Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cul de sac or house in front of green area?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    First thanks for reading. We are buying a house at the moment & deciding between two semi-d houses in the same estate (same house layout & size) & would be grateful for others advice on the following

House 1 - in a cul de sac with dense bushes opposite & field behind used for farmland at the moment, the front of the house is north facing with a downward sloping driveway & large garden again downward sloping but south east facing at the back. More of a blank canvas than house 2 in relation to decoration.

House 2 - facing a green, level plot with slightly smaller back garden, road directly in front is the only access road to say 40 houses further on in the estate, it has mature hedging in between joined house at front, the back garden is less well cared for here, in that fence needs replacing in parts on one side but not a big issue. The aspect is south east front & back for this one.

We have children which I think is relevant to the decision.

I would be grateful for opinions, again thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What is the green used for?

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

athtrasna wrote: »
    What is the green used for?

What is a green area in any estate used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Totes

Thanks for reply, it's a play area for kids as far as I know, soccer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would go cul de sac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Opposite the green would be my choice. Despite the road at least you could keep an eye on the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What is a green area in any estate used for?

It's a valid question.

OP head down there around 3:30/4 pm on a Friday, around the time schools are out for the weekend. If you see a load of teenagers hanging around, that will likely be the set up every weekend and summer day.

When we were house hunting we crossed one house off our list for this reason. While I was sitting in the car waiting for the estate agent of load of teenage boys congregated on the wall on the green directly outside the house. It wasn't something I was comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Opposite the green would be my choice. The kids are far more likely to play on the green than their garden anyway and once they're old enough and taught proper road safety the road *shouldn't* be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would pick the cul-de-sac myself; less traffic, and thus less people.

Check out what wall the teenagers like to sit on in the evenings, and this may sway your position.

Thanks for advice re Friday afternoon, I'll definitely do this. I do have concerns re green & noise level during Summer, with a cul de sac ppl usually have a 'reason' to be there i.e.live on same road, with a green anyone can legitimately hang out there. It's tough to tell in relation to the activity this time of year particularly with rain levels in the past few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Definitely cul de sac, just wait til you have to listen to football games all summer....from the green that is... Less traffic too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Cul de sac. Having very little passing traffic is a huge plus for me even without kids.

Nowadays with two cars per house, 40 houses creates a lot of traffic. Some people seem to need to drive somewhere every hour for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I lived in a cul-de-sac of 7 houses for 11 years. It was brilliant for the kids. When they were old enough they could play out the front without the danger of cars. When they were older again they were let out to the greens out of sight of the house.

We moved last year & went for the end of a cul-de-sac again.

In looking at houses for sale last year the ones fronting on to the road in an estate never commanded as much interest.
    Cars travel at crazy speeds in estates - we had that problem where I lived before & there were also issues with teenagers on the greens. I often felt like I lived in a different estate to other people when I heard them talking about problems with speed, cars, teenagers & general noise from kids.

Cul-de-sac all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd go with the green myself, just check out any through routes. If you can walk through or by the green to get to other estates, then you will get a lot of younger people walking through. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just something to be aware of.

But if the only thing the green leads to is those 40 houses, then that would be less of a concern.

Grew up in front of a green myself, nothing like being able to just run out the front door with a football or a hurley in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Totes wrote: »
    The aspect is south east front & back for this one.

how does that work?

anyway, I'd go for the cul-de-sac - my main concern for the other one would be the constant traffic. Best of both worlds would be a house within sight of the green but not on an access route to loads of other houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I grew up on a cul de sac and I think it is great for kids. It can be safer and quiter regarding traffic and people passing through. Your kids could also find it a clearer boundary for playing out. We were only allowed play on the cul de sac and there was always one of the parents looking out the window at us! I also think it is easier to get to know your neighbours. If you are facing the green you are likely to only know your next door neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Id go for cul de sac.
    With the green you will have constant noise from kids playing. That in itself is grand when the kids are younger, but it's when they are older, and louder that it may be an issue.
    Even things like trying to get your own kids to settle at night on the bright evenings might be a problem with the noise of older kids playing on the green.

