Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

kn wrote: »
    Clondalkin prison has a courthouse attached. So its not unique.

Clover hill? ...you mean a prison in one of the most disadvantaged areas in Ireland with a monumental crime rate has a courthouse beside it's prison....
    Where's the Garda station... which is what we were discussing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A certain councillor is involved in that..and also pushing for demolition of a building at the base of that laneway...so traffic can turn up there and access Lidl more easily :rolleyes:

That would be good. Or make it one way, but it’s a joke at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That would be good. Or make it one way, but it’s a joke at the minute.

Has to be one way... having a right turn off Boherbee would be chaotic...same as having a left turn from the lights at castle at into st John's church...there are 2 signs on the road showing it's not allowed. Yet people still donut and back traffic back up to Denny st, esp at peak times

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has to be one way... having a right turn off Boherbee would be chaotic...same as having a left turn from the lights at castle at into st John's church...there are 2 signs on the road showing it's not allowed. Yet people still donut and back traffic back up to Denny st, esp at peak times

Something definitely needs to be done. No reason why they can’t make it one way. It’s crazy at the moment. Used as a shortcut & then cars trying to turn into lane with another coming towards them. Cracks me up.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A certain councillor is involved in that..and also pushing for demolition of a building at the base of that laneway...so traffic can turn up there and access Lidl more easily :rolleyes:

That corner building is in the ownership of KCC and is likely to be demolished as part of the overall enhancement of Slatt's Lane when the Slatt's Lane Masterplan is finally agreed and implemented.

As for the proposed development of that site, planning was rightfully refused recently on the grounds of traffic hazard, inadequate parking and the fact that developing those long narrow strips of land individually compromises the development potential realised by amalgamating them - which is an objective of the current draft municipal area development plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Why not put the courthouse in that big idle lump of a centrepoint Lee Strand building? The greatest waste of space the town has ever seen.
    A friend of mine who works in the HSE says a primary healthcare centre is taking up most of the vacant space in the Lee Strand building. Flynn Construction have the contract for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ongarboy wrote: »
    A friend of mine who works in the HSE says a primary healthcare centre is taking up most of the vacant space in the Lee Strand building. Flynn Construction have the contract for it.

That would be even better than a courthouse if it takes some of the strain off the A&E.

Quackster wrote: »
    That corner building is in the ownership of KCC and is likely to be demolished as part of the overall enhancement of Slatt's Lane when the Slatt's Lane Masterplan is finally agreed and implemented.

As for the proposed development of that site, planning was rightfully refused recently on the grounds of traffic hazard, inadequate parking and the fact that developing those long narrow strips of land individually compromises the development potential realised by amalgamating them - which is an objective of the current draft municipal area development plan.

I was thinking it would be refused. I park there regularly and I cannot see how anything could be built on that strip of land! I knew the council bought that house on the corner, they bought a good few years ago now. They definitely need to widen it, but I still think it should be left one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Clover hill? ...you mean a prison in one of the most disadvantaged areas in Ireland with a monumental crime rate has a courthouse beside it's prison....
    Where's the Garda station... which is what we were discussing

The Bridewell Garda Station in Dublin is directly behind the Four Courts building where criminal cases were dealt with up until the Courts of Justice opened at Parkgate St/Infirmary Rd junction.

I I knew the council bought that house on the corner, they bought a good few years ago now. They definitely need to widen it, but I still think it should be left one way.

I think the main objective with widening it will be to provide proper pedestrian access to Slatt's Lane so it may well be kept one-way for vehicle traffic.

There is also a proposal in the draft municipal area development plan to remove the link road along the southern side of JJ Sheehy Road to provide a footpath along the full length of that side of JJ Sheehy Road.

• Advertisement

I noticed there's a new gym in the building next to Suits Select. I can't remember the name now. Not even sure if its opened yet, as it was closed when we passed. I hadn't heard anything about a new gym opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Had a spin to Killarney yesterday. Couldn’t help but admire the roundabouts and entrance to the town. Grass verges nicely cut flowers planted on the roundabouts etc. There was nearly a man on every roundabout I met tidying or watering or planting.

Has anyone taken any notice of the clash round in tralee it’s a complete disgrace with weeds. The roundabout off the bypass from the slip road down to clash industrial estate is so overgrown you can’t see over it.

Dont get me wrong some of the tralee roundabouts have got a nice make over but there are a few areas that badly need to be cut and planted.

There’s some nice touches in Killarney, high grass isn’t just strimmed and left to dry out and go brown is all cut and collected which makes the place look so tidy.

What goes so badly wrong with tralee in terms of public area maintenance.

It looked like the people I saw in Killarney tending to the roundabouts were council workers judging by the vans why can’t the tralee council workers and those on schemes do the same in tralee.

