Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegas Trip - Clearing US customs.

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:26am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, had a quick look and couldn't find anything.

Traveling to Vegas on April 7th, and we're flying through Heathrow, for the first time, we normally fly delta via NY or Philly, but we got a good deal this time to fly British Airways VIA Heathrow.

We have never flown through the UK before on the way to the state, what happens when clearing customs this way? Do we clear customs in the UK or in Vegas? We only have a 2hr layover in London, will this be enough time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

you do it in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They intend extending the preclearance programme to Heathrow in the future, can't even imagine the nightmare that will be, a couple of hours layover is tight enough as is.

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/dhs-announces-intent-expand-preclearance-10-new-airports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I did the Virgin route via Gatwick in September and you'll clear immigration in Vegas. It's really straight forward and moved really quickly the day I arrived, which was a Sunday. They have a load of kiosks open and the usual desks open so everyone got through in about 40 minutes I'd say, much quicker than pre clearing in Dublin. Haven't connected through Heathrow so can't help you there. I had a 90 minute connection in Gatwick and was tight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

thanks for clearing that up for me guys, was just a little worried i'd have to clear customs in the UK and the 2hr layover wouldn't be enough.

On the way over we have a 2hr10m layover, flying in to Terminal 3 and leaving from Terminal 5, hopefully 2 hours will be enough time to make it to the gate.

Really looking forward to flying direct from the UK, never been on a 747 before, so really looking forward to it.

eeloe wrote: »
    thanks for clearing that up for me guys, was just a little worried i'd have to clear customs in the UK and the 2hr layover wouldn't be enough.

On the way over we have a 2hr10m layover, flying in to Terminal 3 and leaving from Terminal 5, hopefully 2 hours will be enough time to make it to the gate.

Really looking forward to flying direct from the UK, never been on a 747 before, so really looking forward to it.

Aye, two hours should be grand, it's a bit of a trek between the terminals on the airside bus but you should be grand. Just to note, it should be fly into 5 and fly out of 3 on the way to Vegas, and the other way coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You clear in the US your layover is fine. Are you sure you leave from Terminal 5 though? LAS ops from BA moved to T3 recently.

Yes you're all right, i got the terminals mixed up, we're leaving from Terminal 3.

Anyone flown the same flight recently, is BA good as an airline, never flown with them before. Are the aircraft modern and up to date?

I flew with them last year to Vegas on the 747. They're a good airline. Aircraft are not modern nor are they up to date but they are clean and the food offering was nice (Honey and Pepper Chicken on the way out and Cottage Pie on the way back in economy), drink is plentiful too and staff are lovely.

eeloe wrote: »
    Yes you're all right, i got the terminals mixed up, we're leaving from Terminal 3.

Anyone flown the same flight recently, is BA good as an airline, never flown with them before. Are the aircraft modern and up to date?

Aye, did it about six weeks ago, normally fly through Gatwick on the 777, but didn't suit this time. Would much rather Gatwick over Heathrow, but BA is grand for transatlantic. The grub is OK for airline fare, and they'd just started doing two full meal services on the flight instead of one and a snack,, but no one wanted the second one, so I'd imagine they'll do away with that again. You can order a gourmet meal for a price now before your fly as well, which is supposed to be really good. Drink is free and plentiful if you go to the galley for it, and the IFE is pretty good. Just don't look at the in flight map on the way over, you'll be flying over Hudson Bay for hours, just when you're get are starting to get restless and the Vegas bug starts biting :)

That's all you need really, to be fed, watered and have something to watch...what more could you want?

This'll be my first over 8hr flight, usually get a bit restless on anything over 8 hours, but i'm sure i'll be fine!

• Advertisement

Aye, did it about six weeks ago, normally fly through Gatwick on the 777, but didn't suit this time. Would much rather Gatwick over Heathrow, but BA is grand for transatlantic. The grub is OK for airline fare, and they'd just started doing two full meal services on the flight instead of one and a snack,, but no one wanted the second one, so I'd imagine they'll do away with that again. You can order a gourmet meal for a price now before your fly as well, which is supposed to be really good. Drink is free and plentiful if you go to the galley for it, and the IFE is pretty good. Just don't look at the in flight map on the way over, you'll be flying over Hudson Bay for hours, just when you're get are starting to get restless and the Vegas bug starts biting :)

The BA Gatwick flight is finishing soon, both flights will go from Heathrow soon.

January wrote: »
    The BA Gatwick flight is finishing soon, both flights will go from Heathrow soon.
    Hopefully Norwegian will add a Vegas flight from Gatwick soon, or else I'm going via Copenhagen or flying to LA and hitching to Vegas.

Anything to avoid Heathrow:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just don't look at the in flight map on the way over, you'll be flying over Hudson Bay for hours, just when you're get are starting to get restless and the Vegas bug starts biting :)

That's the best bit! Love looking out the window at all the ice.

Advertisement