Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy cornmeal?

Options
  • 10-01-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I've looked in supermarkets and can't find any.

Anyone any idea where to get it?

I just want it to help my pizza not stick to the new pizza stone I got.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Polenta or semolina will do the trick. That's what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

Shops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Where do you get those?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

Where do you get those?

Shops

.45auto wrote: »
    Shops

God you're such a help. Does it make you feel good knowing that you have so little to do with your life other than attempt to troll a simple question.

Now off back to your bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

.45auto wrote: »
    Shops

Don't post on this thread again unless you have an actual useful contribution to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Murphybass - semolina will be with the baking ingredients in supermarkets. Where all ground almonds etc. live

.45auto is taking a break as I can't deal with his hilarity any longer, pains in side from laughing etc.

Murphybass - semolina will be with the baking ingredients in supermarkets. Where all ground almonds etc. live

Thank you. I'm very new to baking so my apologies for the simple question.

Not at all! That's what we're here for :) Hope the pizza is fab

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is cornmeal not cornflour?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is cornmeal not cornflour?

Is cornflour not a finer grind than cornmeal?

I think they're all from the same grain but when people are looking for cornmeal they are generally after semolina/polenta/maize flour

main-qimg-a0576fd45e136e4225f13e14cb069333?convert_to_webp=true

and cornflour is this corn starch, much finer, used as a thickening agent a lot of the time

corn-flour-250x250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Is cornflour not a finer grind than cornmeal?

Cornmeal is yellow and grainy. Cornflour is much finer and powdery. Cornmeal is great to use when making bread and pizza dough - it gives the crust a nice texture and stops it sticking to the counter. Makes nice cornbread and tomalitos too!
    I buy mine in Tesco - it comes in a blue and white bag (can't remember the brand name right now). I get it on the aisle that has the Mexican food.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Interesting didn't know that, thanks
    I used substitute cornflour for cornmeal in bread recipes put of ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Where do you get those?

Dunnes or Tesco. You find semolina where the pudding rice is, at least that's where it is in my local Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I read of people using rice flour to stop the pizza sticking. But I reckon it should be coarse rice flour, you can make this by just sticking regular uncooked rice in a blender. Most people would have rice and you may not want yet another bag in the press of something you need only a tiny bit of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Make sure it's a medium to coarse ground cornmeal/polenta. I have a fine ground cornmeal (not cornflour which is corn starch), which is no use for sliding a pizza on but makes an excellent addition to pancakes and waffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Supervalu sell Polenta, if you are near one. It's near the Pastas, the 'fancy' ones:-). I use a sprinkling of Polenta on my par-boiled spuds for roast potatoes, adds a nice texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was saying to blend rice, but this shows them blending regular unpopped corn to make cornmeal. Probably needs to be a decent blender though.

"blender babes", seen it all now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Polish shops sell coarse ground cornmeal very cheap. It's what I always use for polenta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Polenta is cornmeal.

You'll find cornmeal easily but it will be called polenta or maize meal.

You'll find coarse ground most easily (default polenta) but medium or fine is probably what you're looking for.

Most health-food shops will have a selection but it should also be in the overpriced-"natural"-ingredients section of supermarkets. Asian stores are also worth a look.

Cornflour is the separated starch of maize and very different (even if it dioes originate from the same place)

Semolina works too, but just doesn't have the same flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Indian or Asian stores often have big bags of yellow corn meal, that's where I get mine

Advertisement