Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bachelor Pad/Man Cave

• 10-01-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭

What special gadgets/nice pieces of equipment do you lads have in your pad??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Harness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

TV, chromecast, whiskey and glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was: Smart TV, beer fridge, Xbox, HD box, Sound system.

Now: Cot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Was: Smart TV, beer fridge, Xbox, HD box, Sound system.

Now: Cot

I've a big box of contraceptives in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Frynge wrote: »
    TV, chromecast, whiskey and glasses.

A nice bottle of whisky is a must. Wouldn't mind a nice set of glasses though. Might look into that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

syklops wrote: »
    I've a big box of contraceptives in mine.

Sound. Have you a time machine in there too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

A stove, gin and tonic, armchair, 50" hdtv with freeview??.
    4 kids a wife two dogs two kats and a goldfish.
    popcorn on the floor,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Whiskey and decent glasses would be more of a necessity for a grown man than a gadget / indulgence imho. ;)

A man cave is a dream for a time when I can afford to buy my own place. The ambition would be to get some home brewing equipment for one. The longer term dream would be for a garage large enough to tackle a camper van restoration project in.

My biggest indulgence in our house is my marine aquarium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

55 inch smart tv, ps4, surround sound/home cinema system, multiroom audio, android streaming box, dog, aquarium, decor done just as I like it, training area (dumbbells, pull up bars) . Don't drink at home ever so no need for the whiskey for me. Loads of meat in the fridge and freezer. I like it. Now just have to entice a woman back sometime

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

clsmooth wrote: »
    A nice bottle of whisky is a must. Wouldn't mind a nice set of glasses though. Might look into that
    Worth it. There’s something very pleasing about a glass with a nice heavy base.

My gaff is more granny pad than bachelor pad at the moment, but I’ve got the essentials: TV, couch, whiskey, glasses.

Quite like the idea of picking up a console or steam box and a VR headset later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

40 inch LED to, 5.1 surround sound, PS3, Nintendo wii with sega mega drive and snes emulator, laptop, 6 foot canvas picture of a Starcraft marine with nuke going off in the background, statue of cloud strife on hardy Daytona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What is it about glasses with a heavy base? Also love them. And Leo from the West Wing agreed.

Watch the first 30 seconds of this video.

He and I disagree on ice in scotch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

well i cant afford a big tv - but i have xbox360 laptop, game cube, sky tv in the living room.

The sitting room on the other hand is a geek haven, loads of transformer toys, lego star wars, video game memorabilia, three by two transformers pictures, framed signed comics, my games workshop armies, force fx lightsabers (anakins and lukes)

I think ive just realised why im single :p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

My house is my mancave, living alone ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

mansize wrote: »
    My house is my mancave, living alone ftw

AGREED!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I floored the attic, got an old sofa, my xbox360, a sound bar from argos (for base notes!) and a projector and a blackout roller blind from Ikea sa my 'screen' .... great for gaming or playing dvds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Xbox 360
    Kindle
    Nexus 7 tablet (on its last legs)
    Laptop
    Chromecast
    Bluetooth speaker, good but would love a full sonos system.

Also I have a very very old tv in the living room....would like a 40 inch hd tv, doesn't need to be smart as I have the chrimecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My gaff is more granny pad than bachelor pad at the moment, but I’ve got the essentials: TV, couch, whiskey, glasses.

Quite like the idea of picking up a console or steam box and a VR headset later in the year.
    The wife got me a nice set as part of my xmas present, nice glasses are definatly a must have! Up on the shelf now with a bottle of green spot whiskey, a bottle of crystal head vodka and a box of cigars. All thee for important man meetings :D

image.jpg1_zps3vxanpj7.jpg

image.jpg1_zpshpkbbkvv.jpg

Well, it looks like the man shed might be closer for me than I thought. Hoping to buy a house before Summer so a decent shed (or room for one) will be on the "must have" list! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

silverbolt wrote: »
    AGREED!!!!!

Seconded, motion carries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Arcade machine with emulator.
    46' TV. PS3. Surround sound. 4TB external hard drive, full of movies and TV shows.
    Very comfy recliner.
    About 80 - 100 bobble heads and figures of movie characters on some tidy shelving.
    Dart board. (Used about 5 times)
    Some cool led lights, and a decent lamp for reading. (Twice a year)
    Blackout blinds. (Essential for any movie fan).

Might get a bigger TV, but it's not really a priority atm.
    A small fridge isn't needed either, as the kitchen is fairly close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Got a bottle of selected Jameson & set of Jasper Conran tumblers for Christmas - absolutely love the glasses - they're understated & very thin around the rim.

