Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 seater or 3 seats in back of insignia

Options
  • 10-01-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi. Third baby on route and we have a 2yr old and a 4 1/2 yr old. We will be putting the older one into a backed booster seat and the 2yr old in a child seat. The baby seat is going to push things a bit. I would rather change all 3 seats to slimmer versions if I could but have not tried yet. We had a booster in the middle to try but the seatbelt was hard to get in "more impossible".
    Changing the car is not the end of the world but I like my saloons or hatches. Not a fan of 7 seaters but at this stage who knows. Has anyone here 3 seats in a Audi toyota opel kuga ix35 or vitara or similar.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The IX35 is pretty tiny when it comes to car seats.
    You will most probably need to upgrade to a 5(https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/cars-with-individual-rear-seats-0014) or a 7 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

When we were buying our car seat in Toymaster the sales assistant told us that you are "allowed" to have a child in the front seat of the car once they are in a proper age appropriate car seat.
    She looked into it when her third child came along. The oldest was put in the front seat. She told us honestly that she couldn't afford to change the car.
    Not everyone would feel comfortable doing this though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if the seat is rear facing then the air bag has to be off.

If I have extra kids then my 6 year old sits in the front in her car seat.Not many adults would fit between the 2 baby seats in the back for family outings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

It's a far from an ideal set up but good to know that the option is there for people who are stuck with a smaller car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The IX35 is pretty tiny when it comes to car seats.
    You will most probably need to upgrade to a 5(https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/cars-with-individual-rear-seats-0014) or a 7 seater.

Have been vaguely trying to find out if an ix35 would fit 5 seats. Is the ix35 not the fairly big Hyundai? Would it definitely not fit 3 seats (even high back boosters) in the back?

• Advertisement

My mother has one and there is no way we could get 3 high back boosters in the back. We get 2 in no bother. It has a big boot but i wouldn't call it a big car but then she had a Santa Fé before that which was huge but still could not fit 3 car seats in the back.
    If you got very narrow booster seats they might or had a child on a booster cushion but it would be very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

satstheway wrote: »
    Hi. Third baby on route and we have a 2yr old and a 4 1/2 yr old.

Congratulations!

My kids ages are spread pretty much exactly like yours and I've always stuck to saloon / hatchback cars. The trick is that you need a big one. D-segment cars (Toyota Avensis, Opel Insignia, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Renault Laguna, etc.) are invariably too small for 3 seats

Try a car a size up (Mercedes E-class, BMW 5-series, Audi A6 etc.), it did us fine over the years. And of course fit in your seats before you agree to buy the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Recently saw a "multimac" online. They are expensive but might be cheaper than buying a new car :)

My neighbours have a bmw 520d and can't fit 3 child seats in back. They had a vw golf too and said golf was actually better for fitting in seats. They could fit in 3 but not any baby ones.
    They ended up selling golf and buying a peugot 5008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

satstheway wrote: »
    Hi. Third baby on route and we have a 2yr old and a 4 1/2 yr old. We will be putting the older one into a backed booster seat and the 2yr old in a child seat. The baby seat is going to push things a bit. I would rather change all 3 seats to slimmer versions if I could but have not tried yet. We had a booster in the middle to try but the seatbelt was hard to get in "more impossible".
    Changing the car is not the end of the world but I like my saloons or hatches. Not a fan of 7 seaters but at this stage who knows. Has anyone here 3 seats in a Audi toyota opel kuga ix35 or vitara or similar.

http://multimac.co.uk/home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

We've an A4 and can't fit three seats in the back. I think the issue is with newer cars the rear seat is now moulded for individual persons. A friend recently got an old Peugot 206 and there's a better chance of fitting three seats in the back of that cos the seat is one flat surface.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I can fit three boosters in the back of my Kia Ceed, but only at a push and some awkward manoeuvring. This occurs on a rare occasion and if I have a fourth, we'll use the front seat on even rarer occasions.

I think if you are going to have three child seats for a number of years, a 7 seater would be the best option. You can get bigger saloons, but don't think you'll find many that can fit three and have easy access to the belt buckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

3 seats in an insignia is a no go. We have a seven seater too (c4 picasso) and the seats are individual and, flat so take child seats pretty well. Even then if you want all 3 seats in a line it's hard, but possible. 7 seater is great though for options, can easily move one seat to the back row.

Advertisement