Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon tattoo

Options
  • 10-01-2016 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Ironman tattoo's
    A pretty controversial topic.
    There are lots of people on here that totally disagree with them and there are some that love them, what are you're thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

If you've earned it you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The logo itself wouldn't be for me. Have seen some different ones though, like small different flags of each country some one done in around the ankle. Probably only look good though if you had a few of them though. Wouldn't be keen on tattooing a company logo on myself really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Tatoos are personal things. Brand yourself whatever way you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Personally I don't like the M Dot or logos in general but I've seen other tri related tatoos that are cool.

What if IM rebranded in 10 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

which tattoo should i get for winning the dublin ironman relay ??
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    Ironman tattoo's
    A pretty controversial topic.
    There are lots of people on here that totally disagree with them and there are some that love them, what are you're thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    which tattoo should i get for winning the dublin ironman relay ??

I think you should add that to your sig, "Ironman relay winner 2015"

Not a fan of tattoos, even more so the IM logo as one. Its a bit like getting the apple or McDonalds logo printed on you.

Now Paul please tell me you did not get one:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'd be in the "if you've earned it, you deserve it".

It's nothing like getting the McDonalds/Apple logo, I'd imagine 99% of the population don't even realize it's a company.

No difference to wearing an Ironman or Dublin City Marathon tshirt to the gym really

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

I think you should add that to your sig, "Ironman relay winner 2015"

Not a fan of tattoos, even more so the IM logo as one. Its a bit like getting the apple or McDonalds logo printed on you.

Now Paul please tell me you did not get one:)

As well you know JB i have a particular tattoo on my ankle that has a swimmer, cyclist and runner around it, i got it after my 1st IM and i quiet like it, i know its not everyones cup of tea but i added my own bits too it to make it a bit more individual, i've always liked tattoos but felt i needed a really good reason to get one, i was very proud of myself having done an Iron distance race, its something i never thought i would do, i have 2 long distance done now and intend doing more, we are triathletes and are around similar people all the time so a long distance race means very little but the reality is very very few people do a sprint triathlon never mind an Ironman, i like explaining my tattoo to people when asked about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If I ever got one with the M-Dot (which is doubtful for me but....) I'd have the logo hidden in the artwork so I would know it's there, but not necessarily anyone else would. And the artwork may or may not be tri related.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

don't see why one would care if others like his tattoo or not. I really like IM logo but decided not to go with it, not yet at least. If they rebranded it I would do it for sure, but for now I'm more than satisfied with my Tri-tattoo :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive always thought having the mdot tattoo is like wearing a target: 'I'm good I am, cmon, beat me'. :) Basically it is a permanent boast.

Nine times out of ten when I see an mdot on someone my first reaction is to check the physique and go 'really?'. (Dont worry its the reaction I always get to people hearing Ive done an ironman. I just don't have the tat) I dont know whether my gut reaction says more about me or the people wearing the brand.

Unlike wearing a teeshirt, you can't choose when to wear a tattoo and when its inappropriate. Of course it does get covered up depending on where it is, but there may yet be times you dont want it on display but cant avoid it. That goes for all tattoos but moreso one that makes the statement an mdot does.

Ive seen some great designs and I prefer the ones where the mdot is incorporated into a more complex design and therefore becomes unique (and less obvious).

If you have one, youve earned it and its your choice to wear it. Maybe Im just jealous, and the real reason I dont have one is because I dont think my performances justified a boast about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

To me it's the same as getting your wedding anniversary tattooed on your wrist. Yeah it traumatic and you might not even do it again in hindsight but you'll never forget it so what's the point unless your feeling the early onset of Alzheimer's

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Some people will notice the tattoo, some won't. Of those that do notice it some will think fair play and others will think the person is a c0ck for the reason Oryx said - Its basically a permanent boast.

But sure those reactions are normal - that's life - you either care what others think or not.

I think those that get one should have the event, finish time and year included so people can make a fair assessment of the achievement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Do Ironman charge for the M-dot tattoo, at the end of races?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

zico10 wrote: »
    Do Ironman charge for the M-dot tattoo, at the end of races?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Never understood why people don't opt to get a tattoo of Iron Man instead. Way more fun and comes with inbuilt deniability if you don't want to make a target of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Some nice choice there as well ;)

a06933a948dc136d5b6079a8fdc84088.jpg

0cfde9ebc0e0811b4c5e9a114b2a7c31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Pfft! Lame; need to see his splits first...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.ironmanstore.com/awa-accessories/ironman-m-dot-8mm-square-shank-ring-14kt-yellow-gold.html

problem solved ;-0
    Oryx wrote: »
    Ive always thought having the mdot tattoo is like wearing a target: 'I'm good I am, cmon, beat me'. :) Basically it is a permanent boast.

Nine times out of ten when I see an mdot on someone my first reaction is to check the physique and go 'really?'. (Dont worry its the reaction I always get to people hearing Ive done an ironman. I just don't have the tat) I dont know whether my gut reaction says more about me or the people wearing the brand.

Unlike wearing a teeshirt, you can't choose when to wear a tattoo and when its inappropriate. Of course it does get covered up depending on where it is, but there may yet be times you dont want it on display but cant avoid it. That goes for all tattoos but moreso one that makes the statement an mdot does.

Ive seen some great designs and I prefer the ones where the mdot is incorporated into a more complex design and therefore becomes unique (and less obvious).

If you have one, youve earned it and its your choice to wear it. Maybe Im just jealous, and the real reason I dont have one is because I dont think my performances justified a boast about it. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you were ever in any doubt that its just a money making racket....^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

I always fancied the M.Dot tattoo on my calf but figured there is no point as there will never be anyone behind me on the road to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

peter kern wrote: »

is the idea that you punch people leaving the implant on their chin saving them having to get the tattoo? or if you heat it up can you brand them like they used do with cattle?

Advertisement