Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to play audio through TV speakers via HDMI

Options
  • 10-01-2016 6:49pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, hoping I can get some help here.

Basically when I hook my laptop up to my TV with a HDMI cable I get picture but no sound. I have made sure "Digital Audio (HDMI)" is the default playback device when using HDMI (this seems to be the most common problem from googling it). If I try to play audio, say a .mp3 file or a youtube video the file just does not start, as opposed to playing but not being audible. As soon as I unplug the HDMI or switch to speakers as the playback device the file will start. I guessed it might be a driver issue but it says they're up to date and reinstalling "realtek HD audio manager" (default on my laptop) does not help.

Don't think it's a cable/TV issue as it works fine with my PS3 and switching cables does not help.

Laptop is a Samsung running windows 8.1

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sound over HDMI will be part of the graphics driver package, not the realtek (that powers your integrated speakers).

If it refuses to play that sounds like the HDMI audio device isnt working at all.

Connect HDMI
    Go to Device Manager
    - Audio Inputs and Outputs (W10, should be the same in 8.1)
    - Find the monitor audio, should be "MODEL (Intel Display Audio" or Intel may nVidia or AMD, verbiage might vary slightly
    - Uninstall that device, then reboot.

This should cause windows to re-install the driver package itself, often resolve it. If not, grab the latest GRAPHICs driver from the samsung site using your model number, install and reboot then try again.

What are the graphics? Nvidia?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ED E wrote: »
    Connect HDMI
    Go to Device Manager
    - Audio Inputs and Outputs (W10, should be the same in 8.1)
    - Find the monitor audio, should be "MODEL (Intel Display Audio" or Intel may nVidia or AMD, verbiage might vary slightly
    - Uninstall that device, then reboot.

Thanks for your response!

When I look here I don't see anything relating to monitor/display audio, I've attached a screenshot here

What are the graphics? Nvidia?

Graphics card is "Intel HD Graphics 3000"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the topmost one pictured. Following the steps above may resolve.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Uninstalling that and rebooting didn't help but reinstalling the Intel Graphics drivers did the trick :) I think I was missing the "Intel Display Audio" driver which comes as part of it, as it wasn't showing up before on my device manager and is now.

Thanks for the help, never would have thought to check the graphics drivers :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement