she was holding up traffic and was walking in the middle of the road. Chuggers are all over town and are a real nuisance tbh.

I've also noticed a real increase in jehovnah witnesses walking around. There are two young good looking guys targeting women and vice versa for the two hot girls they have preying on the men of Limerick. I was approached by the two guys several times in town over the last few weeks, but they have learned quickly to avoid me now (the raving atheist).

Surely you mean the Mormons - there are LOTS of them out and about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Parchment wrote: »

Yes, the JWs these days just stand there, by their mobile bookstands, with a Watchtower or something in their hands — they don't approach people any more. They seem to have changed their marketing everywhere: I've noticed JWs do this in Manchester, London and Brussels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Parchment wrote: »

I'm guessing that's what he means alright. Although did I read it wrong or did he suggest that they have female teams now too?? That's new to me! I find them far less of an annoyance than chuggers either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

If they're blocking traffic just ring the Gardai or tweet @GardaTraffic and @AARoadWatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Parchment wrote:

Ah yes you are quite probably right. They are all just the same to me. Why the influx of Mormons in Limerick?
    I'm guessing that's what he means alright. Although did I read it wrong or did he suggest that they have female teams now too?? That's new to me! I find them far less of an annoyance than chuggers either way.

I'm a she not a he :) I've only been approached by the male team but I have seen the two females approaching men also. At least the chuggers only operate 9 to 5 and are isolated to a few spots in town. The Mormons have approached me in the estate I live near the South Circular Road. They also approached me around 8 in the evening when I was in town. I would prefer to go about my business without the Christian harassment, I got enough of that in school.

Ah yes you are quite probably right. They are all just the same to me. Why the influx of Mormons in Limerick?

I'm a she not a he :) I've only been approached by the male team but I have seen the two females approaching men also. At least the chuggers only operate 9 to 5 and are isolated to a few spots in town. The Mormons have approached me in the estate I live near the South Circular Road. They also approached me around 8 in the evening when I was in town. I would prefer to go about my business without the Christian harassment, I got enough of that in school.

Yeah right.. There's no women on the internet. Haha. Gender neutral user name and statistics led me to calling you he. I'll try to remember for next time.

I was always surprised by the lack of mormon callers in limerick, considering they have a good sized church building near the crescent. Used to see a lot more of them in a large town in cork with no church.
    Never any hassle with them in fairness, and once you say no thanks you know you won't have to run the gauntlet of 20 more before your stroll/shopping trip is done.
    I'd rather them as neighbours over plenty others...was working briefly with one lad and his stories of parties would make a coffee morning seem wild!

Was in town there earlier... 2 teams of 2 lads with badges around Thomas Street brown thomas street area. Either I've gotten very old since I saw their "elders" doing their thing or they are starting them very young in limerick.

Advertisement