Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Tralee the Capital of Kerry promo video https://www.facebook.com/tralee.ie/videos/1725252000921541/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Quackster wrote: »
    A courthouse would take up just a fraction of the 70% of the site that can be built on. No issue there. You still haven't said why you think it would be a bad idea.

I think it's an excellent idea because a new courthouse is very badly needed and keeping the courthouse in the town centre is very much preferable than it moving to the outskirts of town. The current Ashe Street site is simply not big enough to accommodate a modern facility and there does not appear to be any other suitable vacant site in or near the town centre.

Next time you are in Limerick check out the new Courthosue that was built near the Prison, across from the Fire Station.

The old courthouse was not fit for purpose and a new one was built. Simple as that.

It seems to me that the lobby for retaining the existing courthouse is based mainly on the location. From what I can see, a few of the legal eagles could do with the 10 minute walk from their office to/from the Denny site.

A new courthouse with increased capacity is also likely to reduce waiting times and in turn, legal costs, but then again who would that not suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

xxyyzz wrote: »

The old Dunnes building in the Mall has been sold...DV8 are taking the ground floor ..maybe there's something going in upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

The old Dunnes building in the Mall has been sold...DV8 are taking the ground floor ..maybe there's something going in upstairs?

Probably M&S :D

• Advertisement

Quaderno wrote: »

Could be big enough for a 2 story courthouse !

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Quaderno wrote: »

I can't see anything, not even M&S, employing 100 staff in any vacant building in the town centre. What's left anyway? The unit that Guiney's is vacating is the only substantial space I can think of.

More misinformation after that recent Amazon sh1te wouldn't surprise me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Maybe an anchor tenant for Centrepoint. There were rumours of some kind of a medical facility.

kn wrote: »
    Maybe an anchor tenant for Centrepoint. There were rumours of some kind of a medical facility.

Ah yeah, so it could just be a reannouncment of something that's been in the pipeline for some time then.

I wonder if there's any significant vacant space left in Centrepoint outside of what's been used already by the Courts Service and what's planned to be used for this primary care centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Great news that eyesore will have a bit of life back in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Building work has started for the Costa unit in Manor. Not sure when it’s due to be completed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Building work has started for the Costa unit in Manor. Not sure when it’s due to be completed though.
    I'd imagine Gloria Jeans are not over the moon

Aldi are doing a big redevelopment job at their JJ Sheehy store. Carpark is a bit tight st the mo & the main doors are moved to facing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Where is the big clothes shop that was next to Pennys gone, it had a lovely restaurant up stairs, as well as lots of bedding and towels along with kitchenware, and clothese downstairs, I think Heatons was the name of it

goat2 wrote: »
    Where is the big clothes shop that was next to Pennys gone, it had a lovely restaurant up stairs, as well as lots of bedding and towels along with kitchenware, and clothese downstairs, I think Heatons was the name of it

Yes that was Heatons. It was bought out by Sports Direct, who are now trading there. Dawson’s restaurant are gone from upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yes that was Heatons. It was bought out by Sports Direct, who are now trading there. Dawson’s restaurant are gone from upstairs.
    Since I did see the sports ad over the door, I did not go in, so it is all sports clothes now, or do they have a variety of stuff there as before

Since I did see the sports ad over the door, I did not go in, so it is all sports clothes now, or do they have a variety of stuff there as before

They still have some homewares on the top floor as well. Its mainly sports stuff on ground & first floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

There is finally some activity going on in the abandoned building in the old Jeanie Johnston shipyard behind the windmill. I have only ever seen that place boarded up, but today people were apparently replacing broken windows and such. No idea what's in the pipeline, but lets hope someone will put it to good use after all those years...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Theres a Jack and Jones clothes section for sure in there now. Might be other sections too but wasn't paying attention.

Theres a Jack and Jones clothes section for sure in there now. Might be other sections too but wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, much/most of the ground floor is 'street' fashion. Proper sports gear is mainly on the first floor, with some homeware and other bits on the top floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Heatons was taklen over by Sports Direct and all the shops are in the process of being rebranded to Sports World.

The new layout incorporates the old "Sports World", "USC" which is a casual chain in the UK with a similar formula to DV8 and in some shops "Flannells" whic is an upmarket UK Menswear chain.

If they ever sort out their HR attitude, the will be a major player in the Sports/Lifestyle market

You can read further here
    https://www.drapersonline.com/news/sports-directs-michael-murray-leads-elevation-strategy-with-new-flagship/7031301.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=15719

PS. I have no connection to Sports World

Anyone know if there has been any uptake on the Oktoberfest beag in the dome or will if be something else that's not supported.
    Could be a good night if it gets a decent crowd

g1983d wrote: »
    Anyone know if there has been any uptake on the Oktoberfest beag in the dome or will if be something else that's not supported.
    Could be a good night if it gets a decent crowd

It'll be a sell out, the same company did very well a couple of years ago with a food based night in the dome

It'll be a sell out, the same company did very well a couple of years ago with a food based night in the dome

Hopefully, trying to organise the work crowd to go but besides the advertising I haven't heard anyone talking about going

http://traleetoday.ie/councillors-to-decide-on-property-tax-rate-in-september/

What are the odds we will be gouged for a few more quid by the council

g1983d wrote: »
    http://traleetoday.ie/councillors-to-decide-on-property-tax-rate-in-september/

What are the odds we will be gouged for a few more quid by the council

They asked for public submissions on the property tax last year too but they still increased it. I bet they will increase it again. While other counties decreased theirs, Kerry Coco increases it here! I don’t trust them not to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Just thought I'd share these. I found them this evening in a book belonging to my late Dad. He was born in Dublin to Tralee parents and always considered himself a Kerry man. I reckon they were taken in the early 70s

db24835b-a3fc-46a0-9a2b-18bc9e3eb540.jpg

jos28 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share these. I found them this evening in a book belonging to my late Dad. He was born in Dublin to Tralee parents and always considered himself a Kerry man. I reckon they were taken in the early 70s

db24835b-a3fc-46a0-9a2b-18bc9e3eb540.jpg

That is Rock street! Great photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

I'm looking for a gym that I can use in the tralee area- town or outskirts- that has pay as you go classes preferably. Not looking for full membership really as Id only be interested in using the gym from Mondays to Thursdays. Keenly interested in Spinning and circuits classes. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SEE Something, Say Something, a new public service initiative for Tralee has been launched by Tralee Chamber Alliance in partnership with An Garda Síochána.

http://traleetoday.ie/see-something-say-something-campaign-launched-by-chamber-and-gardai/

Advertisement