Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can't believe a fine Georgian home in Day Place only going for 120k. You wouldn't even be able to buy a tiny 1 bed apartment in Dublin for that!!

https://touch.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/tralee/6-day-place-tralee-kerry-1679855

No doubt there is a lot of refurbishment to be done in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Quackster wrote: »
    They have to get planning first though. Costa was refused permission by the council for an outlet in Manor but they won on appeal to ABP. Would expect construction on that to start imminently.

Having said that, the ABP decision on Costa suggests that Starbucks will get planning, as long as there is adequate parking available in the vicinity and the extra traffic movements generated wouldn't be considered a hazard.

Starbucks don’t worry about something as trivial as planning permission.

http://www.thejournal.ie/starbucks-no-planning-permission-2-3891623-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    No doubt there is a lot of refurbishment to be done in there.

The cost of refurbishing it to a habitable condition will probably amount to double the purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Damokc wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the purchase of the old Goblin/kerryman site? Just somebody boosting their portfolio or something more interesting I wonder?
    http://traleetoday.ie/former-goblin-the-kerryman-site-in-clash-sold/

Hopefully they'll do something with it. A lot of that area is very run down now and you would hope that access onto the by-pass might make it attractive for redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Passing Heatons and big closing down sale notices with a notice also saying store will be renovated in April and reopen as a combined Sports Direct/USC/Brand Max store.

They already have one like this near the Spire in Dublin. USC does non sporting branded clothing like Firetrap, G-star and Brand Max is similar to TK Maxx, designer style clothing and homeware at discounted prices.

I'm glad it's not just going to be a sports only store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

ongarboy wrote: »
    Passing Heatons and big closing down sale notices with a notice also saying store will be renovated in April and reopen as a combined Sports Direct/USC/Brand Max store.

They already have one like this near the Spire in Dublin. USC does non sporting branded clothing like Firetrap, G-star and Brand Max is similar to TK Maxx, designer style clothing and homeware at discounted prices.

I'm glad it's not just going to be a sports only store.

Speaking of TK Maxx, I've noticed of late that their "discount" prices on Tommy Hilfiger and similar brands are more expensive than buying in the branded stores in places like Kildare village

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Radio5 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll do something with it. A lot of that area is very run down now and you would hope that access onto the by-pass might make it attractive for redevelopment.

There was a rumour ages ago that Boyles were buying it and having a big hardware/home store there like their one in Killorglin. It made sense alright given that their existing yard backs onto it.
    You would imagine they would have a deal done long before now though.

That shop in Shanakill looks like it's open again or about to open and is called Ger's Place if I read it correctly driving by. Seems it does hot food, breakfasts etc per the sign. Will do well while the Spar in Monavalley remains shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/triple-rapist-free-to-roam-streets-after-being-released-early-from-prison-36766576.html

Might be worth keeping an eye on esp if he's looking to relocate down this direction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was in Manor this afternoon & was wondering why there’s no fencing along the river in the middle of the retail park. There’s very low hedging and a big drop down. Surely they should have a bit more safety there. I could also see a lot of rubbish down towards the water. There are loads of loose & broken bricks on their roundabout which have been like that for a long time. The whole retail park is badly laid out and there was a good few street lights not working for ages around the place. You would think that the new owners of the park would have done a bit more with it, epecially after that woman died there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

The cost of refurbishing it to a habitable condition will probably amount to double the purchase price.

Maybe a 'Listed Building' so new roof & windows might be 150k, before you even touch anything inside (heating, structural steel, complete inside works another 200k easy) + sale price 120 + 50+k fees. Say 550k for town house with daily bells in your ear.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/triple-rapist-free-to-roam-streets-after-being-released-early-from-prison-36766576.html

Might be worth keeping an eye on esp if he's looking to relocate down this direction.

Link not working

Huas anyone noticed that the fairies cross junction & Brewery road were only patched up after the road was dug up while doing that pipe work. They could have at least resurfaced an already in bad condition road! I noticed yesterday that they also just barely fixed any of the white lines & road markings. Some are newly done, but if you look, they have just done little fill ins in places & left the rest faded! Talk about a half arsed job!
    There are still potholes outside applegreen, although thankfully that bad patch outside the school was fixed.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Huas anyone noticed that the fairies cross junction & Brewery road were only patched up after the road was dug up while doing that pipe work. They could have at least resurfaced an already in bad condition road! I noticed yesterday that they also just barely fixed any of the white lines & road markings. Some are newly done, but if you look, they have just done little fill ins in places & left the rest faded! Talk about a half arsed job!
    There are still potholes outside applegreen, although thankfully that bad patch outside the school was fixed.

When a road or footpath is dug up for the laying of services, the utility company (in this case Irish Water) is only required to properly reinstate what was dug up, rather than doing a complete resurfacing.

The council, alas, wouldn't have access to any extra funding to do a better job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Particularly since the Irish Water works on the Listowel Road, I've really been noticing the poor condition of many stretches of Tralee roads (problems being any combination of potholes, rutted or being in rough condition). Off the top of my head:

* Fairies cross area;
    * Brewery Road;
    * The stretch of road from the North Circular Road Dunnes Stores roundabout heading towards the railway station;
    * a number of patches between the hospital and the council HQ;
    * a stretch alongside the new Lidl and main Post Office
    * the traffic lights junction coming from Bella Bia and turning left towards the Brandon;
    * a number of damaging potholes on the Listowel Road when approaching the traffic lights where you can make a turn onto Killeen Road

Did anyone hear anything about SuperMacs going into the new service station next to Aldi? Not sure if it’s true or just rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Yep, heard its part of set up. Similar to the fitout in the reeks in Killarney..

• Advertisement

I know some people are mad for Supermacs but I can't see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

g1983d wrote: »
    I know some people are mad for Supermacs but I can't see the appeal.

Best chicken breast burgers and quarter pounders from any chain. They always taste fresh, not frozen. I’ve only been a fan until they changed to the fresh produce in the last couple of years.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Best chicken breast burgers and quarter pounders from any chain. They always taste fresh, not frozen. I’ve only been a fan until they changed to the fresh produce in the last couple of years.

May give them a go when they open so, didn't realise they'd changed things up

Passing there this evening and they had a banner saying Corrib Oil and Spar opening soon and were hiring. No mention of Supermacs. The 2 structures already built look really large so maybe there are several shops and restaurants going in there?

https://www.corriboil.com/job/deli-chef-cook-required-tralee-co-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Did anyone hear anything about SuperMacs going into the new service station next to Aldi? Not sure if it’s true or just rumours.

Is that Aldi's on John Joe Sheehy rd?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Is that Aldi's on John Joe Sheehy rd?

Yeah, the Corrib Service station going in next to it. I had heard a few rumours that SuperMacs was going in but as someone else mentioned, it only seems to be Spar advertising for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Was there really a need for another service station it's only going to affect the other stations around it.

Was there really a need for another service station it's only going to affect the other stations around it.

Aiming to grab all the customers from Lidl and Aldi I guess

Yeah, not needed when there’s one less than 500 yards away! Plus the traffic there is going to be worse than ever!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nope, definitely not needed at all but that's not a valid reason to refuse planning.

Advertisement