Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boundries when shooting

Options
  • 10-01-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

hi all
    I know that this is probably done to death but I cant find the info

I was talking to a neighbour this evening . she told me that there were a few guys shooting in the field beside her. I heard it too
    she said that they got out of their van and fired from the road before going into the field
    she told me that they shot a rabbit on top of a boundary bank that has a ditch on top of it. there are small gaps in the ditch.
    she rang the land owner and he went mad so im assuming they don't have permission to be there

I don't know any of the rules for shooting but I find it hard to believe that you can shoot towards a ditch that you don't know what's behind it. or that you can shoot on a public road

I don't have a problem with them shooting if they do it safely but I don't think they were .
    what's the best way to go about stopping this or being prepared if they come back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

It is illegal to discharge any firearm from a road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

what's the best way to go about stopping this or being prepared if they come back
    You've done it.

Contact the land owner and leave it to them to deal with (via An Gardaí or whomever the land owner calls).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

illegal to shoot from a public road if you have the number of the van pass it on to the gardai. the like of this gives us
    a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

skipking wrote: »
    illegal to shoot from a public road if you have the number of the van pass it on to the gardai. the like of this gives us
    a bad name.

unfortunately I wasn't there and don't have the no.

its pointless reporting it without anyway to identify the culprits.

is it illegal to shoot towards a ditch where there could be anything unknown behind it.

is it illegal to shoot into someone's land without permission from someone else's land

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

unfortunately I wasn't there and don't have the no.
    As said above you've done your part so it's up to the landowner now and only if s/he has details to report.
    is it illegal to shoot towards a ditch where there could be anything unknown behind it.
    No. It's against good common sense and safe practice, but not illegal.
    is it illegal to shoot into someone's land without permission from someone else's land
    Of course.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

i know sometimes after a long brisk walk hunting and you get nothing and there on the road after walking all that distance for your quarry your intended quarry so happens to cross to the road like me walking home one day after hunting pheasant tired a bird crosses the road and looks at me then legs it, wouldn't you just love to let rip at it but no common sense comes into play you never shoot from a road end of story, you are just fueling the anti's to get firearms banned. concerned members of the public wouldn't think twice of calling the guards.

Advertisement