Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade/ New build. Help.

Options
  • 10-01-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I'm looking for a motherboard and a case. I want a decent case with room to upgrade in future (max dimensions = h x w x d = 50 x 25 x 40). Was mostly looking at mother boards like the Asus TUF Z97 Gryphon Armor Edition or Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S.

Thanks.

1. What is your budget? [€320]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming and watching movies]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Yes, sound card, graphics card, power supply, ram, HDD and processor]

Operating system - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Motherboard - Foxconn 2ADA (socket 0)
    CPU - Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
    RAM - 16GB DDR3
    Sound card - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo PCI express 7.1
    Graphics card - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
    Power supply - 300 watt
    (this is my current graphics card and power supply but my friend is giving me a better ones soon, 500watt power supply and unsure of graphics card model, apologies)

5. Do you need a monitor? [NO]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [hp pavilion 23xI - 1920 x 1080] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Within next month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You are not going to see much if any improvement given your uses going from ivy bridge to haswell. Unless there is some feature that you really need on the new motherboards it would be a waste of money.

I would just focus on the power supply and graphics card (and case if you really need to replace it)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gavo7D

Is Ivy bridge and haswell not to do with the processors and not the motherboard? The motherboards I quoted above were only examples of potential motherboards I have been looking at.
    I have edited my post to now include the current motherboard I have installed. I am new to this as you can probably tell apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, yes they are to do with the CPUs, but you can't put a Core i7 3770 into a Z97 board. They only fit Z77 boards, which would be pointless, because you own one already.
    As far as cases go, these are some of the best in my humble opinion;
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX: €170
    NZXT H440 V2 (or Noctis 450): €135
    Fractal Design Define R5: €120
    NZXT S340: €80

I don't know their measurements, but they have them on their websites (usually in mm)

So the only thing really holding me back from playing current games is my graphics card? Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That graphics card isn't even a gaming card, it's designed for movie playback.

At present, you cannot play any new games whatsoever; if you get a E350 R9 390 or GTX970, you'll be able to play everything at ultra.

• Advertisement

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Well, yes they are to do with the CPUs, but you can't put a Core i7 3770 into a Z97 board. They only fit Z77 boards, which would be pointless, because you own one already.
    As far as cases go, these are some of the best in my humble opinion;
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX: €170
    NZXT H440 V2 (or Noctis 450): €135
    Fractal Design Define R5: €120
    NZXT S340: €80

I don't know their measurements, but they have them on their websites (usually in mm)

Where abouts did you get the price quote from for the NZXT S340 @ €80? Think this would suitexpect perfect. Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I would get this.

Fractal R4 on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Whats wrong with your current case if you dont mind my asking?

Or do you just not have a case?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I would get this.

[Fractal Design R4

The depth (front plate to back)on that is just a little too much it would be putting a lot of strain on the neck of the cables connecting in.

Gavo7D wrote: »
    The depth (front plate to back)on that is just a little too much it would be putting a lot of strain on the neck of the cables connecting in.

Not sure I understand that

• Advertisement

tazzzZ wrote: »
    Whats wrong with your current case if you dont mind my asking?

Or do you just not have a case?

I have a case but it's a standard hp p6 2494ea case and I've discovered that the power source can not be removed as there are parts riveted in to stop you removing it.

Not sure I understand that
    i am slightly limited with space as my current tower is it the corner backed on th a way and there is a window sill protruding out of the wall in front of i. The distance between the sill and the wall is 54cm or 21.25". So the above case you have recommended would only leave me with about 0.5" between that case and the wall to plug in the cables (hdmi, power etc.). So it would put strain on the neck of the connections possibly causing damage in the future. Thank you though for the recommendation of case.

ah ok. But if you plan to use the case in the future you'll need to allow for the more modern GPUs that are long and need deep cases.

ah ok. But if you plan to use the case in the future you'll need to allow for the more modern GPUs that are long and need deep cases.

I was talking to my mate today about the graphics card he has for me and it's either a nvidia 680 or 720 I think he said. He was not too sure at the time. So it's only just to start me off and get me up and running. I'm totally new to all this so apologise in advanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX680 is an OK card but older now, but would still run all the latest games pretty well at high settings - wouldn't pay more than about 150 for a 2nd hand one now though.

GT720 is probably wrong as not a hope that would play new games. The minimum to be able to play games realistically is a GTX750 2GB. Anything lower and you'd be forced to play at low resolutions and settings.

Your current case is only really suitable for smaller cards, but you could fit certain models of the GTX960 in there so it's not a bad idea really to stay using it for now if you want.

You would probably need a new power supply though.... your current one is riveted to the case? That would be highly unusual.

The GTX680 is an OK card but older now, but would still run all the latest games pretty well at high settings - wouldn't pay more than about 150 for a 2nd hand one now though.

GT720 is probably wrong as not a hope that would play new games. The minimum to be able to play games realistically is a GTX750 2GB. Anything lower and you'd be forced to play at low resolutions and settings.

Your current case is only really suitable for smaller cards, but you could fit certain models of the GTX960 in there so it's not a bad idea really to stay using it for now if you want.

You would probably need a new power supply though.... your current one is riveted to the case? That would be highly unusual.

Yeah I'm not sure of the 7series correct number he gave me but he wasn't 100% sure what one it was. No it's not riveted in its only the 4 screws at the back but there is like a small lip riveted in the corner. So when I extract the 4screws the power supply will slide back about 1cm but it won't move down so I can't actually get it out because the small lip is stopping it lifting straight out.

Best price I can get on a NZXT Source 340 Midi-Tower Case - Red And a Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply is of computer universe and it's working out at a total of €167. It takes 4 weeks MAYBE to get here they said when I rang. Does anyone think this is a good price, or have many bought from computer universe before, or does anyone recommend anywhere else that could be here sooner for in and around the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

That's about €90 for the case (still good value as the MSRP is $79, and we never see that, however, you're now enetering the zone where cases like the Define R5 exist and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro stomp around) and about €75 for the PSU, which is.....meh. It's not great value and I'd most likely shop elsewhere as the PSU is really only worth about €60-€65.

Yeah, the delivery on the 2 of them in the order was only €12 where as everywhere else is looking for nearly the price of the case it's self. So I don't really mind the PSU being a little over priced. I had a look at the other 2 cases and they are just a fraction too big for the area I have. But you were bang on with your suggestions of good cases to look at thanks very much.

Advertisement