Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

*shhhh.... anyone want a 99*?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BPKS wrote: »
    Just heard a story on the news about a fella who nicked an ice cream van and drove it through the gates of St Johns and then into the entrance. He was caught eventually and was waving an imitation firearm.

I assume his free legal aid practitioner will blame the sunshine?

Anybody on here see/hear what happened?

It’s a mental health issue. Please be cautious on commenting about this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just heard a story on the news about a fella who nicked an ice cream van and drove it through the gates of St Johns and then into the entrance. He was caught eventually and was waving an imitation firearm.

Pat Mann licking his lips. "My client has been struggling with a bad drink and drugs problem but he has been striving to beat it for the last number of years"... "pay me"

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Having seen the ice cream van Gardai first believed this was an ICE IS attack!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Radio Kerry announcing Amazon are to create 80 jobs in Tralee.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/80-amazon-jobs-coming-kerry/

Has this been known for a while? First I had heard of it, great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

keane2097 wrote: »

Bit of a bluff, Amazon have work at home jobs available to anyone in Ireland for a long time, what's different here is the chamber alliance are actively promoting it which is good, people may not necessarily realise that these types of jobs are around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

g1983d wrote: »
    keane2097 wrote: »

Bit of a bluff, Amazon have work at home jobs available to anyone in Ireland for a long time, what's different here is the chamber alliance are actively promoting it which is good, people may not necessarily realise that these types of jobs are around
    Agreed. While it's good news, a working from home job is not a "Tralee" or "Kerry" job. Anyone with the required abilities in any location in Ireland can do it.  I'm sure if any active job hunter seeking working from home jobs checked any of the job search websites, it would have already come up as a job vacancy.  But yes, fair dues to the Chamber for promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Amazon, I surmise, would not categorise the home-workers as employees, but as independent contractors, and thus would be responsible for filing their own tax returns, etc. Am I correct in this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed the council have put derelict notices up on a few empty units in Castle Street this week. About time too. The butchers has had a smashed window for over two years now & no attempt to repair it. I hope the landlords get off their asses & start maintaining them!

Do the council fine them if the work isn’t carried out?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I noticed the council have put derelict notices up on a few empty units in Castle Street this week. About time too. The butchers has had a smashed window for over two years now & no attempt to repair it. I hope the landlords get off their asses & start maintaining them!

Do the council fine them if the work isn’t carried out?

They do, the tiny shop unit to the right of the Sinn Fein office & 2 buildings just up fromRajas, 1 was an off license many years ago

• Advertisement

I see the old Allegro is reopening soon as a mixed Indian, nandos, Chinese affair...it's the lads behind Tasty Bite in Pembroke Street...best wishes to them

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Are PC Solutions on Pembroke St gone or moved? Jack has helped me out several times over the last few years.
    RevBJ

Are PC Solutions on Pembroke St gone or moved? Jack has helped me out several times over the last few years.
    RevBJ

Closed down over a month ago

I heard today that Premier travel agents in iVy Terrace are gone and apparently customers money gone with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I heard today that Premier travel agents in iVy Terrace are gone and apparently customers money gone with them!

Seen something in the Kerry's Eye or Kerryman about it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Check out this article: "American lost €20,000 with closure of Tralee based holiday company" on the Radio Kerry app
    https://5uo3.app.link/FreeEOs5uO

ongarboy wrote: »
    Check out this article: "American lost €20,000 with closure of Tralee based holiday company" on the Radio Kerry app
    https://5uo3.app.link/FreeEOs5uO

Link above wasn't working
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/american-lost-e20000-closure-tralee-based-holiday-company/

The council have published their masterplan for the Denny site.
    You can read more in this link http://traleetoday.ie/council-publishes-masterplan-for-island-of-geese-site/

You can read more in this link http://traleetoday.ie/council-publishes-masterplan-for-island-of-geese-site/

Hopefully that puts the new courthouse rubbish to bed once and for all

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hopefully that puts the new courthouse rubbish to bed once and for all

You mustn't have read the article.

The draft plan, completed by Reddy Architecture and Urbanism provides an overarching design concept and architectural framework for the development of the area...

The draft master-plan makes no decisions as to what the site be used for but lists a range of potential uses, including 'public-service offices', which would obviously cover a new courthouse.

Can't understand why you think moving the courthouse there is a 'rubbish' idea. Unless you belong to one of the vested interests trying to keep it on Ashe Street in a not-fit-for-purpose building at all costs.