Still renting so essentially the whole place is a man cave but I've purchased all the essentials for my room which will make up a great man cave in future - mini fridge, futon, whiskey & glasses, recliner. Think the next thing will be a projector but that'll depend entirely on where I end up next i.e. my own place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't have a single room fully dedicated to a man cave, sounds tempting when I have some spare cash again (bought a house a few months ago and getting married soon)! :D

I have sort of commandeered the sitting room. Have a 32 inch Panasonic TV (would go bigger but it came from the old house and the max the alcove could take is 40). Below this I have a PS4, Xbox One and Freesat box. On a circular glass table I have a very nice chess set that my brother got me for Christmas 2 years ago. For sitting I have a funky swivel armchair.

The living room is where we spend most of our time. Have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, Freesat+ HD box, Xbox 360 (mainly as a glorified Netflix player) and my favourite - a Popcorn Hour A-400 media player (has it's own torrent client that I manage via phone). Also have a Raspberry Pi 2 there with Retropie installed, it's a very neat retro console emulation system.

Turned one of the downstairs bedrooms into a gym, have a bench with barbells, dumbbells and plenty of plates. Recently I got a rowing machine which is setup there now too. Popped them on interlocking gym mats to save the timber floor.

Reading back over this it sounds like I have a good bit but have just been picking up bits over a good period.

Next up might be a multi-room audio system and a decent NAS in the attic (probably go for a Synology in a RAID1 configuration).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

My man cave when it was first built, now has a 55" lg 4k oled & onkyo/tannoy sound system, tivo with sky sports and movies and amazon/netflix, other than a bong and beer fridge that's it! Minimalist lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Living alone, my whole apartment is a "man cave" of sorts :)

New place is actually bigger than any I lived in before - and it came with ethernet to all rooms.

Living room is just a little bit pimped up: Oldish 32" LCD HDTV (should probably upgrade, but it's still ok for now), Chromecast, Xbox360, 2.1 sound system (the TV's speakers suck), bookcase with books/xbox360 games/movies. Cool white (6500k) ceiling led lamps for activity, warm white (2700k) floor lamp for relaxing/reading. Remote controlled sockets. Airliner models more or less everywhere (some I built from kits, some bought ready made), a few car models.

Rest of the place is relatively standard, if you overlook the fact there is essentially a computer of some kind in every single room.

Second bedroom however, different story - I converted it into a study/hobby room: Gaming PC with triple screen setup (one 27" and two 23" at the sides), 5.1 sound system, high back "manager" chair, behind screen LED lighting for night time operations, LED 6500k ceiling light for when you need to actually see things...2.40m x 1.25m model railway setup currently under construction, cabinet with train models, stash of Revel/Zvezda/Airfix airliner kits to be built, power tools, paints, modeling tools and whatnot. There's also a bed in there in case of visitors - normally, it's covered with a protective tarpaulin. Needless to say, if I have family/friends visiting, I'll be a good host giving up the (very normal) main bedroom and sleep "under the railway bridge" in the study :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Currently in the market for a house. I have one demand. That I get a room to deck out as a man cave / study.

I'm all about the mahogany and oxblood. As with other posters, a crystal decanter with good glasses and possibly a globe that opens into a drinks cabinet (I got a mini one off groupon a while back) The PS4 might go in there too, but would ruin the look.

34owsx2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I hate the term "Man Cave", I hope we can stick with Bachelor Pad.
    Getting the keys to my new house after work where I will stay for the rest of my years until I perish, woohoo!
    But yeah I want to put up a greenhouse to grow vegetables, perhaps look into beer brewing, and I already have a section of the house marked out for where my piano and guitar etc will go, like a little music studio. Roll on 5pm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Three arcade machines and every console ever under the sun. It was bliss!

I hate the term "Man Cave", I hope we can stick with Bachelor Pad.
    The former indicates the one room of the house us non bachelors get to have entirely to ourselves, the latter the luxury of getting to decide everything oneself. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Sleepy wrote: »
    The former indicates the one room of the house us non bachelors get to have entirely to ourselves, the latter the luxury of getting to decide everything oneself. ;)

Oh I guess that makes sense. So I'll be living in some kind of man-drome or something?

Nope, you get to call it a bachelor pad and us marrieds that are still dreaming of having a man cave get to be jealous...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

aaakev wrote: »
    The wife got me a nice set as part of my xmas present, nice glasses are definatly a must have! Up on the shelf now with a bottle of green spot whiskey, a bottle of crystal head vodka and a box of cigars. All thee for important man meetings :D

image.jpg1_zps3vxanpj7.jpg

The mrs got me the same decanter set, so i built a home bar to go around them :D

Also have projector hooked up to sky sports, media player, wii(meh) dvd player etc
    Surround Sound System
    Foosball table
    Home brew beer/cider/stout/wine
    2 fish tanks

Getting married this year - so have to get it finished ASAP :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Borisgem8

Gaming PC, a nice big recliner, TV, ect. It is nothing special but it is my space to unwind and forget women exist for a bit haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

'Man Cave' is also my home office - so the major items are a desk with a MacPro, loads of shelves with mostly books on them and few other bits and pieces, including my modest collection of military vintage watches, a more modest collection of fountain pens, a Waltham 8 Day Clock and a photo of myself and herself on top of a mountain in NZ.

