Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub let rights.

Options
  • 10-01-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys i am wondering a few things here. I sub let the room with permission from my landlord in my apartment.

after him liveing her for the past 8 days its really not working out at all.

HE has broke nearly all the glasses in the apartment, A heather has fell off the wall when he was in a room and says he didnt do it. I was in work at the time so i told him to fix it otherwise i am charging you to fix it. Has made up 100 + reasons not to do it.

He wont stop moaning to me about everything in the place. He is telling me his brand new mattress is making him sick and wont's a new one. The heating isnt working when it is. There is no hot water all the time when i tell him turn on the switch on the wall. the cooker isnt to his standards as it takes to long to heat up. That he does not get WIFI in his bedroom. He is smoking weed in the apartment and in my lease from the landlord it says no smoking.

There last night i was drinking before going out he was making fake coffin sounds all around the house. He only does this when he knows i am there. HE says he is dying sick but one min his fine and the next he is the boy who cried wolf.

He keeps on making skype calls in the sitting room when i am trying to watch TV. I have told him about this go into your bedroom for a phone call anything else i don't care but when i am in the sitting room watching TV dont be rude.

Yesterday i set down with him and told him i dont give a crap about everything you said is not working what really is as if i call the landlord over every last time they would tell me to f off and there is noting wrong. Then when i was out last night he started to message me moaning about his mother back home having only one arm, one eye and the bank took the house. This was at like 1am last night. I don't care ?. I told him that. As he is always asking me for advice on stuff and i told him i don't care.

He also would not stop calling me when i was in the office yesterday and i told him i was working and my boss was beside me and she could not believe that he called me 5 times and txt another 4. In the space of a hour. IT was over the heather falling off the wall.

So guys how do i get him out of the place ?. Can i just change the locks and fu.ck him out ?. I have gave him 2 or 3 warnings now to basically shut up and the door is there. How do i get rid ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Is this a different one to the person you had before christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi guys i am wondering a few things here. I sub let the room with permission from my landlord in my apartment.
    24 hours notice, preferably when you're there so he can't do any more damage.
    HE has broke nearly all the glasses in the apartment, A heather has fell off the wall when he was in a room and says he didnt do it.
    Has made up 100 + reasons not to do it.
    Get a licensed plumber in to fix it (if it's a water heater), or an electrican, and take the damage out of his deposit. If you didn't take a deposit, more fool you, and get it done or the landlord will take it out of your deposit.
    He also would not stop calling me when i was in the office yesterday and i told him i was working and my boss was beside me and she could not believe that he called me 5 times and txt another 4. In the space of a hour. IT was over the heather falling off the wall.
    Ensure you get work references from whomever you replace him with, just to ensure they can pay the rent.
    He is smoking weed in the apartment and in my lease from the landlord it says no smoking.
    Tell him the neighbours/landlord smelt the weed, and the landlord wants him out or the Gardai get involved.

=-=

He sounds like a tool, so just get rid of him. In this scenario, you are the landlord, he is a licensee, and he has no rights.

I'd advise you to have the locks changed the moment he leaves, or he'll be able to get in when you're at work to wreck the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I agree, threatening him with the police over the weed is the best option. Anything else he will just come up with an excuse for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Theproblemlad

He keeps on asking me things that he can change and so on. I basically don't wont to speak to him anymore and is grunting at him with yes/no.

Perfect with the 24 hours note. I have his deposit but i will remove what bills are owed, the cost of fixing the heather from it.

I did get work refs before he moved in and i picked him as he had the money to pay the rent on paper and is earning quite a lot more then me. But i just don't think he gets things at all.

Perfect with the weed when will come back from work tomorrow i will tell him that i got a call from the landlord about the smell of weed in the place and tell him that she is not happy with you at all and kind of wont's you gone. Like i came in to the sitting room there today to do my ironing and to find him and his friend baked on the sofas.

Thats what i already have planed i am going to pick up a new lock during lunch tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Maybe it's cultural differences but the bottom line is his behaviour is unacceptable. I would be inclined to give him notice relative to his rental period asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Perfect with the weed when will come back from work tomorrow i will tell him that i got a call from the landlord about the smell of weed in the place and tell him that she is not happy with you at all and kind of wont's you gone. Like i came in to the sitting room there today to do my ironing and to find him and his friend baked on the sofas.

I don't think you should be lying to him about getting a phonecall off the landlord about the weed.

Just tell him you're not comfortable with it and that it's not working out and he has to leave.

Ended up being very busy in work since the last post so i had no time to speak to him about anything.

But he asked me again am i a homosexal and why am i stressed out ?.

