Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When was the last time anyone here could say they ate at Viva Burg? 1990s??? Sad to see a former institution go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Yeah, I'd say 1998 was the last time I ate there after a good Tuesday night in Horan's :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    When was the last time anyone here could say they ate at Viva Burg? 1990s??? Sad to see a former institution go though!

I have got take away from there a few times in the past couple of years. Food is still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I have got take away from there a few times in the past couple of years. Food is still good.
    It is, the last time I was in there was late last year and we ate in there, we both remarked that the place needed updating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed that the old Allegro/Gaudino restaurant unit in Castle Street has been leased & work on it started. I wonder what’s opening in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I saw construction workers inside the old Carmel's bargain store on Rock Street at the weekend too. Tralee town centre won't have a vacant unit left at this rate....apart from the Tralee Shopping Centre and old Dunnes unit of course......

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I saw construction workers inside the old Carmel's bargain store on Rock Street at the weekend too. Tralee town centre won't have a vacant unit left at this rate....apart from the Tralee Shopping Centre and old Dunnes unit of course......

If the courthouse does relocate to the old Denny site (and I very much hope that it does), it should be a good boost for that area of town - hopefully including Pembroke St too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Quackster wrote: »
    If the courthouse does relocate to the old Denny site (and I very much hope that it does), it should be a good boost for that area of town - hopefully including Pembroke St too.

You'd be in a very small minority there, it would be horrific to have the courthouse down there.... brings absolutely nothing to the area.
    Under the current conditions of the planning, I don't think it is a runner anyways

I noticed that the old Allegro/Gaudino restaurant unit in Castle Street has been leased & work on it started. I wonder what’s opening in there.

Yet another restaurant or coffee shop more than likely!

Anyone know whats going on in that corner near Southdoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

http://traleetoday.ie/contract-signed-for-21-new-housing-units-at-killeen/

It's the beginnings of new housing for the elderly and those with special needs.

• Advertisement

http://traleetoday.ie/contract-signed-for-21-new-housing-units-at-killeen/

It's the beginnings of new housing for the elderly and those with special needs.

Thanks for that, had no idea.

Ned o Shea has some amount of building done his time!

You'd be in a very small minority there, it would be horrific to have the courthouse down there.... brings absolutely nothing to the area.
    Under the current conditions of the planning, I don't think it is a runner anyways

Not so sure about that. The only objections I've heard so far are purely selfish ones - from the fat-arsed solicitors whose offices are near the current courthouse (obviously too lazy to have to walk a more substantial distance) and understandably from businesses in the immediate vicinity who would suffer a consequential loss of business.

Any loss of business in one area of the town centre would be balanced by an increase in business in another area so the net economic impact on the town centre as-a-whole would be neutral. The only other viable alternative is the courthouse moving outside the town centre (as there are no other viable town-centre sites) which really would be a disaster.

Considering the council has no money to develop the site itself and would have to engage in a public-private partnership, I'd love to hear what feasible alternative use besides a new courthouse (and potentially new Garda station) fit for the people of the town and county would be? More retail units and apartments like that yoke built on the old council-owned car park beside Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Courthouse would be the most sensible and practical idea but then again Tralee never did that!

BTW, there are no 'conditions of the planning' preventing development of a courthouse on the site. It's zoned 'town-centre' and a courthouse would be acceptable development on such a site.

I'm sure there were conditions attached to the deed of transfer to the effect that the site has to be used to the benefit of the people of Tralee. It's not hard to argue that a courthouse fit for the 2020s and beyond would meet that criterion - particularly if it involves keeping the current courthouse building in public ownership for use as a public arts space etc.

Not so sure about that. The only objections I've heard so far are purely selfish ones - from the fat-arsed solicitors whose offices are near the current courthouse (obviously too lazy to have to walk a more substantial distance) and understandably from businesses in the immediate vicinity who would suffer a consequential loss of business.

Any loss of business in one area of the town centre would be balanced by an increase in business in another area so the net economic impact on the town centre as-a-whole would be neutral. The only other viable alternative is the courthouse moving outside the town centre (as there are no other viable town-centre sites) which really would be a disaster.

Considering the council has no money to develop the site itself and would have to engage in a public-private partnership, I'd love to hear what feasible alternative use besides a new courthouse (and potentially new Garda station) fit for the people of the town and county would be? More retail units and apartments like that yoke built on the old council-owned car park beside Tesco?

Absolutely no support from local business, it's a waste of a wonderful opportunity to develop the centre of town....a courthouse offers nothing I'm afraid. Prime development area that will be wasted.
    There are numerous conditions that have been attached to the development, and a courthouse doesn't fulfill them.

Absolutely no support from local business, it's a waste of a wonderful opportunity to develop the centre of town....a courthouse offers nothing I'm afraid. Prime development area that will be wasted.
    There are numerous conditions that have been attached to the development, and a courthouse doesn't fulfill them.