40" LED TV with PS4. Nespresso machine. Bean-to-cup filter coffee machine. Gun cabinet. Telescope. Butler stand.

Filing cabinet with a nice bottle of whiskey and a couple of nicer glasses in the bottom drawer - the rest of the drawers are boring work stuff.

I've been searching around for mancave inspiration, nowadays everyone seems to want to ram the room full of Playstations and TV. I took a more old school approach, its a study. With the emphasis on whiskeys, gins, the occasional cigar and conversation.

This is phase 1:

2aik239.jpg

Phase 2: Curtains and paint.

Phase 3: Fixtures and cabinet / shelving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I was hoping for some pics of these bachelor pads. Going to do up my box room and sitting room soon. Bought a new build a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, it looks like the man shed might be closer for me than I thought. Hoping to buy a house before Summer so a decent shed (or room for one) will be on the "must have" list! ;)

That's like my OH. When we bought our house it was his first thought. He has that shed immaculate and I'm not allowed to store anything that I don't want in the house in it. Its cleaner and more organised than our house! :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LSVCP

a fine rack of cups. Would love to extract tea in one of these bad boys.

with, my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm not too proud to admit that I'm stoney at this point in my life. Not only am I a bachelor, I'm a recessionary bachelor that lives with me ma at an age when a man shouldn't. I'm currently breaking my back working and trying to get a qualification together that I hope will get me on the road to the place of my own I've always dreamed of.

One day I hope to report back that my man cave, of the shedular variety contains underfloor heating, ample bench space, a bike ramp, welder, various power tools and a considerable hand tool selection. One of my ambitions in life is to restore at least one old car. I also wish to learn to repair, refinish, build and restore guitars and other luthiery and also a little light furniture restoration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Should try a local mensheds cant. Might be some restoration projects that you could get involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bigduffman - where did you get those chairs, my life needs a set.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm not too proud to admit that I'm stoney at this point in my life. Not only am I a bachelor, I'm a recessionary bachelor that lives with me ma at an age when a man shouldn't. I'm currently breaking my back working and trying to get a qualification together that I hope will get me on the road to the place of my own I've always dreamed of.

One day I hope to report back that my man cave, of the shedular variety contains underfloor heating, ample bench space, a bike ramp, welder, various power tools and a considerable hand tool selection. One of my ambitions in life is to restore at least one old car. I also wish to learn to repair, refinish, build and restore guitars and other luthiery and also a little light furniture restoration.

That sounds class....would you consider selling the restored guitars or do commerical restoration? As they say, if you work from your man cave then every day is a holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

My current man cave is pretty sweet.

It has a TV with about 7 retro consoles hooked up to it, along with a big collection of games to play.
    In one corner, I have my electronic drum set and in the other, I've a leather recliner with an overhanging lamp.

Other side of the room is my desk and bookshelf, along with other knick knacks... Working on a nice bean bag for it next, that'd really set it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

My current man cave is pretty sweet.

It has a TV with about 7 retro consoles hooked up to it, along with a big collection of games to play.
    In one corner, I have my electronic drum set and in the other, I've a leather recliner with an overhanging lamp.

Other side of the room is my desk and bookshelf, along with other knick knacks... Working on a nice bean bag for it next, that'd really set it off.

Photos?

bigduffman - where did you get those chairs, my life needs a set.

The chairs are called Chesterfield chairs or wingback arm chairs. I got mine off adverts. A very luxurious sit. You can get reproductions faux leather for quite reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

clsmooth wrote: »

You can buy the crystal glasses from Bladerunner

Skatedude wrote: »
    You can buy the crystal glasses from Bladerunner

Carrig Donn shops are doing an offer on Killarney Crystal Whiskey Glasses (this type http://www.adverts.ie/cups-glasses/6-killarney-crystal-whiskey-glasses/4695274) for €20 at the moment https://www.carraigdonn.com/action/searchsite/killarney%20Crystal (not the whiskey glasses but couldn't find them on site). Don't know how long sale is going on for though.

Of all things in my "cave" (which is to say the garage area where all my crazy projects start) - aside from all the usual tools and stuff - are a load of windowed eggs.

Windowing eggs is a process where essentially you cut a piece of an egg shell away and reseal it with something transparent. So you can observe the growing embryo - observe red blood cells dividing and all that kind lark - as a project with my 6 year old daugther. Been great fun and a great window (pardon pun unintended) into science and biology for her.

Idea came from reading about a Jewish scientist who was not allowed do science in lab space because of being a Jew, who helped complete our current understanding of cell theory by doing windowing of eggs in his attic in secret. He helped ramify the notion that cells only ever come from existing cells.

He was ignored at the time and his colleague, a well to do German, stole his research and published it as his own. So get to teach my daughter also about how barriers such as religion, or your gender, can make it difficult to do some kinds of work - but that hard work, motivation, dedication and belief can over come all. Great stuff.

Advertisement