Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Was walking down town a few days ago and was thinking to myself what a shame it is that the old Dunnes building across from Lifestyle is going to waste. It's probably been said here a million times. I think it'd really liven up that side of town if a store like River Island/New Look etc were to take on the unit.

I have heard before in other towns and cities that Dunnes do hold on to their own buildings for fear that their competitors would get in there and make a quick buck while their backs are turned.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

kerryked wrote: »
    Was walking down town a few days ago and was thinking to myself what a shame it is that the old Dunnes building across from Lifestyle is going to waste. It's probably been said here a million times. I think it'd really liven up that side of town if a store like River Island/New Look etc were to take on the unit.

I have heard before in other towns and cities that Dunnes do hold on to their own buildings for fear that their competitors would get in there and make a quick buck while their backs are turned.. :confused:

When I moved here a couple months ago, one of my first impressions of Tralee was that it had A LOT of vacant buildings. How long has it been like that? I kind of envision the town being on the cusp of a boom. All these spaces and such a diverse and young population. Maybe I'm way the hell off. Someone enlighten me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Zefff wrote: »
    When I moved here a couple months ago, one of my first impressions of Tralee was that it had A LOT of vacant buildings. How long has it been like that? I kind of envision the town being on the cusp of a boom. All these spaces and such a diverse and young population. Maybe I'm way the hell off. Someone enlighten me!

Long story short, Tralee was a town that had a lot of people employed in factories, Amann, Goblin, Denny's, all different and no real links to each other...but when the bubble burst they all folded leaving many people out of work. Emigration, less disposable income by the people who remained, shops closed down... And the fact that we are so far removed from Dublin and that there is no real plan in place by any government or agency to regenerate the region jobswise, we're probably not going to see any real resurgence for a few years yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

High rates on commercial buildings are also an issue. The town is doing a lot better than other towns though! I was in Athy in Co. Kildare last year and it was awful how many empty units there were. Tralee looks so much better in comparison. Slowly things are improving for Tralee town...slowly! A lack of industry here is a big issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kerryked wrote: »

Would be a great place for an indoor market,a mini English market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

When I passed that Dunnes building last week the door had been pushed in a bit from the frame at the side and you could actually see in.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Would be a great place for an indoor market,a mini English market

I have heard inklings that Dunnes are working on a new proposition, perhaps a more upmarket supermarket like Waitrose, and are considering using some of their vacant premises to trial the concept. It is also quite possible that this building will be used as they expand their new Cafe Sol business.

Quackster wrote: »
    I have heard inklings that Dunnes are working on a new proposition, perhaps a more upmarket supermarket like Waitrose, and are considering using some of their vacant premises to trial the concept. It is also quite possible that this building will be used as they expand their new Cafe Sol business.

They closed the timepiece restaurant in north circular road about a fortnight ago would they really want to be getting into this so soon afterwards? I agree the fare is different, but it's not like Tralee is short of places to eat

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    High rates on commercial buildings are also an issue. The town is doing a lot better than other towns though! I was in Athy in Co. Kildare last year and it was awful how many empty units there were. Tralee looks so much better in comparison. Slowly things are improving for Tralee town...slowly! A lack of industry here is a big issue though.

That's not really like for like. Imo, Athy only has Shaws, every other shop is replicated all around the county. Tralee offers much much more.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

beertons wrote: »
    That's not really like for like. Imo, Athy only has Shaws, every other shop is replicated all around the county. Tralee offers much much more.

Unoccupied commercial buildings are subject to 50% rates now too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

beertons wrote: »

I didn't say it was like for like, I was saying I couldn't believe how bad Athy was when we were there. Obviously its a much smaller town etc and we have a lot more to offer...My point was, there are many other towns suffering a lot worse than Tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    They closed the timepiece restaurant in north circular road about a fortnight ago would they really want to be getting into this so soon afterwards? I agree the fare is different, but it's not like Tralee is short of places to eat

Always felt that restaurant in NCR was very canteen like. I think I ate there once only when it first opened and it didnt appear to have moved with the times since. Saying that, it would be handy to have a Cafe Sol type kiosk or something. Dunnes bought that coffee chain recently so maybe that's the plan.