But today is the day i am telling him to leave, 4 days later the heater is still on the ground and i am going to get someone to fix it for the weekend now as it cant be sitting there.

I woke up this morring got my breckfest went into the sitting to eat it at the table and what do i find on the table ?. His **** stain boxers in the middle of the f ing table. Now how the hell do they end up there ?.

So when he comes home from work i am going to tell him its not working out and to find somewhere else to live. How many days note to i have to give him ?. Or can i just f him out ?.

Anyway updated here spoke to him about everything he lied about the boxers on the table as he removed them and said there was notting there.

Just said everything about the heather and the fact he is just a lazy person as you have had 4 days to fix it.

Called him out over everything and the fact you just dont see whats wrong here that's the funny thing as this is my home i expect someone to give it respect

HE then said do you wont me to go and i went yes i do and i am giving you to Thursday to go as i am not a bad person who is only going to kick you out on the spot as i am well within my rights to as your landlord.

And i told him i will be getting a cleaner in to clean your room, someone to fix the heather, taking money out as well form your deposit for bills how much should i take for this ?. 20 for water, 23 for UPC, 100 for gas and heating ?. and you will have to wait a few days to get it back as well.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyway updated here spoke to him about everything he lied about the boxers on the table as he removed them and said there was notting there.

Just said everything about the heather and the fact he is just a lazy person as you have had 4 days to fix it.

Called him out over everything and the fact you just dont see whats wrong here that's the funny thing as this is my home i expect someone to give it respect

HE then said do you wont me to go and i went yes i do and i am giving you to Thursday to go as i am not a bad person who is only going to kick you out on the spot as i am well within my rights to as your landlord.

And i told him i will be getting a cleaner in to clean your room, someone to fix the heather, taking money out as well form your deposit for bills how much should i take for this ?. 20 for water, 23 for UPC, 100 for gas and heating ?. and you will have to wait a few days to get it back as well.

Good on you. I'd of waited until the weekend myself (ensuring im around during the days of notice he's been given) in case he does something stupid. Hope thats the end of it for ya.

Good on you. I'd of waited until the weekend myself (ensuring im around during the days of notice he's been given) in case he does something stupid. Hope thats the end of it for ya.

Ya that's what i am afard of i just said anything that gos missing i will be going to the garda as i know where you work and no one else has keys to the place.

He all ready started at me over money saying he wont pay rent or the bills form the day he moved in on the 22nd last month as he wasint here. I said did you have the keys ?. HE said ya. There you go you pay for it then as i was away for Xmess i would look sweet calling ESB and UPC saying sorry lads i was on holidays wont pay the bills.

Trying to find a handy man is going to be the hardiest as i cant be telling the landlord about the damgie that he has done to the place.

I told him he has to 6pm friday to get out. And he made up reasons that he is working i said i ran out of work and got a taxi to view places to find somewhere to live get up off your ass i told him and be here when i say. As this is why i am kicking you out exuress after exuress from you.

• Advertisement

Ya that's what i am afard of i just said anything that gos missing i will be going to the garda as i know where you work and no one else has keys to the place.

He all ready started at me over money saying he wont pay rent or the bills form the day he moved in on the 22nd last month as he wasint here. I said did you have the keys ?. HE said ya. There you go you pay for it then as i was away for Xmess i would look sweet calling ESB and UPC saying sorry lads i was on holidays wont pay the bills.

Trying to find a handy man is going to be the hardiest as i cant be telling the landlord about the damgie that he has done to the place.

I told him he has to 6pm friday to get out. And he made up reasons that he is working i said i ran out of work and got a taxi to view places to find somewhere to live get up off your ass i told him and be here when i say. As this is why i am kicking you out exuress after exuress from you.

You sure he's not hinting at you that he wants to be kicked out tomorrow? IMO, while perhaps harsh from his point of view, you're being too soft.
    If I was in your situation, I'd not discuss it with him anymore, and if he brings it up just reiterate that he's to be out by Friday at 6pm. Come Friday have someone (or yourself) change the locks whether he's still there or not.

Bills seem excessive. Water works out at 6.67 per person per month for a two bed unit claiming the 100 euro grant. Your gas and electricity sounds like it's at least double what it should be for three weeks. Just because he's not the ideal lodger does not mean you can screw him over.

Wonted to say thanks for all the help and advice from everyone here about how to get rid of him.

