Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Will any of the big supermarkets be open at any stage tomorrow [Friday] or is it lockdown for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

acequion wrote: »
    Will any of the big supermarkets be open at any stage tomorrow [Friday] or is it lockdown for the day?

Take it as lockdown, Dunnes are closed for the day, Aldi were going to open at 5 today... but with the weather alert out until 6... probably won't...can't see Tesco opening, Manor shut completely yesterday and was to open at 1 today .. but again, that was before the weather alert was pushed out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

acequion wrote: »

Oakland’s shop in Oakpark are open this morning, as are Applegreen in Fairies cross. I read that Garveys SuperValu are going to open at 3pm, but that could change. Dunnes & Tesco’s closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Oakland’s shop in Oakpark are open this morning, as are Applegreen in Fairies cross. I read that Garveys SuperValu are going to open at 3pm, but that could change. Dunnes & Tesco’s closed.

Thanks guys. I see a fair few cars going up and down the Caherslee road and some people out and about. Only so much you can take of this lockdown!

I see there's a snowball fight being organised down the town park at 1.30....could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Snow has melted quite a bit, and a good few more smaller local shops open around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

We're not getting any mention on the news as Tralee seems to have got off fairly lightly compared to the rest of the country.

T.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

TigerTim wrote: »
    We're not getting any mention on the news as Tralee seems to have got off fairly lightly compared to the rest of the country.

T.

As Seán Mac an tSíthigh is based in Dingle, his reports from Kerry tend to be very much focused on Corca Dhuibhne.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Siro broadband is down again in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

TigerTim wrote: »

T.

I'm still snowed in up in Kielduff, probably will be stuck here tomorrow also.

• Advertisement

Popped into Lidl a while ago. It was like a scene from a post-apocalyptic movie! They may as well turn off all their fridges to save a few cent.

Papers didn't make it to Tralee today either. :(

Hope ye'all have plenty of bread and milk!

Siro broadband is down again in Tralee.

Delighted I'm still on 'old-fashioned' VDSL. A lot more reliable than Siro, at least in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Quackster wrote: »
    Popped into Lidl a while ago. It was like a scene from a post-apocalyptic movie! They may as well turn off all their fridges to save a few cent.

Papers didn't make it to Tralee today either. :(

Hope ye'all have plenty of bread and milk!

Aldi (by McD's) was the same earlier, you would have to think there was an element of panic buying :rolleyes:
    Plenty of Milk there at that stage, and a delivery was due at 5 ish.

Was just into Aldi in JJ Sheehy road ..that delivery was supposed to be in by 2, it's been pushed back until 5 and may not come at all ..milk was going off the shelf quicker than it was going up :D
    Veg was gone...bar garlic and green peppers...same with the chill fridges, no real meat left

Quackster wrote: »
    Delighted I'm still on 'old-fashioned' VDSL. A lot more reliable than Siro, at least in Tralee.

We were far from delighted! We made a huge mistake changing to Siro in work. Our card payment machine runs off wifi so it causes us big problems if it goes down. We need to look into getting out of the contract. Fed up of it now.

Was just into Aldi in JJ Sheehy road ..that delivery was supposed to be I'm by 2, it's been pushed back until 5 and may not come at all ..milk was going off the shelf quicker than it was going up :D
    Veg was gone...bar garlic and green peppers...same with the chill fridges, no real meat left

We decided to postpone shopping until tomorrow, so hopefully there will be a bit in stock by then. I got stuff Thursday morning in Tesco which has kept us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Is Heatons actually closing down? First I heard of it was the amount of signs labelled as such advertising 20% off everything in store today - I hope it's temporary, to facilitate renovations and such. It'd be awful to lose such a large shop in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I believe it's being taken over by Sports World, or whatever sports shop is on the top floor.

Is Heatons actually closing down? First I heard of it was the amount of signs labelled as such advertising 20% off everything in store today - I hope it's temporary, to facilitate renovations and such. It'd be awful to lose such a large shop in town.

They were bought more than a year ago by Sports direct ..so technically they are closing down...it's going to be 3 floors of sports direct... depends how long it takes to sell of the stock for the full changeover to happen.

Closing in six weeks is what I've been told. Discounts should get progressively steeper as the weeks go by to clear stock. All staff will remain on when it reopens as Sports Direct after refurbishment.

Before taking full ownership in 2016, Sports Direct had a 50% stake in Heatons for a good few years. Much of what Heatons sells is also sold in Sports Direct stores (various clothing brands owned by Sports Direct) so the change won't be as dramatic as some think. The main change will be the lack of a homewares department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Thanks for the info everyone, some clarity would be good from Heatons themselves instead of people thinking the store could be gone.

Thanks for the info everyone, some clarity would be good from Heatons themselves instead of people thinking the store could be gone.

Tbf, it was announced a long time ago that it was happening... but they had to buy out the restaurant...and they held firm ;)
    Xmas came and that pushed it back...it was supposed to happen 3-4 weeks ago and was cancelled..and then a week after...and when the staff arrived in this weekend...bang! Reduce the lot.
    Not quite sure why everything on the ground floor is being reduced..some of it is actually Sports direct stock...kangol luggage etc...maybe they are going to start completely from scratch....will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Adiboo wrote: »
    I believe it's being taken over by Sports World, or whatever sports shop is on the top floor.

Sports Direct.

Tbf, it was announced a long time ago that it was happening... but they had to buy out the restaurant...and they held firm ;)
    Xmas came and that pushed it back...it was supposed to happen 3-4 weeks ago and was cancelled..and then a week after...and when the staff arrived in this weekend...bang! Reduce the lot.
    Not quite sure why everything on the ground floor is being reduced..some of it is actually Sports direct stock...kangol luggage etc...maybe they are going to start completely from scratch....will be interesting to see.

One of the notices says 20% Off Heatons stock. Not really a huge discount!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    One of the notices says 20% Off Heatons stock. Not really a huge discount!

Some items are discounted already.
    Got a stamp that was marked €8 for 1.60

Some items are discounted already.
    Got a stamp that was marked €8 for 1.60

I must have a look I’m there during the week. Handy to get a few kids clothes while they are discounted.

Anyone in the Oakpark area or who passes by there most evenings, have you noticed that there are quite a few street lights not working? I live in the area and spotted a lot, and took down the pole numbers while out walking. I reported them both via fixyourstreet.ie and the Airtricity utility web page. This was months & months ago & they haven’t fixed any. There is a serious lack of street light maintenance in the town and even when reported they still do nothing. It’s a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

^^^^^

Its the ESB I think u would have to get onto aboit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Its the ESB I think u would have to get onto aboit them.

Nope, KCC are responsible for maintenance of most street lighting. Private estates not taken over by KCC are one exception.
    If the council won't pay for the upkeep, contrary to opinion, the ESB or Airtricity or any other contractor for that matter aren't the problem...
    ESB as far as I'm aware are responsible for lights on timber poles but it's the County Council that must be contacted in any event..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/report-it/

Forms here for reporting faulty street lamps.

Advertisement