Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warming cat food?

• 10-01-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Do you know if it's safe to heat cat food?
    Do cats need extra warmth this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

I would never heat the stuff from the packets but I used to give them proper hot food, or heat milk on the cold days.

But no, I don't think they need the extra warmth, it just made me feel good to spoil them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks for the reply.
    I thought cats couldn't digest milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Addle wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I thought cats couldn't digest milk?

You can get cat milk in most pet shops. Ours LOVES it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

Cat milk or mix it with water is what I used to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I heat tinned cat food for my cats, one cat will only eat it if its warmed. Its safe as they're eating it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Addle wrote: »
    Do you know if it's safe to heat cat food?
    Do cats need extra warmth this time of year?
    They need quality food and a bit more then summer time but they don't need it to be heated. What you can do is to pour a bit (spoonful) of hot water on top to make it smell more appetizing but they don't need hot food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not cat food but I give the doggies (good quality) wet food maybe once a week and give it a little heat in the microwave for them lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

One of my princesses will not eat wet food if it is chilled from the fridge! So I must heat it to take the chill off. I dont bother with dry food although the vet said it can encourage them if they are off their food a bit as it brings out the smell.

As far as warmth goes, they both have a variety of beds, cushions, blankies and of course my clothes, bed, couch are fair game also!! Plus their own fur coats. So I dont worry too much about them staying warm. I do have heat pads but neither really seem interested in them. I did find one on the bed once over where the hot water bottle was but it wasnt that warm at that point and I dont think thats why she was on that spot.

One of them did get a fleecey blanky from Santa Paws and she does like snuggling in under it. But she equally lies on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'd often heat food just for ten seconds to take the chill out of it from the fridge, or if it's cold in the utility, but with some higher quality foods where you can see the little white streaks of fat in them, I'll heat it for 30 seconds to melt this down and mush the food up with salmon oil, they go crazy for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I had a kitten who would refuse to drink water (many kittens do). I fed him wet food from the packet, mashed up with a little warm water from the kettle, especially if I had fed him just half a packet before and put the other half in the refrigerator and the cold half needed to have the chill taken off it. He's a great big kitten now and wakes me up every morning for his "hot porridge". :) Of course if you do this you need to check that the food is not too hot. I wouldn't ever put it in the microwave because of "hot spots".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Speedwell wrote: »
    I wouldn't ever put it in the microwave because of "hot spots".

If I microwave cat food I mash it afterwards and test it with my finger to ensure its not too hot.

If I microwave cat food I mash it afterwards and test it with my finger to ensure its not too hot.

I do the same, do it for ten seconds at a time and stir after each one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok so I tried this last night with some good food that had obvious fat streaks in it and OMG Shade went CRAZY! Good to keep in the back pocket when she take a figary and decides she doesn't like whatever it is I put down!!!

Ok so I tried this last night with some good food that had obvious fat streaks in it and OMG Shade went CRAZY! Good to keep in the back pocket when she take a figary and decides she doesn't like whatever it is I put down!!!

Amazing how well it works :D

Advertisement