With the bills i dont get the water grant at all so its i think 260 or so for the year so about 12 euros i think is fair for the month. Then the bins there 250 a year so 12 euros for that is fair for that as well. ESB and GAS i have no idea about yet as i have no past bill to judge by and the 100 euros is a holding charge as i am guessing it more or less. Then the wall i dont know how much its going to cost to fix as i have been in touch with handy men and none of them seem to wont to fix it. Then cleaning fee for buying cleaning prodects to clean his room i will be takeing that out as well so like 6 euros there as i dont wont him to clean his room as he has not cleaned once since he was here so i told him he be wasting his time. I not trying to screw him over at all i just wont him to pay his fair share of the bills from the deposit otherwise i am going to be landed with bills i don't have the money to pay for.

He is starting to pack up now i think as there is none stop banging and i hear zips so maybe he be gone tonight. Only problem is i dont have a lock yet to change the lock in the door so i will have to take a lock from another room.

I also told him if anything is missing it will be going out of his deposit and the fact i know where he works i will be reporting him to the garda over it as well. As i don't trust the guy at all.

Since the post 10 mins ago he is now saying he is going in the next 10 mins to me and refused to hand back the keys to me ....... as he wonts his deposit back i said no you give me the keys and i will have the money for you on monday once i get all the bills shorted and copys of them all for you to the best i can. I told him you know where i work and you know where i live so i am not trying to screw you out of money i will only take what i am owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

you will have to change the locks anyway so dont bother with the key.

Tbh I think you're taking the p!ss now deducting cleaning products from his deposit. It's not like you wouldn't have to buy them yourself anyway.

Taboola wrote: »
    Tbh I think you're taking the p!ss now deducting cleaning products from his deposit. It's not like you wouldn't have to buy them yourself anyway.

Well then my old landlord before took 90 euros + VAT out of my deposit for for cleaning the apartment ..... when it was glaring with cleanness .......

But i am looking at lest 200 euros to get the heather back on the wall as 1/2 the wall is missing and i need to get a wall put back there .....

Well then my old landlord before took 90 euros + VAT out of my deposit for for cleaning the apartment ..... when it was glaring with cleanness .......

But i am looking at lest 200 euros to get the heather back on the wall as 1/2 the wall is missing and i need to get a wall put back there .....

I remember that post. It wasn't glaring with cleanness and that was a professional clean. If you're planning on getting a professional cleaner in to clean his room that's different.

You were entitled to the water grant, how is it this guy's fault you didn't get it? Again I say that your gas and electricity figure is seriously excessive.

OP your focus since your very first post about this guy has been about money. People are being much gentler on you as a rent a room house sharer than they would have been if you were a landlord renting the place out.

Hope this situation resolves itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Then cleaning fee for buying cleaning prodects to clean his room i will be takeing that out as well
    Pretty sure it's not allowed to charge for your own time.

As said, ask the landlord for his handymans number. If he asks, say that the rad was ripped off the wall Monday, and he's now gone. Ensure you air the place out before said handyman comes, as I'd say the handyman would report back a few things.

Otherwise, someone half fixes it, and you get stung when you leave with the landlord having to fix it properly.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Let him have the keys and just deduct change of locks from his deposit?

You'd probably want to do that anyway!

Tbh, it seems like your plucking figures out of thin air. Just ask your LL for his handyman and do it through him, tell him your covering the charges and that it was an accident. At least then you'll probably get a better rate. Invoice the guy with exact costs and say your deducting it from his deposit. Give what's left back.

Also 100euro for 3 weeks worth of electricity and gas?!

Locks are changed anyway i done that about a hour ago. I took the lock out of my bedroom and put it into the door only thing i need to get is a lock for his old room as there is none in it.

Going to call the landlord for a handy man tomorrow and see from there.
    I remember that post. It wasn't glaring with cleanness and that was a professional clean. If you're planning on getting a professional cleaner in to clean his room that's different.

I will get a professional cleaner in to clean his room before someone moves in as i think there only about 20 euros a hour.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    You were entitled to the water grant, how is it this guy's fault you didn't get it? Again I say that your gas and electricity figure is seriously excessive.

OP your focus since your very first post about this guy has been about money. People are being much gentler on you as a rent a room house sharer than they would have been if you were a landlord renting the place out.

Hope this situation resolves itself.

How do i claim for a water grant then ?. AS i have been living her for the past month and had no idea i could claim it ?. I am just jodgeing the ESB on my old apartment where the bills where around 250 to 300 every 2 months as only ESB. We had the heaters on very little. But this guy was leaving the full house on 24/7 this has a mix of both ESB and GAS and never had gas before so no idea what to expat.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not allowed to charge for your own time.

As said, ask the landlord for his handymans number. If he asks, say that the rad was ripped off the wall Monday, and he's now gone. Ensure you air the place out before said handyman comes, as I'd say the handyman would report back a few things.

Otherwise, someone half fixes it, and you get stung when you leave with the landlord having to fix it properly.

