Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid newbie feeling panicky...any advice?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry to be bursting into your forum but I think you're the only people that might be able to help.

I went scuba diving for the first time back in the summer and ended up stressing myself out so much even the thought of trying again makes me feel anxious.....but at the same time I loved it and really want to go back!

Basically I couldn't sink at first and had to have extra weight after about 20 mins of trying, by that point I was so stressed from constantly getting it wrong I wanted to leave! On top of that my mask kept filling with water which went up my nose once - scary moment in the sea! And various other silly little things that ended up in me leaving early.
    It felt a bit claustrophobic and like I needed to take a huge breath- presumably because I was stressed from all the little issues.

So, I'm dying to try again if I can get past this panicky feeling, is there any tips for how to deal with it or anything I could be doing at home that might combat this problem? I'm a bit anxious in general but the sea is my big love so I am so annoyed I couldn't manage it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

You may have done a PADI course while on holidays & a bit rushed…? Maybe try a CFT club would be a lot slower but might help consternating on one little exercise in a pool each week? & all would fall into place in time!

http://diving.ie/join-a-club-today/

If link fails Google Irish Underwater Council (CFT) for info & nearest club..

Hope helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It was a PADI introduction in Galway bay. Part of the claustrophobia was the lack of vision in the brown water I think!!
    I'll look into your suggestion though, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Ho dear pity... but I suppose an introduction course with poor vis not the greatest start.... (although poor vis might be the norm in some areas of our coast) but don't be afraid to try a full PADI course here if CFT club not suitable they'll be a lot easier on you also... (introduction course just too much at once?)... Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You might look at doing a session in a pool before venturing into the sea again.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You might look at doing a session in a pool before venturing into the sea again.

+1 on this at least a pool session is calm and you can see what you're doing! Most CFT clubs are currently running free try-a-dive nights at the minute so look for one that's local.

It sounds like who ever brought you the first time didn't do a good job, there's a rule of thumb for being weighted properly that generally will work. But in saying that an instructor should be able to spot straight away that someone is underweighted and add more!

The mask issue could be a number of things it may have been ill fitting or you maybe have some hair caught between the seal and your skin which can cause leaks. But unfortunately leaks are par for the course and it's very rare you'll go a dive without having to clear your mask. Generally I find that there's almost always a small bit of water around your nose and you eventually get use it and forget about it.

The feeling of having to take a deep breath may well have been the stress but also the reg can be adjusted to make it easier to draw air, the one you used may have been set on a setting which requires more effort on your part to draw a breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Meanaspie wrote: »

The mask issue could be a number of things it may have been ill fitting or you maybe have some hair caught between the seal and your skin which can cause leaks. But unfortunately leaks are par for the course and it's very rare you'll go a dive without having to clear your mask. Generally I find that there's almost always a small bit of water around your nose and you eventually get use it and forget about it.

As above
    The first purchase I would recommend you make if you will continue diving is a well fitted mask.

I wouldn't have minded a small amount of water leaking in but it was completely filling up- somehow my breathing out bubbles were lifting the seal at the bottom.
    Plus as I've incredibly bad eye sight I was wearing contact lenses so the worry of them washing out and being left blind was also present.....maybe it was too big.

I must say the dive instructor was lovely and so patient, it was me that got stressed out and gave up.

I'll look into the pool suggestion, I do feel more comfortable with that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Hi notjustsweet not sure if you are M/F but if male do you have any facial hair? had you shaved? If not this can cause leaks for some people. Claustrophobic feelings aren't unusual by any means. Breathing and stress can form a stress loop that can be hard to break out of. Pool work where you get super comfortable with the gear in an enclosed environment as suggested to where you forget about it and then add the next level of positive stress ie the open water.

Hi notjustsweet not sure if you are M/F but if male do you have any facial hair? had you shaved? If not this can cause leaks for some people. Claustrophobic feelings aren't unusual by any means. Breathing and stress can form a stress loop that can be hard to break out of. Pool work where you get super comfortable with the gear in an enclosed environment as suggested to where you forget about it and then add the next level of positive stress ie the open water.

Thank you for the reply. I'm female though the other instructor (who wasn't in the water) did think my ponytail might have been pushing the strap of the mask too high and causing it too leak....I'm going to try the pool suggestions. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭riggsfitz

Where are you based? Estuary Divers use the University of Limericks pool most Thursday evening. It's a PADI course ran by waterworld (castlegregory) you can develops your skills in a calm setting. Waterworld also run one on tralee on the Wednesday night I think. If any of those suit you.

• Advertisement

riggsfitz wrote: »
    Where are you based? Estuary Divers use the University of Limericks pool most Thursday evening. It's a PADI course ran by waterworld (castlegregory) you can develops your skills in a calm setting. Waterworld also run one on tralee on the Wednesday night I think. If any of those suit you.

I'm in galway, I'll contact the pool out by the coast and see are they doing anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Can I make a suggestion?
    To get comfortable why not try some snorkelling and freediving?
    Its a great way to get used to masks and being in the water in general and while you won't be breathing underwater or controlling buoyancy the confidence you will gain from being used to being in the water will stand to you when (if) you decide to go back to scuba.
    I have been freediving and spearfishing for probably 20 years now and have found that in many cases you will see more animals freediving or snorkelling than by using scuba due to noise and bubbles disturbing them.
    I can dive to 20m but generally don't need to go that deep to see lots.

Advertisement