Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fool proof white rice advice please

Options
  • 10-01-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I am hosting a dinner for 8.

I have a rice cooker which is makes perfect rice for 2 but I am nervous about 8.

Any advice for fool proof rice?? Perfect non stick fluffy white rice

Is there any rice out there that has been washed and washed and has minimal starch in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What kind of rice are you using? I regularly cook either basmati or jasmine rice and use basically the same method for both - rinse in a sieve until the water running off is clear, then soak for at least 30 minutes.

Fill a great big pot with boiling water and add the drained rice. Stir a couple of times to prevent sticking and bring back to a gentle simmer. I can't give an absolute cooking time but it won't be long, not longer that 10 minutes because of the soaking. Take out a couple of grains after a few minutes and give them the old chew-test. Drain the rice when there is still a little hard bit at the centre as it will cook on a bit after draining. Jasmine takes a little longer than basmati as it is thicker and is a little more inclined to be sticky, whereas basmati is not sticky but is more delicate because it is so long and thin.

The soaking and using way way more water than the rice can absorb are the main things to watch out for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Wash rice (i usually use basmati or Thai fragrant) about 3-4 times. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
    I have been going for the ratio of 1:1.5 rice to water my whole life and turns out perfect and fluffy. I always, always hear chefs/recipes go by 1:2. I don't disregard it, but I'm sticking to my ratio. 1 cup is just enough for 2 servings. Unless you're Asian; we eat a lotta lotta rice.
    I cooked rice for 20 people just last Monday (borrowed a Buffalo commercial rice cooker from my chef friend) and 10 cups was ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks all

Will probably do basmati. And will do the washing through the sieve

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

B0jangles wrote: »
    What kind of rice are you using? I regularly cook either basmati or jasmine rice and use basically the same method for both - rinse in a sieve until the water running off is clear, then soak for at least 30 minutes.

Fill a great big pot with boiling water and add the drained rice. Stir a couple of times to prevent sticking and bring back to a gentle simmer. I can't give an absolute cooking time but it won't be long, not longer that 10 minutes because of the soaking. Take out a couple of grains after a few minutes and give them the old chew-test. Drain the rice when there is still a little hard bit at the centre as it will cook on a bit after draining. Jasmine takes a little longer than basmati as it is thicker and is a little more inclined to be sticky, whereas basmati is not sticky but is more delicate because it is so long and thin.

The soaking and using way way more water than the rice can absorb are the main things to watch out for. :)

Just to add, if you put the drained rice back into the pot, cover the pot with a clean tea towel, put the lid on, rest for ten minutes, fluff up with a fork and serve. The towel takes some more moisture out, while the rice finishes cooking. I have cooked rice for twenty years with at least as many different recipes, with varying levels of succsess and this one works EVERY TIME! Got this from the Hairy Bikers Book of curries. The beef biryani is the best I have ever has!

Advertisement