Ya the air will be done tomorrow while i am in work as i have the flu and trying to keep the place warm and will leave the windows open to get the smell of weed out of his bedroom as its quite strong.

thanks again for the help

Mr.S wrote: »
    Wait, I might have read that wrong - you put a standard bedroom door lock on your main apartment door?!

Also you need to inform your landlord if you've changed the main door lock so they have access.

Yap its same lock on both doors as there is main door to go into 1st.

Will be telling the landlord 1st thing tomorrow as i am going to tell her about the heather as well falling off the wall and see can she get it fixed.

Yap its same lock on both doors as there is main door to go into 1st.

Will be telling the landlord 1st thing tomorrow as i am going to tell her about the heather as well falling off the wall and see can she get it fixed.

Where do you live OP? I'll call over with a standard set of basta keys and empty the place.

I cant imagine the landlord being able to get insurance (or claim insurance) if there's only a standard internal door lock on the front door. Also, simple for someone to rob your house. I'd be getting onto the landlord about that, and asking for a proper lock for the front door.

Where do you live OP? I'll call over with a standard set of basta keys and empty the place.

I cant imagine the landlord being able to get insurance (or claim insurance) if there's only a standard internal door lock on the front door. Also, simple for someone to rob your house. I'd be getting onto the landlord about that, and asking for a proper lock for the front door.

Sounds to me like it's a house converted to apartments setup where there is a proper lock on the front door of the house which is common for all people living there and then the internal apartment doors have normal locks. The main front door having a proper lock most likely cover the LL from an insurance point of view.

Still not ideal of course but if this is the set up its not as bad as it sounded at first.

Sounds to me like it's a house converted to apartments setup where there is a proper lock on the front door of the house which is common for all people living there and then the internal apartment doors have normal locks. The main front door having a proper lock most likely cover the LL from an insurance point of view.

Still not ideal of course but if this is the set up its not as bad as it sounded at first.

That pretty much the way it works.

Have done up a doc with breckdown of costs and how much its going to cost to replace everything he broke, bills and fix the heather. I talked it over with others and the bills are very fair and i am charging him the going rates.

That pretty much the way it works.

Have done up a doc with breckdown of costs and how much its going to cost to replace everything he broke, bills and fix the heather. I talked it over with others and the bills are very fair and i am charging him the going rates.

You've talked it over with others. OBVIOUSLY your friends are going to agree with you. I don't think anyone here agreed with the costs you're charging him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You've talked it over with others. OBVIOUSLY your friends are going to agree with you. I don't think anyone here agreed with the costs you're charging him.

I would also go as far as saying that from the things the OP is trying to charge, makes me seriously question his credibility

Update for everyone i went and got copy's of all bills for the guy. I went and got the OLD ESB and Water and copy of the bins from my landlord. I am basing the prices he owes me on that. Got the wall fixed, Replaced all Glasses he broke, Got the Place Cleaned.

Sent him on the copy's of the bills he seems OK with them. Then here where the fun starts I asked him for his bank account number to Transfor the money to him 5 times now he is refusing to give it to me, Then i said i will send a bank transfer he wont take that it as he dos not have have a Irish bank account, I offered to meet him in town in a coffee shop to hand him his money back in person cash nope he wont do that as well.

So how am i going to give him his money back ?. As i don't have any address for him other then his work one ?. I have €300 euros sitting in my bank for him and he dosint seem to wont it back ? WTF. The last place i rented my landlord asked for my bank details to give the money back and bam i gave them over the phone as i wonted my money back ha ha.

Have you asked him how he wants to be given the money back?

• Advertisement

Yes i have asked him. 1st was i will transfer the money back over to you today from my bank account as its easier and you should have the money in 2 or 3 days.

His reply was i don't fell like giving you my bank details .....

Then i asked him would a bank draft suit you ?. As i can go to the bank get one and send it reg post to you ?. But i will have to take the costs of a bank draft and the post from it ?. As if you let me Transfer the money over to you will get at lest 10 euros more.

His reply no i cant cash a bank draft as i dont have time to go to the bank and i dont have a Irish bank account. I am also still not happy with a bank Transfer.

Then i asked OK i will go to the ATM and get you your money cash and meet you in a coffee shop in town but i will wont you to sign a doc that shows i have giving you all money that is owed to you ?.

His reply i dont have time to meet you in town.

So how am i going to get this money i owe back to him ?. As he just seems he does not wont it at all ?. In the last email i sent him i told him he is making this so hard for both of us as i wont to give you your money back and just told him his carry on is so childish and impossible to deal with as there has been nearly 10 days of emails and 30 + of them of me trying to give him his money back ?.

Advertisement