I hadn't even noticed that was closed. I'm usually shopping there in the evening, so it is closed then, but anytime I was there during the day, it was always very quiet.

Here's a random question. What's with the little pieces of moss/organic debris always on the sidewalks? Does it come from the gutters? The street cleaner? Funny, the things someone from away will notice! haha

Here's a random question. What's with the little pieces of moss/organic debris always on the sidewalks? Does it come from the gutters? The street cleaner? Funny, the things someone from away will notice! haha

Its probably from the eave-shoots on the buildings or the roof tiles. The birds tend to pick them off!

Its probably from the eave-shoots on the buildings or the roof tiles. The birds tend to pick them off!

Ah yeah. I thought of that too. Thanks for confirming such a triviality! There are many more fascinating questions where that came from, but I'll save them for more fun times later!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Anyone know where I could get an exhaust welded around tralee ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Pirates Ale

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get an exhaust welded around tralee ?

Heinrich's in Rock Street might be able to help, they are in by the side of Horans fruit and veg.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/heinrich-werner-engineering-ltd-tralee/1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Any word on Bryan Coopers home coming this evening? Gonna head over for it but have no idea what to expect

dobman88 wrote: »
    Any word on Bryan Coopers home coming this evening? Gonna head over for it but have no idea what to expect

It's probably a bit late now but here's the info
    http://traleetoday.ie/bryan-cooper-bringing-gold-cup-blennerville-thursday/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is there anything interesting happening over the weekend for commemorations of the the Rising?

siblers wrote: »
    Is there anything interesting happening over the weekend for commemorations of the the Rising?

There's a commemoration Sunday at 12.30pm gathering at the square & marching to Rath cemetery. There's also one at 11am in Pearse park.

The Museum is also having something
    11235282_959721074077087_6562899753734926550_n.png?oh=6390eb90ef19b64b1e6038db38f450bc&oe=5794E4D3

Yeah that's where I saw it earlier. Was wondering if anyone here had more local knowledge.

Went back there anyway. Great turn out. Big spread of food. Looks like a great night was in store. We had to leave but delighted to meet Bryan and congratulate him, and thank him ;) . Seems like a nice man. Took photos with everyone who asked and he made sure all the kids that came out got their pictures so was great to see.

Not sure if many here drink there but we stopped off at Stokers Lodge for a pint on the way home the other night. Always pass it going to soccer games but never had the opportunity to stop before. Nice little pub and the lads working/running it were sound too. Seemed like a nice local pub. Would return again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

siblers wrote: »

Check the Kerry Co Co website, it lists everything that is on throughout the year. They have also published the schedule in booklet form, you can pick it up in the tourist office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not sure if many here drink there but we stopped off at Stokers Lodge for a pint on the way home the other night. Always pass it going to soccer games but never had the opportunity to stop before. Nice little pub and the lads working/running it were sound too. Seemed like a nice local pub. Would return again.

Its a good place to meet up people with the food options as well. Decent seating options.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Has anyone walked the "Kerry Camino Way", I know it starts in Tonevane by the equestrian center, but where does it come out in Camp ?
    I want to start in Camp and walk back to Tralee, how long would it take ? is it a rough path all the way ? up down or pretty level along the way?

I've deleted those posts, especially as the young girl was named and it's unfair to her. I've also deleted the replies etc. Lets leave it now please & thanks. MOD

I've deleted those posts as the young girl was named and it's unfair to her. MOD

Perhaps delete all the replies too so as not to cause any ill feelings between boardsies?

• Advertisement

Perhaps delete all the replies too so as not to cause any ill feelings between boardsies?

Done...

Advertisement