Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism at odds with the trans movement

Options
  • 11-01-2016 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to lose track of these groups and what they stand for.

I was watching Newsnight a few nights back and I seen a segment dealing with transgender people. The segment highlighted the fact that some transgender people feel they should not be asked to put down gender on official documents. The interesting part for me is the feminist writer Sarah Ditum's attitudes towards the assignment of genders. She seems to want to protect the labeling of genders lest we forget how much men oppress women. First of all I don't think it's fair to use blanket terms like "men oppress women" like Sarah does in the video and secondly I think there's a disturbing trend whereby some feminists are getting annoyed that some trans people identify as women.

I think these groups should go back to being about equality and not whatever they're up to now. In case people think this is a feminism hating thread I'm a supporter of equality as people might notice by now. I just don't believe blaming other demographics is the way forward.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This'll end well. They always do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sure did not Caitlyn sort this lot out single handedly we are all equal what's the issue now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Can't we just have "sex" on all forms instead of "gender" going forward? Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

I love these stories. As per usual these groups turn on eachother and implode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Can't we just have "sex" on all forms instead of "gender" going forward? Problem solved.

When you put that on forms smart arses write "Yes please!"

• Advertisement

xband wrote: »
    When you put that on forms smart arses write "Yes please!"

Ye its usually cis scum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think these groups should go back to being about equality and not whatever they're up to now. In case people think this is a feminism hating thread I'm a supporter of equality as people might notice by now. I just don't believe blaming other demographics is the way forward.

Call me cynical but perceived sexism, real or not serves as a meal ticket for many of these trendy, white feminists. It supplies them with newspaper columns, paid speaking opportunities and book sales. If we somehow had perfect equality for everyone tomorrow, LGBT, women, ethnic minorities, etc... Do you think that they'd just quit?

I'm starting to think of myself as a Libertarian as it makes a lot more sense to me than pandering to these groups with their demands for censorship, special privileges and handouts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Trans movement? I wouldn't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

you can only be so open minded until your brain falls out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm more open to feminism than a lot of people here it seems but I have absolutely zero time for the TERF (Trans Exclusionary Radicals) side of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

e_e wrote: »
    I'm more open to feminism than a lot of people here it seems but I have absolutely zero time for the TERF (Trans Exclusionary Radicals) side of it all.

It's the first I've heard of it. Of course I support equality between the genders but I don't get why some feminists seem annoyed at the trans movement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the first I've heard of it. Of course I support equality between the genders but I don't get why some feminists seem annoyed at the trans movement.

I suspect that they don't see trans women as real women. It's also possible, sadly that they don't appreciate having their perceived spotlight stolen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Was talking to one once and they were all "oh they're not really women, it's just men appropriating femininity" or some bigoted crap like that. I knew well enough to back away right there. :P

I suspect that they don't see trans women as real women. It's also possible, sadly that they don't appreciate having their perceived spotlight stolen.

I think that's the sentiment alright. If you watch the video the feminist lady seems quite upset that men get to be called women. Also she seems to not like the idea of some men being called women in case we forget how bad men are.

How are people like these given a platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Eh, every group of any sort has radicals and general lunacy off both ends. Yer wan up there no more speaks for all women (or feminists) any more than Masculinist India represents all men (including the ones that would like more rights in court to their children and for psychologists to take male depression more seriously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Its a mental health issue

These people are sick and need help and support, I feel sorry for them

I think the video proves my point, as mad as a box of frogs

Samaris wrote: »
    Eh, every group of any sort has radicals and general lunacy off both ends. Yer wan up there no more speaks for all women (or feminists) any more than Masculinist India represents all men (including the ones that would like more rights in court to their children and for psychologists to take male depression more seriously).

Unfortunately Sarah Ditum isn't radical at all. Sarah is a writer for the Guardian, the New Statesman and other publications. She's listened to and that's the problem.

Unfortunately Sarah Ditum isn't radical at all. Sarah is a writer for the Guardian, the New Statesman and other publications. She's listened to and that's the problem.

She pushes the marxist agenda. All these marxists worm into positions of powerand spew their agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's incompatible with the gender is a social construct theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Gender critical feminists think that gender is a social construct. Generally the trans movement is saying the opposite, that gender is innate.

They also object to people with functioning penises being allowed into womens spaces.

Also, I hate to say it but there is an awful lot of misogyny present in some aspects of the trans movement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's a definite antagonism among feminists towards transgender people and groups. Germaine Greer has gone on record to opine that trans women are not real women - that they are just men appropriating femininity. This has (rightly IMO) upset trans people.

I don't see why feminists and trans advocates can't live together in harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

e_e wrote: »

Didn't they sing You Get What You Give?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Friend of mine says she is. Then again, he is a surfer.

Drum noise.

Like BLM, they do more damage than good. Although I'd be quite interested in examples of what modern feminism (the crazy kind) has done. Sounds like they make a lot of noise about nothing but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You can be radical and still be influential. Otherwise, anyone with a wacky notion (such as democracy, communism, the Spinning Jenny, any given religion, insert idea here, etcetera) would never get off the ground. Doesn't mean that X particular notion isn't off the wall.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    I don't see why feminists and trans advocates can't live together in harmony.

I don't see why men and women can't live in harmony. Or people of different races. Or fans of Pokemon and fans of Digimon.

Yis are over-simplifying is my point. Beyond race, gender, fandom, religion, hair colour, people is people and there are always nutty* people and dicks. No point taking any single person as "representative of their *whatever**" or you run the risk of over-simplifying any given problem to some random person who shouts louder than the rest at any given moment. Otherwise, I should agree implicitly with anyone with black hair, since mine is black and I, ofc, thus speak for all people with black hair***. Minorities maybe SHOULD support each other, but why would they? Go back to the Civil Rights Movement vs. the Women's Vote movement. Not all women wanted black people to have the vote, not all black people felt that women should have the vote. Black women got screwed regardless. But people are people, as I said before, and we all have our own prejudices and arseholery.

* "Nutty", of course, is Any Position I Don't Agree With :P

**Yes, yes, there's no systematic whateverism against people with black hair, thus we don't bother speaking and don't have a group***, but you get my point.

***I bet somewhere on the internet is a Black Hair Unite group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Feminism isn't at odds with trans rights. A small but noisy subgroup of feminists who also happen to be complete arseholes refuse to accept trans women as "real" women.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nokia69 wrote: »
    Its a mental health issue

These people are sick and need help and support, I feel sorry for them

I think the video proves my point, as mad as a box of frogs

Which people? Women? Feminists? Trans exclusionary rad fems? Trans people?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Feminism isn't at odds with trans rights. A small but noisy subgroup of feminists who also happen to be complete arseholes refuse to accept trans women as "real" women.

It's not just feminists who think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Which people? Women? Feminists? Trans exclusionary rad fems? Trans people?

Most likely the Trans people.

Advertisement