Rant over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Clab mor wrote: »
    Had a spin to Killarney yesterday. Couldn’t help but admire the roundabouts and entrance to the town. Grass verges nicely cut flowers planted on the roundabouts etc. There was nearly a man on every roundabout I met tidying or watering or planting.

Has anyone taken any notice of the clash round in tralee it’s a complete disgrace with weeds. The roundabout off the bypass from the slip road down to clash industrial estate is so overgrown you can’t see over it.

Dont get me wrong some of the tralee roundabouts have got a nice make over but there are a few areas that badly need to be cut and planted.

There’s some nice touches in Killarney, high grass isn’t just strimmed and left to dry out and go brown is all cut and collected which makes the place look so tidy.

It looked like the people I saw in Killarney tending to the roundabouts were council workers judging by the vans why can’t the tralee council workers and those on schemes do the same in tralee.

Rant over!!!

Killarney and Tralee the difference is like night and day,

Passed through Killarney last week and spotted the same things as you,everything well kept,dont know why the same cant be done in Tralee,

Now I did hear on the news today that Killarney Tidy towns committee were out and about yesterday evening so maybe they were some of the people you saw.

Rant over!!!

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago. The amount of overgrown weeds in a lot of roundabouts in the town is disgraceful. They are in bad need of tidying up. I see Team Bramble do a lot of work like this, but I am baffled as to why a hard working group of volunteers have to do the councils work!?

It’s embarrassing the state of the town at times. They don’t cut the grass verges for weeks on end, they only seem to half do the area up by Dromtacker. They need to start pulling the finger out!

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago. The amount of overgrown weeds in a lot of roundabouts in the town is disgraceful. They are in bad need of tidying up. I see Team Bramble do a lot of work like this, but I am baffled as to why a hard working group of volunteers have to do the councils work!?

It’s embarrassing the state of the town at times. They don’t cut the grass verges for weeks on end, they only seem to half do the area up by Dromtacker. They need to start pulling the finger out!

One thing to remember is that landscaping of the bypass and its associated roundabouts and slip roads is the responsibility of BAM as part of the design/build/maintain contract it was awarded and, from experience, they aren't exactly the most proactive when it comes to the 'maintain' part!

I think we'll just have to try get royalty to visit us more often - the Brandon car park has never looked so well! :D

Quackster wrote: »
    One thing to remember is that landscaping of the bypass and its associated roundabouts and slip roads is the responsibility of BAM as part of the design/build/maintain contract it was awarded and, from experience, they aren't exactly the most proactive when it comes to the 'maintain' part!

I think we'll just have to try get royalty to visit us more often - the Brandon car park has never looked so well! :D

Surely there’s some stipulation in those contracts that refer to the minimum number of cuts per year. It there not keeping to the contract there should be penalties.

On another note why do they design the road verges in such a way that makes it so difficult to cut. I did see a few tractors with rear hedge type cutters attached cutting the bypass recently. It looked like really slow work. All those grass margins should be set back enough distance from the road that the tractor can simply drive over it rather than trying to cut it from the road.

Here is the info for the road closures & restrictions during the Royal visit on Friday.
    http://traleetoday.ie/road-closure-details-for-royal-visit-to-tralee-this-friday/

* excuse the spelling error in title. I can’t seam to edit it to road!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Estimated crowds to attend being put at between 250 and 300 people..Nearly more security there than members of the public

Estimated crowds to attend being put at between 250 and 300 people..Nearly more security there than members of the public

The high builders fencing that was erected was a complete joke it was ugly and prevented members of the public getting to have a look.

Seemed it was only a visit for the councillors and extinguished guests rather than the actual town.

Members of royal family can walk from one end of the street to the next in the UK shaking hands with the public. Here in Tralee you needed binoculars just to see them.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Was the visit really as good for the town as people are making out?? What were the benefits???

One could say that is was a morale boost for the town but as I say most of the locals I met trying to get a look in were very disappointed with the set up.

The high builders fencing that was erected was a complete joke it was ugly and prevented members of the public getting to have a look.

Seemed it was only a visit for the councillors and extinguished guests rather than the actual town.

Members of royal family can walk from one end of the street to the next in the UK shaking hands with the public. Here in Tralee you needed binoculars just to see them.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Was the visit really as good for the town as people are making out?? What were the benefits???

One could say that is was a morale boost for the town but as I say most of the locals I met trying to get a look in were very disappointed with the set up.

I think it’s the worldwide publicity the town and county will get that makes it worthwhile. It will most likely make news bulletins in the Uk etc and hopefully entice people to want to visit.

• Advertisement

I think it’s the worldwide publicity the town and county will get that makes it worthwhile. It will most likely make news bulletins in the Uk etc and hopefully entice people to want to visit.

