Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management job experience vs. qualifications

Options
  • 10-01-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 21 and for the last four years I have been working full time as a sales assistant. I love my job in retail and want to move up the career ladder. My next step is to get a job as a trainee manager/supervisor.
    I done my leaving cert but never done a 4 years bachelors degree, all I have is a Level 6 FETAC course in Business Management with distinction from Colaiste Dhulaigh.

When looking at trainee management jobs most say "management/supervisory exp ESSENTIAL". When i see the work ESSENTIAL I refrain from applying as I don't have any management experience. Do you think I should still apply and is it the experience you have or is the the qualifications you have that will love you in the right direction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Hi, I'm 21 and for the last four years I have been working full time as a sales assistant. I love my job in retail and want to move up the career ladder. My next step is to get a job as a trainee manager/supervisor.
    I done my leaving cert but never done a 4 years bachelors degree, all I have is a Level 6 FETAC course in Business Management with distinction from Colaiste Dhulaigh.

When looking at trainee management jobs most say "management/supervisory exp ESSENTIAL". When i see the work ESSENTIAL I refrain from applying as I don't have any management experience. Do you think I should still apply and is it the experience you have or is the the qualifications you have that will love you in the right direction?

If you've had to show a new employee the ropes maybe you could talk that up as being supervisory experience for a start. I'd say work experience is more important than the qualifications but somebody working in retail may be better placed to answer. Maybe you could do a qualification part time or by distance learning online.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I would recommend that you get a cv together that includes the sort of things that newcar has referred to, have a good think about responsibilites that you may have but don't recognise as such. Then, make an appointment with one of the good recruitment agencies that deal with the type of retail sector you want to advance in and ask them what else you need in order to be seriously considered. They are the ones that see the cv's on a daily basis and for the big retailers, they are the ones who will decide if your application gets submitted or not.

Advertisement