Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AES Waste introducing Pay By Weight (PBW)

• 10-01-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Got the letter this week as probably did most of the residents serviced by AES to indicate the introduction of PBW by 1 July 2016.

Not impressed by the wording in the literature that appears to indicate a portion of the charge will be attributable to general waste (grey bin), Recyclable (blue bin) and compost bin (brown carry bin).

In response to my questions to AES I got the following replies.

1.At the moment AES cannot indicate what the charge will be. They will only know and indicate the charges in March / April in advance of this introduction date.

2. They cannot confirm if the charge per Kg will be the same for all residents as they do not know yet.

3. They cannot confirm if there is a lift charge, so if I do not put the bin out I won't be charged.

My guess is that they get X€ in revenue and will base a households charge per Kg on the history of that houses waste profile to ensure they do not lose revenue.
    I have a problem with this historic charge profile in that it takes no account of the here and now depending on a households changing of its waste segregation. I could be paying more per Kg than my neighbour and vise versa for the same weight!

I have a problem with the collection process as well. Most people recycle into the blue bin, therefore the grey bin contains less waste, therefore one would imagine AES would and should see that the blue bin needs collecting weekly and the grey bin bi-weekly. AES have not changed and collect as they always have the grey bin weekly even though mine does be less than half full!

So my policy will change from this week. I am only putting the grey bin out bi-weekly and will monitor online how it gets reflected in the waste recording as my blue bin was missed one week but they put a token weight into the system.

I am on a 140 litre bin BTW and can see me cancelling this service after the bottle bin is lifted. To be honest, these 140/240 litre bins are space invaders and I may revert to local recycling in the recycling centre but don't know where I would get rid of the 6 to 7 kg of general waste per week?

any thoughts or suggestions? the service costs 23.5 / month or €282 for this household, money I would rather have in my pocket with less bins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I just got the phone from AES about this. We got a letter saying we pay €30 DD per month and that the service charge will be for 6 month due til July 1st.
    However we were paying 25.50 per month! When I asked I was told there was a price increase from the 1st Jan! A price increase we got no notice of. Then after a conversation they put us back on the rate as we were long standing customers paying by DD. Sounds like a softening process to me.

12 months ago they removed a weekly lift, instead doing a fortnight lift of both bins at the same time. This would have saved them a load of money. Now they want to increase monthly charge by almost 20%. Whats going on with this crowd?

I was told there were no answers to the above posters questions which means all this is been managed. A company does not operate like this and know clearly what they intend to do in July. They are blaming the government for changing their criteria. Seems like they are supplying the 'Rubbish' with this.

Time to make some noise as this is a semi state company behaving unclear at best and people need to respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Definitely managed waste and saving them money with reduced collections. Have the cardboard, plastic and cans waste sorted. All I need to do is to find a route for 7 to 10 kg of general waste.
    I won't be staying with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will be gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

I think I will start putting rubbish into the council bins on the streets. or maybe some fly tipping at the weekends. on a serious note are there any other waste collection companies that cover navan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Scottie99

What other companies are servicing Navan/Meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭maik3n

Scottie99 wrote: »
    What other companies are servicing Navan/Meath?
    Thorntons
    http://thorntons-recycling.ie/

and Panda (ex Mahons)
    https://www.panda.ie/

Have used both over the years.
    Thorntons seem to have been the most reliable although are that bit dearer sadly.

I have one contract left with Panda (ex Mahons) now. Year 2016 service is going to cost me €312.
    I'm half thinking of jumping ship to AES, even just for the 6 months to see how she goes. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Navan/Meath seems to have got fair expensive now. Around 2009 I was paying roughly €17/18 a month, now €24/26 (can't remember exactly)......then add the weight on in July.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

maik3n wrote: »
    I have one contract left with Panda (ex Mahons) now. Year 2016 service is going to cost me €312.

Just a point on this - I'm with Mahons (or Panda now) and every year when I renew they always match the Thorntons flat rate price (€285). I know it's not much, but it's €27 in your pocket rather than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭maik3n

PauloMN wrote: »
    Just a point on this - I'm with Mahons (or Panda now) and every year when I renew they always match the Thorntons flat rate price (€285). I know it's not much, but it's €27 in your pocket rather than theirs.
    hehe, was kind of mulling over whether to try that ole cancellation trick alright but wasn't sure that it would work.
    Sure why not, I will give it at lash now. ;);)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

maik3n wrote: »
    hehe, was kind of mulling over whether to try that ole cancellation trick alright but wasn't sure that it would work.
    Sure why not, I will give it at lash now. ;);)

It does, every year I ring and pay over the phone and I have the same conversation every time. They'd much rather you pay €285 than lose you as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'll never put my cut grass into the black bin again. I'll drop it up to Mullaghboy instead, otherwise I'll be crippled with the charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Some of my neighbours use the bin bags. How much do they cost as there must be no service contract?
    I reckon apart from the recyclables I have probably 10 kg of waste a week.
    I too will look to change when these charges come in.

