Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning.

Options
  • 10-01-2016 1:13pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here using bowl coring methods to save timber.

And if so, what type are you using. Considering it myself, but seems to be an expensive initial set up.

Comments welcome

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The initial cost is very expensive. I have the base from the Oneway coring system but have yet to get the knives for it. Should be getting one soon. If you like you can use mine when I get it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

woodturner wrote: »
    The initial cost is very expensive. I have the base from the Oneway coring system but have yet to get the knives for it. Should be getting one soon. If you like you can use mine when I get it.

Thanks very much for the offer woodturner.

But I,d draw the line at borrowing other folks expensive bits of kit.
    I dont think its fair for a lot of reasons, could lead to many problems
    between friends. Thats why I,d be more inclined to have my own kit.

I,ve looked at the oneway on the net, and it seems to be a good setup.
    Where did you source yours.

I need a source too for a new scroll chuck. Interested to know what you are using out there.

I have a record RP 2000 I think from way back. But it wont fit my centauro.

kadman

What thread is your spindle?

What thread is your spindle?

Not too sure, and no word from the manufacturer.
    Kadman

Let me know what model it is and I'll ask at the Chapter.

• Advertisement

Its a Centauro TM 2000, this model here. It includes the outboard extension, that allows for
    42"+ turning.

http://www.fordaqmachinery.com/wood/products/ViewProduct/Centauro_TM_2000__532.jspa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kadman wrote: »
    But I,d draw the line at borrowing other folks expensive bits of kit.
    I dont think its fair for a lot of reasons, could lead to many problems
    between friends. Thats why I,d be more inclined to have my own kit.
    ...kadman

well said, its a pity its not more widely and clearly understood by the "asking" folk....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

well said, its a pity its not more widely and clearly understood by the "asking" folk....

I have a wide circle of woodworking friends, and i think its because i would never take advantage of them by asking for their hard earned tools.

Of course some of those enemies I have , that I thought were my friends, never , ever, ever ,ever,ever, returned my tools, books,,,,,,,

But yeah, your tools are a personal item, and deserved to be looked after by you

:)
    kadman

If you have a faceplate you might be able to determine the thread from it.

I tried to post a link to the Versachuck from The Toolpost in the UK. It comes with standard and off standard backplates and blank backplates that can be tapped to suit your lathe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

hi guy just wondering if ye guy know of any place in the southeast that sell woodturning tools.i`m looking for a faceplate but not sure how to get the right one .any advice would be appricated

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

rossit wrote: »
    hi guy just wondering if ye guy know of any place in the southeast that sell woodturning tools.i`m looking for a faceplate but not sure how to get the right one .any advice would be appricated

Ronaynes in thurles have a very good store. Carpentry store in naas have a huge amount of turning equipment. Not sure of any others.
    Done deal, adverts and turning-group-emails are a great job tho

I was hoping to buy a chuck that was a straight fit onto the existing.

Bought a pitch guage, so should be able to measure it now:)

thanks guys i measured the thread with a compass but when i got the face plate it was to small. the lathe is a old training center one no name on it just newman on the motor.im just busting to get going but ill no go without a faceplate. great thread im sure ye will be seeing me around

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Many of the lathes used in schools and other educational institutions in the 60's and 70's were English manufactured (Newman was an English motor manufacturer based in Yate near Bristol) such as the Harrison Union Graduate or Jubilee models. There's a great resource here http://www.lathes.co.uk/ all about lathes, and other machine tools, from that era, including Harrison http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/

There probably isn't anything the owner of the site doesn't know about old lathes, so maybe email him a photo and see what he says.

Many of the lathes used in schools and other educational institutions in the 60's and 70's were English manufactured (Newman was an English motor manufacturer based in Yate near Bristol) such as the Harrison Union Graduate or Jubilee models. There's a great resource here http://www.lathes.co.uk/ all about lathes, and other machine tools, from that era, including Harrison http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/

There probably isn't anything the owner of the site doesn't know about old lathes, so maybe email him a photo and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

rossit wrote: »
    thanks guys i measured the thread with a compass but when i got the face plate it was to small. the lathe is a old training center one no name on it just newman on the motor.im just busting to get going but ill no go without a faceplate. great thread im sure ye will be seeing me around

You need to find the name of the lathe and then google for the thread size. Most of the info about old lathes in now online and chances are you will be able to order a faceplate online.

hope this shed some lightlathe.jpeg

sorry its so small took me a while to figure out how to add a attachment

got sorted guys thank let the fun begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

kadman wrote: »
    Not too sure, and no word from the manufacturer.
    Kadman

what thread is your spindle,, a lad might take that the wronng way if asked LOL,, seriously though tis either metric or imperial, and will have a thread pitch, threads per inch or metric (whatever them new fangled folk use threads per kilothingy i expect but anyway).

a steel rule, and hold it against the threads parallel with the axis of the spindle, do they line up nicely in some round number or half number 7 1/2 tpi for example with inches? or indeed with mm? or cm on the metric side of the rule??
    next the diameter ,, is it a nice round number ,, in metric or imperial (careful here if measuring in thou look up your tables for thou equivalents of common fractions of an inch)
    Threads on lathe spindles come in a few common sizes.

in short

what thread is your spindle
    measure it!

imho every turner should have a little machinists Zeus book either tucked in a top pocket or popped in a dry drawer somewhere, seriously handy tables in there, a great little ready reference...

tim

Just managed to check it today, after a long break from an injury.

Thread is an M40 and with a pitch measurement of 4, using a German
    Metrish pitch guage. Fairly large thread.

Measuring the thread grooves over an inch, 6 no. Peaks counting
    the starting point, 7 no.

Is it exactly 40mm outside diameter? That's pretty close to 1.5" and 1.5" 6tpi BSW is a thread commonly found on some older English lathes like Union and Wadkin.

EDIT: just looked at your original post and see it's an Italian make, so unlikely to be an imperial thread. Can't see anything in M40 regardless of thread pitch in any of the well known chuck manufacturer's brochures.

Peter Hemsley at the Toolpost said he could machine a backplate for m40 if that's the correct size. He said the backplates are very substantial and can be machined for that size thread

Peter Hemsley at the Toolpost said he could machine a backplate for m40 if that's the correct size. He said the backplates are very substantial and can be machined for that size thread

I know i could get a backplate machined. But I was hoping to buy
    a chuck off the shelf. As i already have 2 or 3 different lathe attachments
    that came with the machine.

Yep its looking like the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

delaney001 wrote: »

M40 refers to the model number of the jaws there I think.

Here ...

http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=686

is a list of all their inserts, maximum metric size is M33.

One interesting thing though is that they also show a "BLANK" insert in the list so presumably you could get one of these and get a friendly machinist to put any suitable thread you wanted on it.

delaney001 wrote: »

No.
    M40 here refers to the jaw size.

kadman wrote:
    No. M40 here refers to the jaw size.

Peter said the Oneway Stronghold chuck comes with that thread so there is no messing about with having to machine anything. Give him a call and he'll look after you. Got a bit of stuff from him over the years.

• Advertisement

Peter said the Oneway Stronghold chuck comes with that thread so there is no messing about with having to machine anything. Give him a call and he'll look after you. Got a bit of stuff from him over the years.

Nice one, who's Peter?:)

Thanks

Advertisement