Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordering from amazon

• 11-01-2016 7:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

Anyone have experience in ordering from Amazon?

I ordered a new lens from one of their Japanese resellers and have received a message to say:
    Thanks for choosing Tokyo Shop.
    We would like to let you know shipping information.
    Our supplier inform us that the item will be available by end of January.
    Therefore, we will be able to ship it to you after end of January.
    We will make an effort to reduce delivery time when we get the item.
    We are sorry for your inconvenient.

I'm not in any hurry, but just want to make sure its not some kind of scam...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyone have experience in ordering from Amazon?

I ordered a new lens from one of their Japanese resellers and have received a message to say:

I'm not in any hurry, but just want to make sure its not some kind of scam...?

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Bluefoam wrote: »

It's a 3rd party seller, purchase is neither shipped by nor supported by Amazon. It's basically the same as buying from a random website. You takes your chances. If their business model is the same as millions of other similar places, they keep very little stock themselves, they order stuff themselves when they get orders and ship it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Will the buyer be liable for import taxes and duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

jharr100 wrote: »

Yes, I'd be liable... But I'm living in the middle east & shipping through the states... I'm usually able to convince them to waive the duties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jharr100 wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thewhistler8

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'd like to ask basically the same question but within the EU. This is a bit more strange also. I am aware of the fact that Amazon does not regularly ship alcohol, perfume, tobacco products etc. outside of the UK, however, recently I found a 70cl of Jack Daniels which apparently DOES ship to Ireland. I ordered this with no problems and I'm currently waiting on a dispatch confirmation. I then had a quick look at the customs website just in case, to find out that the excise duty on spirits is a staggering €43/litre. However, another quick search turned up this statement from Amazon regarding customs on the website.

For merchandise dispatched from outside the European Union (EU) to an EU country, the seller is responsible for customs duties, import VAT or other fees. In line with the Participation Agreement, the price of any item sold should be inclusive of any customs, import, export, VAT and excise duty.

I believe that this shipment will come from Germany, meaning it is within the EU. In this case, if I do get asked to pay excise duty, what should I do? Refuse the delivery and demand the seller pays it? The rule seems pretty clear in stating that all of this is the seller's responsibility and not mine.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thewhistler8

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'd like to ask basically the same question but within the EU. This is a bit more strange also. I am aware of the fact that Amazon does not regularly ship alcohol, perfume, tobacco products etc. outside of the UK, however, recently I found a 70cl of Jack Daniels which apparently DOES ship to Ireland. I ordered this with no problems and I'm currently waiting on a dispatch confirmation. I then had a quick look at the customs website just in case, to find out that the excise duty on spirits is a staggering €43/litre. However, another quick search turned up this statement from Amazon regarding customs on the website.

For merchandise dispatched from outside the European Union (EU) to an EU country, the seller is responsible for customs duties, import VAT or other fees. In line with the Participation Agreement, the price of any item sold should be inclusive of any customs, import, export, VAT and excise duty.

I believe that this shipment will come from Germany, meaning it is within the EU. In this case, if I do get asked to pay excise duty, what should I do? Refuse the delivery and demand the seller pays it? The rule seems pretty clear in stating that all of this is the seller's responsibility and not mine.
    Thanks.

EDIT: I've just read the statement again properly and realised it says from OUTSIDE the EU to an EU country, I have also seen that there should be no duty if it is between EU countries, is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I dont think its as risky as any old random online shop, the fact that Amazon are "selling" their products means they need to achieve a certain trust level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I dont think its as risky as any old random online shop, the fact that Amazon are "selling" their products means they need to achieve a certain trust level.

Market place could be you or me selling privately from our own houses.
    If it says fulfilled by Amazon, its stocked by them on my behalf and they look after everything. The seller pays Amazon a fee for that service.

Shipping from outside the EU on amazon marketplace is risky and you're liable for charges.
    Amazon itself ships from inside the EU giving you certain rights as a buyer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement