Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Erne Estate and Capt Boycott

Options
  • 10-01-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭

I get the Daily Telegraph some Saturdays to attempt their general knowledge crossword.

Yesterdays edition has an obit for Lord Erne of Fermanagh. They give some history of the man and of the family, but did not mention that that family Crichtons had "acquired" land on the shores of Lough Mask, Mayo.

They were absentee landlords of many of those outlying estates, and farmed them out to agents to manage. Some of those landlords had some regard for their tenants, but the agents/managers of outlying estates were often rapacious middlemen. They were usually more unpopular than the landlords themselves.

The agent/manager of Lough Erne's Lough Mask estates was one of the worst examples. The local Mayo people dealt with him in their own way and as advised by Parnell of the Land League in a recent speech. Nobody in the area would work for him, speak to him, nor deal with him.

Eventually that campaign led to the Land Act 1881, incorporating rights to fixity of tenure, fair rents, and free sale.

Their action also led to a new word in the English and many other languages.

The hated agent's name was Boycott

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

nuac wrote: »
    I get the Daily Telegraph some Saturdays to attempt their general knowledge crossword.

Yesterdays edition has an obit for Lord Erne of Fermanagh. They give some history of the man and of the family, but did not mention that that family Crichtons had "acquired" land on the shores of Lough Mask, Mayo.

They were absentee landlords of many of those outlying estates, and farmed them out to agents to manage. Some of those landlords had some regard for their tenants, but the agents/managers of outlying estates were often rapacious middlemen. They were usually more unpopular than the landlords themselves.

The agent/manager of Lough Erne's Lough Mask estates was one of the worst examples. The local Mayo people dealt with him in their own way and as advised by Parnell of the Land League in a recent speech. Nobody in the area would work for him, speak to him, nor deal with him.

Eventually that campaign led to the Land Act 1881, incorporating rights to fixity of tenure, fair rents, and free sale.

Their action also led to a new word in the English and many other languages.

The hated agent's name was Boycott
    Good for you getting to kknow your history, Yep here is a bit more on it but books on Micheal Davitt and Charles Steward Parnell will give you more on it.
    The land league-home rule-independence is the usual Irish time line history taught, to the best of my memory.

I always found the tactic of Irish mp's obstruction in the house of lords a brilliant bloody plan :)

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/How-the-Irish-invented-the-Boycott-after-tenants-were-thrown-off-their-land.html?section=1909861

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

voz es wrote: »
    Good for you getting to kknow your history, Yep here is a bit more on it but books on Micheal Davitt and Charles Steward Parnell will give you more on it.
    The land league-home rule-independence is the usual Irish time line history taught, to the best of my memory.

I always found the tactic of Irish mp's obstruction in the house of lords a brilliant bloody plan :)

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/How-the-Irish-invented-the-Boycott-after-tenants-were-thrown-off-their-land.html?section=1909861

Thanks for that reference

Have always been interested in the Boycott story as one of my grandfathers was from that area

While 1916 has eclipsed the Land League story, I think the LL was very important. E.g. when the volunteers were organising, going on route marches etc, the local RIC tagged along taking names and reporting events.

In Mayo many of those involved were farmers, former tenants of the local landlords. By that stage many of them were freehold owners, or at least had the protection of the three Fs. If they were still shortterm tenants an adverse report to the Landlord could have cost them their farm and livlihood.

Properties rented from local landlords in towns usually did not have the 1881 Axt protection. I know of at least one case where the local landlord increased the rent on a business premises that hosted a Land League meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

nuac wrote: »
    Thanks for that reference

Have always been interested in the Boycott story as one of my grandfathers was from that area

While 1916 has eclipsed the Land League story, I think the LL was very important. E.g. when the volunteers were organising, going on route marches etc, the local RIC tagged along taking names and reporting events.

In Mayo many of those involved were farmers, former tenants of the local landlords. By that stage many of them were freehold owners, or at least had the protection of the three Fs. If they were still shortterm tenants an adverse report to the Landlord could have cost them their farm and livlihood.

Properties rented from local landlords in towns usually did not have the 1881 Axt protection. I know of at least one case where the local landlord increased the rent on a business premises that hosted a Land League meeting

Yep there is a lot of history there it would be nice to see a large museum in Mayo that would cater for it. The one in strade if funded better could be a must on a tourists journey if enhanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Very interesting reminder of a key time in our nationhood's birth.

The 3 F's - what a throw back - fair rent, fixity of tenure and free sale. The recent residential tenancies amendment act shows how far we have come and that rights to a home and rent is still an issue.

Unfortunately this part of Irish history is taking a back seat to the current 1916 revisionism.

Perhaps a timely thread on Mayo in 1916 and its role if any in the insurrection may present a more interesting/local picture.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement