Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergus Wilson UK BTL king sells up porfolio of 900 houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The UK is going that way. Here in Germany it's the exact opposite...you can write off all manner of things that would never be allowed in the UK or Ireland (eg cost of flights once or twice a year to inspect property). Of course 100% of mortgage interest here is tax deductible. Being a landlord in Germany is treated just like any other business by the Finanzamt. Pre-letting expenses are also allowed here (within reason), something I was always baffled by in Ireland (where they are not).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

murphaph wrote: »
    The UK is going that way. Here in Germany it's the exact opposite...you can write off all manner of things that would never be allowed in the UK or Ireland (eg cost of flights once or twice a year to inspect property). Of course 100% of mortgage interest here is tax deductible. Being a landlord in Germany is treated just like any other business by the Finanzamt. Pre-letting expenses are also allowed here (within reason), something I was always baffled by in Ireland (where they are not).

I think the inspect flights are allowed as an expense if the LL lives outside of the country... but stand to be corrected on that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think the inspect flights are allowed as an expense if the LL lives outside of the country... but stand to be corrected on that

They are.
    I'm familiar with one landlord who lives in Portugal- but times all his flights home to coincide with Management Company AGMs- and if possible, a property inspection or two. He keeps records to document these. He writes the cost off against rental income in full. He has been audited (he also kept those flights for his next tax return :) )and no issues encountered with Revenue.

Advertisement