Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats what on a Consumer unit with 3 Phase

Options
  • 10-01-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

Pic attached not the best quality, there is a 3 phase water heater in this Spanish apartment which has developed a leak. My other half is down there with the owner and they don't know which of the top row "breakers" to turn off to isolate the heater.
    There is no light on the heater to say whats what and it has stopped working anyway, water supply to it is off.

the codes are
    left hand side [ quad] MC 440A C40
    RHS [triple] MC 332A C32

I know the one in the middle will shut off the lot but them
    skulling wine in the dark not quite the plan:D

Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

they don't know which of the top row "breakers" to turn off to isolate the heater.

Impossible to know for certain from just looking at a picture.

There is no light on the heater to say whats what and it has stopped working anyway, water supply to it is off.

So you need a suitable test instrument and someone that knows how to use it.

left hand side [ quad] MC 440A C40
    Most likely the main isolating MCB for the entire board (including the heater).
    This is a 4 pole (3 phase + N) MCB.
    RHS [triple] MC 332A C32
    This is a 3 phase MCB. Most likely the MCB for the heater.
    I were a betting man my money would be on this one (to isolate the water heater only).
    I know the one in the middle will shut off the lot but them
    skulling wine in the dark not quite the plan:D
    Most likely a 3 phase RCD for all circuits fed form this board (from reading your post above).

Note: I have only guessed! Treat everything as live unless you can prove otherwise. This is a lethal voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Feed back appreciated and warning understood
    snap of full unit attached
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to add:
      The water heater could be fed from a separate board.
        Continental wiring can be dodgey at the best of times. God only knows what they have done! They have been known to have an aversion to things like earthing, sizing cables properly etc.... (not that are perfect in Ireland either) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for insights last night, inners of unit attached just for info

Spares may be available as its a West German product, their service is top class, as for the local Spanish agents, well guess:D

Advertisement