Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Virgin Media to Eir Vision

Options
  • 10-01-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My parents live in Cork and use the Virgin MMS TV service which will be shut down in April. I'm looking into possible alternatives for them. The Eir Vision essential package with a few add-ons (Sky Sports, Talk Anytime, Experience & HD) might do.

Questions for Eir - 

1. They already have an Eir landline. Will they be treated as new customers when calculating discounts, etc? The package I identified for them costs €134 per month but is quoted as discounted to €94 for 6 months - does this apply to them?
    2. If they switch to Eir Vision and Talk Anytime is there still a landline rental charge?
    3. I've confirmed their landline is suitable for fibre on your website - what is the usual lead time then from order to installation?
    3. While I realise this is an IPTV service a substantial part of the cost is 100mb broadband they won't use. Is there any way of downgrading it to reduce the cost?
    4. How do your engineers connect multi-room devices to the internet router? Is this done wirelessly or will they need to run cable or drill holes in walls? The main phone point is adjacent to one TV but the other TV is two rooms and two brick walls away. There are co-axial TV points in each room but I assume they can't be used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Newoven wrote: »
    My parents live in Cork and use the Virgin MMS TV service which will be shut down in April. I'm looking into possible alternatives for them. The Eir Vision essential package with a few add-ons (Sky Sports, Talk Anytime, Experience & HD) might do.

Questions for Eir - 

1. They already have an Eir landline. Will they be treated as new customers when calculating discounts, etc? The package I identified for them costs €134 per month but is quoted as discounted to €94 for 6 months - does this apply to them?
    2. If they switch to Eir Vision and Talk Anytime is there still a landline rental charge?
    3. I've confirmed their landline is suitable for fibre on your website - what is the usual lead time then from order to installation?
    3. While I realise this is an IPTV service a substantial part of the cost is 100mb broadband they won't use. Is there any way of downgrading it to reduce the cost?
    4. How do your engineers connect multi-room devices to the internet router? Is this done wirelessly or will they need to run cable or drill holes in walls? The main phone point is adjacent to one TV but the other TV is two rooms and two brick walls away. There are co-axial TV points in each room but I assume they can't be used?
    Hi Newoven

I'll answer your questions in order:

The package price is dependent on if they are in contract and if they have recently availed of a promotional offer within the last 12 months. If they are not currently in contract then yes the price advertised should be available although if this is online please look at the price in full at the checkout area of the final stages of the order. To see if they are free from contract please contact eir loyalty on free phone 1800303600

Yes, there still is a landline rental charge but it is usually included in the bundle cost - more specifically included in the call plan.

The usual lead-time for installation is 10 working days - however - at present there are delays due to the high volume of works required to repair damages to the network created by the storms - some installations can even take up to 4 weeks I'm afraid.

There is no lower package than up to 100Mb - only option for a lower speed is bt going with NGB but that costs the same and can't support eir vision.

Multi room devices run through home-plugs - via the power supply in the house.

Hope this helps

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

Thanks, Alan, that pretty much covers it.

Just to clarify one thing though does Eir supply the home plugs for the multi room connections or do we have to buy them?

On question I forgot to ask is as they are old age pensioners I think they get free line rental or some other benefits now. Are these benefits (sorry but I don't know the details) also offered on the Eir fibre products?

Thanks, Alan, that pretty much covers it.

Just to clarify one thing though does Eir supply the home plugs for the multi room connections or do we have to buy them?

On question I forgot to ask is as they are old age pensioners I think they get free line rental or some other benefits now. Are these benefits (sorry but I don't know the details) also offered on the Eir fibre products?
    No problem Newoven

Eir supply the home plugs for multi room connections free of charge - the installation engineer brings them with him and sets everything up for you.

Unfortunately the government ended the free line rental scheme back in 2013.

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

Thanks Alan, that all sounds very good. I'll let them know and make an order if they're agreeable.

Thanks Alan, that all sounds very good. I'll let them know and make an order if they're agreeable.
    No problem Newoven

Best of luck

Al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Dont do it

I am just after being switched over today.

I have been told that the package I bought in cruises stores limerick is actually not valid.

I have been told that I am not allowed to have a manager call me back.

Basically I have been told I need to take it up with the stores.

Advertisement