Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub let rights.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Even from reading this it's really obvious how wound up you are getting. 30 emails over 10 days.

It's probably quite funny for your former housemate.

Drop your landlord a message if necessary and confirm all sorted and that you have the return of the deposit ready and have contacted the housemate and you are waiting on him to arrange a time to meet.

Stop contacting the housemate, let him contact you to arrange to collect it. You have it well documented that you have tried numerous options to contact him and he won't cooperate.

Don't spend the 300 euro. He will get in touch himself about it and return it then.

Ask him once more of his bank details or you are keeping the money. If he refuses to give the details, feck him go and buy some thing for yourself and forget about him. If he comes back crying for it again tell him tough luck.

It's what I'd have done long ago, I'd have asked him once or twice to give me his details and if he refused I'd tell him good luck. No way would I be offering to get bank drafts or meet him at my inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ask him once more of his bank details or you are keeping the money. If he refuses to give the details, feck him go and buy some thing for yourself and forget about him.
    Fúcking terrible advice right here.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Feck sake, there are 2 of you in it. Here's what I would do: you have his work address, right? Send him an email (cc landlord if necessary) saying something like:

Dear Stoner,

I refer to the €300 which is currently owed to you in respect of your deposit. During our previous discussions regarding this, you have refused to facilitate the return of same. Please be advised that if you do not either forward me an account number to transfer the funds into, or arrange a convenient time to meet within the next 5 days, I will have no option but to purchase a bank draft and send it to you.

Regards,

OP

Then if he doesn't agree to meet or give you his details, go and get a bank draft and send it to him by registered post. Keep your receipt, take a photo of it and store it somewhere secure. If he won't give you his bank details, and won't meet you to pick up cash, you've got no other way of returning his deposit.

You can't hold on to €300 indefinitely waiting for this eejit to decide to "allow" you to return it. He doesn't have an Irish bank account? Not your problem. You gave him numerous options for getting the money back.

Let your landlord know you are doing this, and email him saying something to the effect:

"Dear Stoner,

Further to my previous email, as you have refused to meet me to exchange cash, or supply a bank account number for me to transfer to, I have today purchased a bank draft for the amount of €XXX - your deposit, less XYZ, less the fee for bank draft and postage. I have forwarded same to you by registered post.

Regards,

OP

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Fúcking terrible advice right here.

If you think that's bad advice you are soft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement