Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All over blonde VS highlights?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering which of the above you'd recommend?

I don't want peroxide blonde, but would like a nice ash blonde all over. Would this be possible? I do realise I'd have to have the hair bleached up first of course.

However I'm wondering if highlights would be better? I'm worried going all blonde could look cheap and be harder to maintain..

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Highlights are better for your hair because you still have some natural uncoloured hair that is essentially your saving grace after so much highlighting. All over colour can look harsh and regrowth is terrible. A nice light, ashy blonde can be achieved certainly through highlights, it may take a few goes though depending on the colour your hair is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What is your skin colouring? If you are pale, all over blond could look draining. I lived in Australia for a couple of years and went blond. First half head highlights, then full head until eventually blond all over. It looked great when I was living in Australia as I had a faint natural tan all year round. Once I moved back to Ireland and went back to boring old sickly pale, I saw a photo of myself at a wedding with the blond hair and at my next appointment went back to a more natural colour (dark brown).

So if you are pale, I would go with half head highlights or some type of balayage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Don't do it. I had highlights for years. Then did what you are planning to do. I looked like someone who had done a home-dye job badly as the roots were so obvious about a week after doing it. Looked horrific. Had to then dye hair brown to cover it all and only now, 2 years later is my hair getting back to normal. Still brown. Unless I chop it short, which I don't want to do as I have long hair, I will have to wait another year for it to all be fully grown out so I can get my highlights again. So unless you potentially want years of heartache and trouble, stick to the highlights. Much classier look in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Don't do it. I had highlights for years. Then did what you are planning to do. I looked like someone who had done a home-dye job badly as the roots were so obvious about a week after doing it. Looked horrific. Had to then dye hair brown to cover it all and only now, 2 years later is my hair getting back to normal. Still brown. Unless I chop it short, which I don't want to do as I have long hair, I will have to wait another year for it to all be fully grown out so I can get my highlights again. So unless you potentially want years of heartache and trouble, stick to the highlights. Much classier look in my opinion.
    +1 for this - don't go for an all over colour!
    I dyed my hair with a home colour this time last year. I knew I was going to regret it but still did it anyway for a change. Got to the summer with it and went to my hairdressers with my tail between my legs! As the hairdressers couldn't be certain what I had put in my hair and how another colour would react over it, they had to put a similar colour on my roots to help the regrowth and they advised to let it grow out as much as I could and then they would phase the block colour out with full head of highlights and then after that half heads or t-bar.

I am actually naturally blonde (kinda dull looking blonde) so regrowth doesn't look too bad. But it seems to be taking forever to grow out and I've an above the shoulder lob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm naturally a medium brown and had the blonde highlights for years. I really wanted an all over blonde that wouldn't look brassy so the hairdresser used a 9 all over but the roots were bright ginger and looked horrendous. Each hairdresser I went to couldn't get my hair to a nice blonde that I was happy with. And then I bought a hair colour in boots to do at home (I know brave/crazy) and I've been using it ever since. It is the only colour that gives me a lovely all over blonde with no brassiness at all. My hair is in excellent condition since I started home colouring it myself. For anybody who wants to try it it's garnier nutrisse in ice blonde 10.1. Love how it looks and the condition of my hair.

Edited to say the highlights had my hair in awful condition but it's much healthier looking now to where I'm complimented on it which is nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement