Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Looks like there is some work going on in the closed down bakery on Rock Street. Wonder if anything interesting is gong to be opening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

It's opening as an Italian Deli.
    Italian couple who previously ran a restaurant in Italy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Anyone know what is going into the old Gem unit near the Abbey? seems like some sort of French shop or deli maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

there's a little bit of hype surrounding that Old Gem shop, hope it delivers something good :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Lots of activity so around that quarter. The mess of a building across from the gem (was minstrels bar donkeys years ago) is to be demolished and a new guest house to arise in its place..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

The town is slowly bouncing back, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Does anyone know what this thing on Day Place is?

I'd hazzard a guess that it was a gated community/street and that was a gate into it, with the bollard to stop horses coming through?

Yes, that’s a likely explanation. The railings date to 1795 and are preserved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There will be some family fun in the Mall next Saturday, 20th, to celebrate the newly opened Mall area, between 2pm-5pm. https://www.facebook.com/traleetoday/posts/1987346648206133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Does anyone know what this thing on Day Place is?

where that railing is is the boundary of those properties and beyond the boundary was a river! so you might be looking at an old gateway out to the riverbank.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sheesh wrote: »
    where that railing is is the boundary of those properties and beyond the boundary was a river! so you might be looking at an old gateway out to the riverbank.

I think by the time those houses were built, the river had been covered over as far as the Dominican church. This is why the buildings beyond the church step back - to allow for a wider street with an open river in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Anyone know if the clobber is back?

Dunno about the clobber 😀, but the cobbler down the lane beside the snackery was there one day about two weeks ago but I went there another day last week and it was closed. It was just after 9am, so I might have been early...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Anyone know if the clobber is back?

Yes he's back. Wednesday is his day off.

Thanks Quackster,

This question was posed here http://listowelconnection.blogspot.ie/2015/03/tralee-schoolboys-photo-revisited-and.html

"Have you ever noticed the gate about half way down the railing in front of the houses at Day Place? Well, the wrought-iron railings on cut limestone plinth with iron bollard to gate were put in place around 1800 to separate the front area of the houses from the river which at the time still flowed over ground along what is now the road. The opening was for access to the river.

Princes' St. was known as Princes' Quay as the Big River flowed through it. The river was used at high tide to bring small boats up to the Dominican Abbey which stood where the Abbey Car Park is today.The Dominicans were originally situated at Abbey St. until the last prior, Thaddeus Moriarty was arrested and hanged in Killarney in 1653 by Cromwell's soldiers. In 1864 the Dominicans moved to to their present site. They had a school at No.1 Day Place from 1862 to 1910, called the Jeffers Institute.

Day Place was built in 1805 by Judge Robert Day. The residents had direct access to the river through a gateway in the railings...this is still to be seen today. Ozanam house was the home of Fr. Paul O'Sullivan who established a men's club called "The Tralee Catholic Library Society (T.C.L.S.), also still to be seen today.

Staughton's Row got its name from a family who were large landlords in North Kerry."

No 1 Day Place became Hawneys Hotel where Frank Chamberlain son of British PM stayed when a bomb was detonated to the rear in 1939. (Historical Tralee and surrounds FB Page)

RevBJ

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Interesting. It would also explain why the houses are stepped back from the current main street too. The open river along Godfrey Place mustn't have lasted too long after Day Place was built though. It was certainly covered over by the 1840's up to just beyond the Dominican church as seen here: http://bit.ly/2FQIYP3

Just to be clear, Prince's St/Quay is the name of the street only from the junction with Ivy Terrance onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://traleetoday.ie/brogue-inn-mjs-diner-expand-creating-many-new-jobs/

Good jobs news although I'm trying to understand how the Brogue can physically expand unless they purchase neighbouring property? I wonder what food theme their planned 3rd restaurant will go for?

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://traleetoday.ie/brogue-inn-mjs-diner-expand-creating-many-new-jobs/

Good jobs news although I'm trying to understand how the Brogue can physically expand unless they purchase neighbouring property? I wonder what food theme their planned 3rd restaurant will go for?

They bought the old Shindig building near shaws which will be turned into a bar & bistro.

I see that there's an Italian pizzeria/restaurant opening in Rock street (where there was a bakery recently). I didn't quite see what the name on it was. Anyone know? or know when its opening?

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I see that there's an Italian pizzeria/restaurant opening in Rock street (where there was a bakery recently). I didn't quite see what the name on it was. Anyone know? or know when its opening?

I can't remember the name. Something Amore. I spoke to them yesterday. Hoping to open next week sometime. It's an Italian Deli which will also do speciality coffee I think. Nice Decor inside.

anyone know why Shaw's was closed early/all day yesterday?

bobdcow wrote:
    anyone know why Shaw's was closed early/all day yesterday?

Renovations. A rake of skips out the back near cop shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

The sign on the door said it was closed for stocktaking for the day, the one day I was downtown this week!

Forge83 wrote: »
    I can't remember the name. Something Amore. I spoke to them yesterday. Hoping to open next week sometime. It's an Italian Deli which will also do speciality coffee I think. Nice Decor inside.

Oh I thought it was a pizzeria. Hope they do ok, seems a bit far up town for a deli.

There is also some sort of French shop opening next to the sports supplement shop, near Sean Og’s. I can’t work out if it’s a deli or wha!?

Oh I thought it was a pizzeria. Hope they do ok, seems a bit far up town for a deli.

There is also some sort of French shop opening next to the sports supplement shop, near Sean Og’s. I can’t work out if it’s a deli or wha!?

They do pizza too I think. It's a bit far up alright. I'm sure people will give it a try once, if it's good enough people will return.
    Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Some movie being filmed down in the Abbey car park today - anyone know any more details?

kerryked wrote: »
    Some movie being filmed down in the Abbey car park today - anyone know any more details?

Saw it today, but I still don’t know what it’s for. I noticed they had put a sign over the charity shop saying ‘Bank of Kerry’ and they had frosted over the windows.Saw a few guys dressed as Gardai too. Interesting to see some filming like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Saw it today, but I still don’t know what it’s for. I noticed they had put a sign over the charity shop saying ‘Bank of Kerry’ and they had frosted over the windows.Saw a few guys dressed as Gardai too. Interesting to see some filming like it here.

Must be a fictional comedy so as there is no money in Kerry........

• Advertisement

I happened to see in the KDYS a note on the wall said that an American Director and Irish Film crew would be in town for 3 days filming - they didn't say what but they were looking for locals as extras for the few days 40-50 people

Advertisement