Neighbour of mine says they were told the plastic bags will be obsolete by July and that they have to take a bin in order to have their waste taken away. The only option is the flat service charge and a charge for each lift or take the fully service option currently €282 a year for the smallest bin. This person has a holiday home here so could be caught twice as well as having a small amount of general waste.

Anyone have a legal route for the general waste aspect as everything else can be brought to the recycling centre?

Anyone gone half and half with their neighbour on a bin?

Well, I got my compost wheelie bin today, but it is already full from one cut of the grass back and front. My general waste bin is 3/4 full and is due for collection until next week, great service, well thought out. :rolleyes:

Was told in Jan that by April the price plan would be known, now we nearly in June with no detail. Want to change supplier every year just to piss them off and get a fresh wheelie.

Well here is an update on how I am getting on or rather how it is not working for me.

The compost bin because of the grass cuttings is full after just one week. The general waste bin is full after just a week this time and I have to wait until Tuesday week for it to be emptied. With 3 bins rotating every other week it is a bloody mess. I may bite the bullet and drop the waste contract and use the recycling centre.

Just got the list of charges, my cost will go from 282 euro for the smallest bin to 340 euro based on these figures from AES Irl.

The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

· Waste bin = 25 cent per KG

· Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG

· Organic bin = 15 cent per KG

· Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

What are other providers charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Just got the list of charges, my cost will go from 282 euro for the smallest bin to 340 euro based on these figures from AES Irl.

The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

· Waste bin = 25 cent per KG

· Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG

· Organic bin = 15 cent per KG

· Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

What are other providers charging?

Christ, my last bin weighed 88kg (weight is already on my account even though i 'just' payed the 12euro charge, that would make this lift 22euro :eek::eek:

Yeah, gets even worse, I went online to view my account, last two weekly general waste lifts were between 24 and 28 kg, the latest biweekly was 30 Kg. That plus the compost bin if used for grass cuttings will push my bill north towards €500. Pay €285 at the moment.

Am closing the account next week and going to the recycle centre, pay the old lad a few euro for the general waste as this is going to blow up, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Anyone know what Panda will be charging? No details on the website

https://www.panda.ie/news/information-on-pay-by-weight.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I made an enquiry with Panda, said they don't cover my part of Navan.
    I get these riculous prices from Allied Waste who do cover my area.

Charges under the new system will be as follows...
    MONTHLY SERVICE CHARGE €12
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    Waste Bin Recycling Bin Compost Bin

29 cent per kg FREE 19 cent per kg

The weekly service charge can be paid monthly, the bins will be weighed on collection and charged at the kilogram rate above.

You will always need to have at least €30.00 credit on your account to have your bin collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Panda AES Thorntons
    Standing Charge 9.83 15.00 8.00
    Per Kilo 22.16 20.00 28.00
    Additional Lift Charge 6.40
    Total Monthly Charge 38.39 35.00 36.00

Panda got back to me.

Above table is based on 2 lifts of 40kg per month (compost bin is excluded from my calculations as it's not available in my area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Parents have not taken it well :pac: Getting the front yard paved, talking about it before to make an extra parking space. Now talking about graveling the backyard too. Do away with all grass cuttings. Dunno what they plan to do with the food waste as they're adamant not getting a "fourth f**kin bin" and the law is it can't go in the general waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

We have always just put out a bag every few weeks and brought the recycling to the centre (or given it to the in-laws who wanted to fill up their bin). No need for a green waste bin.

So our only option now is to get a bin right? Can you bring general rubbish to the recycling centre? Must start phoning around. In the countryside around Kells - not even sure what our options are. I think our bags used to be Midland Waste but not sure are they still around? Think the trucks I see around are AES...

brcwatters wrote: »
    We have always just put out a bag every few weeks and brought the recycling to the centre (or given it to the in-laws who wanted to fill up their bin). No need for a green waste bin.

So our only option now is to get a bin right? Can you bring general rubbish to the recycling centre? Must start phoning around. In the countryside around Kells - not even sure what our options are. I think our bags used to be Midland Waste but not sure are they still around? Think the trucks I see around are AES...

AES Irl took over Midland Waste. You have no option but to take a bin, my neighbours have the same issue, used the blue bags but they are no longer being sold. General waste is not accepted at recycling centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thanks - yes, think AES are our only option. :angry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Am i right in saying that there is no charge for collecting the recyclable blue bin at the moment? Was thinking about getting a second blue bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Am i right in saying that there is no charge for collecting the recyclable blue bin at the moment? Was thinking about getting a second blue bin

You are right, no charge for the blue bin. Let's hope Leo Varadkar's meeting with these companies helps curb the new pricing structures mentioned previously!!!

You are right, no charge for the blue bin. Let's hope Leo Varadkar's meeting with these companies helps curb the new pricing structures mentioned previously!!!

Its not Leo meeting with the waste companies, it is Simon Coveney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I only paid my annual charge last month lift every week etc .....does that stay on until renewal or will I be getting a letter in the post soon telling me I have to pay more per lift ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

We cancelled our contract with Oxigen. Our neighbour up the road has the Panda bins but they won't pick up our bins because our address is with Oxigen. Totally fecking ridiculous. There's no competition anywhere! I'll have to go crawling back to Oxigen.

Advertisement