Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cost of partition wall

• 10-01-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

When my house was being built I got one large room incorporating the box room. The option is there to build a partition wall, therefore two room is this cheap and does a builder have to do it or a very good handyman? It is around 8 feet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sounds to me a studded partition would do.

If it was me and I could afford it I'd insulate it too.

It wouldn't need to be a builder but it might a slightly bigger job than the average handy man might do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you need to install or move any light switches or plug sockets then you have to get in a certified electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

If you need to install or move any light switches or plug sockets then you have to get in a certified electrician.

This... your house insurance will be null and void if you do it anyother way.

Get a small builder to do it. They will have plenty of tradesmen. If its going to be dividing up 2 rooms for sleeping most definitely get them to install soundbloc insulation in it.

your saying its 8foot long so assuming standard height ceiling, its 2.4x2.4 so 5.76m2 of partition. it will cost you around €850 to do ex vat.

If you have to install a light and a switch to the new section then your looking at around €1000 all in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've moved this thread from Limerick to here, please note the new Charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And make sure both rooms are left with a window that complies with Fire Safety Regulations (Technical Guidance Document Part B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭McSween

Many thanks. Good advice and never thought about insurance situation. The large room has two doors into it - ie if both are closed you do not know it is one big room - so windows etc are ok as are power points. If I were to sell it down the line it may be an idea to leave it as it is as many compliment its current layout but the option to make a child's room (should that happen soon) is there for us.

Advertisement