If it's an access road you will have traffic constantly going in and out, and believe me, there are drivers who are only mindful of children playing when they approach their own house.

I live in a cul de sac, within view of a green, and where we live feels much more peaceful and cosy.
    As said before, the majority of cars coming and going are belonging to the residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

cul-de-sac
    cul-de-sac
    cul-de-sac

regardless of your childs age or lack off at the moment, there will be traffic on the road in front and guaranteed there will be at least one arsehole who has to, just has to speed and drive like a moron past the green where the kids play. If you are really lucky, he will have mates that like to visit him 20 times a day and they will all have tin cans on their exhausts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Someone made a good point about the speed of traffic. Our estate is full of young children, old people and dogs. Yet the way some of the residents speed through, you would think it was Mondelo. The worst thing is that these are the parents of the children/relatives of the old people/owners of the dogs. You would think they would know better.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Your opinions/advice are really helpful.

I think we'll be making an offer on the house in the cul de sac, it seems the best option for avoiding traffic and general noise. I will miss the sun at the front of the house though but on balance a better buy I think.

Thanks again for all replies.

Cul-de-sac without a doubt, I wouldn't even consider the other option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...in a cul de sac with dense bushes opposite & field behind used for farmland at the moment

Ahh, the sweet smell of slurry. Gotta love the country lifestyle.

IMHO you need to know what plans there might be for this farmland. If there's housing right to the border now, then it's likely there will be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Your opinions/advice are really helpful.

I think we'll be making an offer on the house in the cul de sac, it seems the best option for avoiding traffic and general noise. I will miss the sun at the front of the house though but on balance a better buy I think.

Thanks again for all replies.

it wasnt mentioned but I have found that cul de sacs have a better community / neighbourly air about them. having grown up in a few areas and raising children myself now, thats definitely my experience.

strange cars or people wandering around also stands out more. Theres just so many pro's for a cul-de-sac

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ahh, the sweet smell of slurry. Gotta love the country lifestyle.

IMHO you need to know what plans there might be for this farmland. If there's housing right to the border now, then it's likely there will be more.

True re slurry but it is a passing stench not constant... and yes, get a search done re all neighbouring lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi OP we bought our house in a cul de sac and yes it is so much safer in terms of traffic. It also feels more secure as we know now at this stage our neighbours visitors cars so a strange car pulling in or turning looks very suspicious. Our son and our neighbours kids are able to play safely on the path and the roads. Our cul de sac area has 7 houses and it has a nice neighbourhood feel. The green area is around the corner and up the street a bit so he's allowed go up there now that he's older.
    Our house is front facing to the North east so it gets a small bit of sun in the morning but for most of the day the back of the house gets the sun so our back yard is lovely and the rooms at the back of the house are toasty warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd prefer a cul-de-sac myself, but can you see what's on the other side of the wall/hedge bordering the farmland ?
    If there's a bit of a drainage trench, it could have rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cul de sac definitely. No way I would live anywhere near a green area, they are magnets for all sorts of annoying stuff.

But I'm an oul fuddy duddy. I live in a cul de sac and would never live anywhere else ever. Unless I win the lotto or something.

Sun in the back is great. Seems you have that to some extent with SE back. Never buy a house with a north facing back. Big mistake. The houses opposite me have huge back gardens but no sun as they are north facing. It's freezing here today, but with big windows in the back and a South facing garden, the back of the house is quite warm. No heating needed.

Best of luck, buying a house is a huge decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think a cul de sac attracts some equally annoying traits. Every trailer, spare car, visitor car truck van will be parked there. All the kids congregate at cul de sac's for things like football, or just hanging out. While there are less cars. A lot of cars will come down and do U-turns often at speed. So I wouldn't treat it like a free creche for that reason. If you are on a cul de sac and there's a green around the corner past a certain age the kids will be out of sight on the green.

There's kinda positives and negatives to both.

Advertisement