It hardly made our own RTE 6 o clock news. It had a quick possibly 3 min snippet. I’m not so sure that publicity will we worldwide or that it would make people visit just because the royals did.

Siamsa Tire’s main audience during their summer season are Germans, can’t see an influx of more Germans visiting just because prince Charles did.

Don’t get me wrong of course the visit has had some positive effects. I’m just not so sure if those effects were big enough to warrant the fuss, scale and money that went in to the prior planning and the actual event itself.

The amount of extra Gardai about was phenomenal both in uniform and plain clothes. The cost of that alone to the state is quite substantial I’d imagine.

Does anyone know if the royals contribute financially to visits???

It hardly made our own RTE 6 o clock news. It had a quick possibly 3 min snippet. I’m not so sure that publicity will we worldwide or that it would make people visit just because the royals did.

Siamsa Tire’s main audience during their summer season are Germans, can’t see an influx of more Germans visiting just because prince Charles did.

Don’t get me wrong of course the visit has had some positive effects. I’m just not so sure if those effects were big enough to warrant the fuss, scale and money that went in to the prior planning and the actual event itself.

The amount of extra Gardai about was phenomenal both in uniform and plain clothes. The cost of that alone to the state is quite substantial I’d imagine.

Does anyone know if the royals contribute financially to visits???

I saw it on Sky news last night. I didn’t see any other so can’t comment if it was on.
    I agree though, the money spent on security was probably crazy and the fact the council managed to find money they claimed they didn’t have to fix up a carpark which locals were asking to be repaired for years! They were more worried about impressing the Royals than the local Taxpayers! Hopefully it will pay off in tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

the council managed to find money they claimed they didn’t have to fix up a carpark which locals were asking to be repaired for years!

The above point is one which is worth remembering- if required, money CAN be found to make things better. It seems incredibly wrong that we need to wait for 'the great and the good' to venture into town for sub-standard infrastructure to be made right. I understand that the turn off at Counihan's shop for the Aquadome/ town centre was also miraculously repaired.
    It seems that local folks should be prepared to tolerate 'any old thing' for as long as required but God forbid that 'a somebody' might be obliged to rattle their bones on a bumpy, rutted surface.

Could someone famous announce that they would really like a drive along Clash Road in the not too distant future?

The above point is one which is worth remembering- if required, money CAN be found to make things better. It seems incredibly wrong that we need to wait for 'the great and the good' to venture into town for sub-standard infrastructure to be made right. I understand that the turn off at Counihan's shop for the Aquadome/ town centre was also miraculously repaired.
    It seems that local folks should be prepared to tolerate 'any old thing' for as long as required but God forbid that 'a somebody' might be obliged to rattle their bones on a bumpy, rutted surface.

Could someone famous announce that they would really like a drive along Clash Road in the not too distant future?

There and Oakpark road. They fixed two small sections of the Oakpark road last year and the rest of it is turning into potholes all over it. I saw someone mention the road up Clounalour to the sports complex, and that it’s still not been resurfaced since Irish water dug it up a few weeks ago. I think the council have said it’s up to Irish water tonhave it done, but I don’t know why they’re not putting pressure on them. The residents there must be going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

There and Oakpark road. They fixed two small sections of the Oakpark road last year and the rest of it is turning into potholes all over it. I saw someone mention the road up Clounalour to the sports complex, and that it’s still not been resurfaced since Irish water dug it up a few weeks ago. I think the council have said it’s up to Irish water tonhave it done, but I don’t know why they’re not putting pressure on them. The residents there must be going mad.

The cars and gardens are filthy along Clounalour. The amount of dust that the buses in and out of the Complex kick up is unreal. Awful to walk through too.

Just to be aware the traffic lights are out at the Oakpark- Killeen junction. They have been like this all day. Don’t know if it’s linked to works going on at the gate lodge at that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A new 90 bed nursing home with medical centre/pharmacy is planned for Oakpark opposite Derrylea.
    Kerry County Council planning reference 18596

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Ferndene-Medical-Centre-Oakpark-Road-Tralee-Co-Kerry/517113/

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hello all. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good, reliable used car dealer in Tralee/Killarney area?
    Thanks

Hello all. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good, reliable used car dealer in Tralee/Killarney area?
    Thanks

Cunningham motors in Clash are nice to deal with. I only ever had my car serviced there but they sell used cars too. Nice family to deal with. There’s also AutoPoint on the Listowel road, next to Lots. I bought a car off them years ago, found them good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just heard a story on the news about a fella who nicked an ice cream van and drove it through the gates of St Johns and then into the entrance. He was caught eventually and was waving an imitation firearm.

I assume his free legal aid practitioner will blame the sunshine?

Anybody on here see/hear what happened?

Advertisement