At the end of the day, (availability of) money will decide what gets developed on this site and if the Courts Service comes waving a cheque-book, the debt-burdened KCC will act accordingly.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    You mustn't have read the article.

The draft plan, completed by Reddy Architecture and Urbanism provides an overarching design concept and architectural framework for the development of the area...

The draft master-plan makes no decisions as to what the site be used for but lists a range of potential uses including 'public-service offices', which would obviously cover a new courthouse.

Can't understand why you think moving the courthouse there is a 'rubbish' idea. Unless you belong to one of the vested interests trying to keep it on Ashe Street in a not-fit-for-purpose building at all costs.

Nope, no vested interest at all...the public service office has more chance of being a post office than a courthouse...add to that a minimum of 30% is to be open space for public use...I'd say the chances of a courthouse are less than a Kerry all Ireland win this year

Nope, no vested interest at all...the public service office has more chance of being a post office than a courthouse...add to that a minimum of 30% is to be open space for public use...I'd say the chances of a courthouse are less than a Kerry all Ireland win this year

A courthouse would take up just a fraction of the 70% of the site that can be built on. No issue there. You still haven't said why you think it would be a bad idea.

I think it's an excellent idea because a new courthouse is very badly needed and keeping the courthouse in the town centre is very much preferable than it moving to the outskirts of town. The current Ashe Street site is simply not big enough to accommodate a modern facility and there does not appear to be any other suitable vacant site in or near the town centre.

A courthouse would take up just a fraction of the 70% of the site that can be built on. No issue there. You still haven't said why you think it would be a bad idea.

I think it's an excellent idea because a new courthouse is very badly needed and keeping the courthouse in the town centre is very much preferable than it moving to the outskirts of town. The current Ashe Street site is simply not big enough to accommodate a modern facility and there does not appear to be any other suitable vacant site in or near the town centre.

And yet..not an iota of evidence to suggest it would be used as a courthouse.... bar a soundbite from a minister.
    There is a chance to do something wonderful at that side of town, and thankfully, a courthouse isn't it.

And yet..not an iota of evidence to suggest it would be used as a courthouse.... bar a soundbite from a minister.
    There is a chance to do something wonderful at that side of town, and thankfully, a courthouse isn't it.

Again, could you elaborate as to why a courthouse wouldn't be a good idea for the site and where you'd put the courthouse instead?

Again, could you elaborate as to why a courthouse wouldn't be a good idea for the site and where you'd put the courthouse instead?

Ballymullen? Dick Boyle could buy Nancy Myles and retain the contract serving the jury ****e bacon and cabbage every day.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Ballymullen? Dick Boyle could buy Nancy Myles and retain the contract serving the jury ****e bacon and cabbage every day.

The offer to the dept of defense is still under consideration.... could suit Michael Healy Rae and his new development in said bar

The offer to the dept of defense is still under consideration.... could suit Michael Healy Rae and his new development in said bar

Didn't realise that Nancy Myles was being reopened.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Didn't realise that Nancy Myles was being reopened.

It isn't, apartments and some of the adjoining land also

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I’d love to know how much money was spent on this master plan.

We’ve learned absolutely nothing new from it. The type of uses that they say would suit the area are all bloody common sense really.

I’m finding it hard to understand what the purpose of it was????

On some other positive news the new Tralee town rebranding looks very good. Dick Spring on board as a business ambassador. Seems to be a decent group of positive minded people behind it so hopefully it will be of some help.

I also see the festival announced a list of street acts for this year all free again. Hermitage Green, The High Kings, Jake Carter seem to be heading it up along with a number of other bands and tribute bands. Not a bad ole line up.

• Advertisement

Clab mor wrote: »
    I’d love to know how much money was spent on this master plan.

We’ve learned absolutely nothing new from it. The type of uses that they say would suit the area are all bloody common sense really.

I’m finding it hard to understand what the purpose of it was????

On some other positive news the new Tralee town rebranding looks very good. Dick Spring on board as a business ambassador. Seems to be a decent group of positive minded people behind it so hopefully it will be of some help.

I also see the festival announced a list of street acts for this year all free again. Hermitage Green, The High Kings, Jake Carter seem to be heading it up along with a number of other bands and tribute bands. Not a bad ole line up.

Totally agree about the council master plan, I don’t know what they are proposing either! I’ve read a lot of negative comments regarding it on Facebook & I think people feel it won’t be put to good use and that none of the suggestions from the public (who it was gifted to) were even listened to.

Great video up on social media from chamber alliance promoting Tralee. I will post up the link.

Advertisement