What 'wonderful opportunity' though and where will the funding come from? As a site, I'm afraid it's nothing special, apart from its size. How is building a much-needed new courthouse a waste of such a site? That's a genuinely baffling statement.

Having a new courthouse co-located with the Garda station would be of genuine benefit to the town. Would you rather the courthouse on the outskirts of town?

As for believing there are any legal obstacles to a courthouse being built on the site, you're absolutely wrong there. Even if the council doesn't play ball, the state can effectively CPO the site from the council.

What 'wonderful opportunity' though and where will the funding come from? As a site, I'm afraid it's nothing special, apart from its size. How is building a much-needed new courthouse a waste of such a site? That's a genuinely baffling statement.

Having a new courthouse co-located with the Garda station would be of genuine benefit to the town. Would you rather the courthouse on the outskirts of town?

As for believing there are any legal obstacles to a courthouse being built on the site, you're absolutely wrong there. Even if the council doesn't play ball, the state can effectively CPO the site from the council.

KCC and Reddys architecture have drawn up proposals for the site, this was from proposals that came from the public during a consultancy period....any attempt at a CPO would be foolhardy... having a Garda station and a courthouse next door to each other is totally irrelevant, it doesn't happen in any major city in Ireland and to suggest it would be if benefit is frankly bordering on ludicrous.
    KCC will have to be seen to consider the proposal... but it has no real merit... sorry, but it can't happen IMO.
    We'll revisit this again after June 12 as I believe there are more discussions to be held, and things may become clearer.

ok so what would you like to see there and more importantly whats going to pay for it? A courthouse offers a vital service , prime development land for what ?

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    ok so what would you like to see there and more importantly whats going to pay for it? A courthouse offers a vital service , prime development land for what ?

The court services are themselves on record as saying that Ballymullen barracks are their preferred site and have gotten a valuation from the department.

The court services are themselves on record as saying that Ballymullen barracks are their preferred site and have gotten a valuation from the department.

That was before the Denny site came into play.

It will be interesting to see how the local councillors line up for/against the proposal.

One thing's for sure though, for the council executive, it would solve the major headache of where funding to develop the site will come from. So much so that I'd be reasonably confident that the initiative on this came with KCC approaching the Courts Service rather than the other way around.

And that wouldn't have happened if there were any legal obstacles to the proposal.

• Advertisement

I was literally about to ask the same question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Why not put the courthouse in that big idle lump of a centrepoint Lee Strand building? The greatest waste of space the town has ever seen.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Why not put the courthouse in that big idle lump of a centrepoint Lee Strand building? The greatest waste of space the town has ever seen.

Think they had a floor of it for family courts years ago but rumor at the time was there was a problem with the fire chief , not going to say what exactly but perhaps thats the reason its being idle for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

xxyyzz wrote: »

Not idle anymore, just needs to be cleaned, was recently purchased from Lee Strand and tenants ready to go.
    There have been tenants in there for the last few years too who are remaining.

Anyone remember the road outside it on the train station side used to be 3 lane until the building canalised the footpath, the council then put the new footpath on the lane nearest the building reducing it to 2 lane?

g1983d wrote: »
    Not idle anymore, just needs to be cleaned, was recently purchased from Lee Strand and tenants ready to go.
    There have been tenants in there for the last few years too who are remaining.

Anyone remember the road outside it on the train station side used to be 3 lane until the building canalised the footpath, the council then put the new footpath on the lane nearest the building reducing it to 2 lane?

Remember it well, it would be normal in a case like that (i would imagine) as a condition of planning for the council to demand some ground from the developer to make the junction bigger, but No, our lads actually lose a lane to the development..

There’s work going on in Slatts carpark in the disused piece of land. There is planning for some retail units there, so maybe the planning was approved?

It seems a very narrow strip of land for a building to go. Unless some spaces will be lost in the carpark to make room for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The current owner is a sound guy, but I'd say the business has been struggling for a while now

You don't see a crowd in there. And he makes the effort with the fiver friday. Nice chap.

Last Friday :)

KCC and Reddys architecture have drawn up proposals for the site, this was from proposals that came from the public during a consultancy period....any attempt at a CPO would be foolhardy... having a Garda station and a courthouse next door to each other is totally irrelevant, it doesn't happen in any major city in Ireland and to suggest it would be if benefit is frankly bordering on ludicrous.
    KCC will have to be seen to consider the proposal... but it has no real merit... sorry, but it can't happen IMO.
    We'll revisit this again after June 12 as I believe there are more discussions to be held, and things may become clearer.

Clondalkin prison has a courthouse attached. So its not unique.

• Advertisement

There’s work going on in Slatts carpark in the disused piece of land. There is planning for some retail units there, so maybe the planning was approved?

It seems a very narrow strip of land for a building to go. Unless some spaces will be lost in the carpark to make room for it?

A certain councillor is involved in that..and also pushing for demolition of a building at the base of that laneway...so traffic can turn up there and access Lidl more easily :rolleyes:

Advertisement