Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

koriko wrote: »
    I'm looking for a gym that I can use in the tralee area- town or outskirts- that has pay as you go classes preferably. Not looking for full membership really as Id only be interested in using the gym from Mondays to Thursdays. Keenly interested in Spinning and circuits classes. Any suggestions? Thanks

Not sure if many gyms do pay as you go anymore. I think Hercules gym in Monavalley does pay as you go, but I don’t think they run classes, apart from personal training.

I just saw on facebook that Manor hotel do classes (including spinning), and it looks like they can be pay as you go. They also have a gym and a pool. https://www.facebook.com/821830077861553/photos/rpp.821830077861553/1984703244907558/?type=3&theater

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Insomnia Coffee opening new cafe at Corrib Oil petrol station at John Joe Sheehy Road according to their Facebook page. Advertising for baristas. The page said Chopped is opening there also along with The Grill and Corrib Deli. Sounds impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

One thing they could do at the Island of Geese near the roundabout is get rid of that vile mural depicting the cowering masses looking up in awe at a smirking bishop. Who the f*ck commissioned that monstrosity in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Not sure if many gyms do pay as you go anymore. I think Hercules gym in Monavalley does pay as you go, but I don’t think they run classes, apart from personal training.

I just saw on facebook that Manor hotel do classes (including spinning), and it looks like they can be pay as you go. They also have a gym and a pool. https://www.facebook.com/821830077861553/photos/rpp.821830077861553/1984703244907558/?type=3&theater

Thanks Ciarraí :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Is that the mural for the Hugh O'Flaherty, the Scarlett Pimpernel? If it is, he did save the lives of 1000's of people during WW2 - I think that's kind of nice to honour a Kerryman who did so much good, saving lives.

If it's not Hugh O'Flaherty, then I suppose what's the point of it being there.

There is a very nice statue of him in Killarney next to the 2 carparks (don't know the name of the road) beside Killarney house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

bobdcow wrote: »
    Is that the mural for the Hugh O'Flaherty, the Scarlett Pimpernel? If it is, he did save the lives of 1000's of people during WW2 - I think that's kind of nice to honour a Kerryman who did so much good, saving lives.

If it's not Hugh O'Flaherty, then I suppose what's the point of it being there.

There is a very nice statue of him in Killarney next to the 2 carparks (don't know the name of the road) beside Killarney house.

If it is, then fair enough. I've only driven past it and haven't read the plaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

He's always portrayed the same way in reproductions - striding along with his long cassock (? not sure if that's the right word) flowing around him. He saved many people of all religions ( jews etc,) from the Nazis, and was played by Gregory Peck in film of his life. If he'd have been caught his Vatican status wouldn't have protected him from either a Nazi concentration camp or death even. I didn't see the mural in Tralee but I agree, if it's not him, with Bobcow.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

xxyyzz wrote: »
    One thing they could do at the Island of Geese near the roundabout is get rid of that vile mural depicting the cowering masses looking up in awe at a smirking bishop. Who the f*ck commissioned that monstrosity in this day and age?

yes this is tribute to lifes work of monseigneur Hugh O Flaherty
    All religions need more like him
    Saved thousands unlike most religions whose preachings cause tragedy and death

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

All religions need more like him
    Saved thousands unlike most religions whose preachings cause tragedy and death

His famous quote: " God has no Nation". Hope I got that right.

• Advertisement

Saw a marked Garda car & 4 unmarked Garda cars race through Castle Street this morning all with sirens going. Intrigued to know what happened!? Did anyone hear about any incidents?

SEE Something, Say Something, a new public service initiative for Tralee has been launched by Tralee Chamber Alliance in partnership with An Garda Síochána.

http://traleetoday.ie/see-something-say-something-campaign-launched-by-chamber-and-gardai/

Its a great idea, but I hope it won't be abused. As I heard someone say, its an extension of a neighbourhood watch. Here's a link to an interview with Ken Tobin on Newstalk
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Lunchtime_Live/Highlights_from_Lunchtime_Live/230210/Tackling_antisocial_behaviour_in_Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

I see someone has installed a public Defib in The Mall next to Elvery Sports. A great addition to the town centre. Hope it wont be vandalised

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

There is also a mural of him on the corner of High St and Msgr O'Flaherty Rd in Killarney, and a more recent one in the centre of Cahersiveen, where he lived out his days and is buried in the church grounds.
    ....unlike most religions whose preachings cause tragedy and death

A bit of a generalisation, but no surprise given your name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

JonathonS wrote: »
    There is also a mural of him on the corner of High St and Msgr O'Flaherty Rd in Killarney, and a more recent one in the centre of Cahersiveen, where he lived out his days and is buried in the church grounds.

A bit of a generalisation, but no surprise given your name:D

Was recently in BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA and saw for myself more proof of my above theory.Isaw and got first hand account of what both nationalistic and religious fervour does.Believe me we are better off without both

Frozen yoghurt shop, Yogoland, opening in old Carmel's shop on Rock St. Seems a bit slightly off the beaten track for this type of business? Less tourist traffic down that way.

Also, Grill'n'Thrill cafe opening where Gaudinos was on Castle Street. Menu seems similar to Allegro etc but maybe with more kebab style options.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Frozen yoghurt shop, Yogoland, opening in old Carmel's shop on Rock St. Seems a bit slightly off the beaten track for this type of business? Less tourist traffic down that way.

Also, Grill'n'Thrill cafe opening where Gaudinos was on Castle Street. Menu seems similar to Allegro etc but maybe with more kebab style options.

I walked passed Yogoland last week, it looks nice inside. I'd be surprised though if it lasts a year. I can't see it being too successful in the winter. I haven't even seen any sort of advertising of it yet. You would only know its there by driving/walking passed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Groundhog Day "August & Crime in Kerry". The annual August rampage of robberies and the best that the Gardai PR office can do is resort to Radio Kerry to "Appeal for Information" from the public who are the very people they are meant to be protecting:mad:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/gardai-appealing-information-following-two-north-kerry-burglaries/

Inspector Clouseau himself would firstly deduct that we would need more police on 'the beat' and certainly during the month of August when it is harvest time for criminals. Cannot remember the last time I passed a Guard walking the streets of Tralee. What are they doing in the station. I know they get an allowance for filling in paperwork but surely they have a sense of civil duty - after all that is why they became Gardai in the first place.

And update on who is providing the 100 jobs to be announced imminently for Tralee as promised by Tralee chamber a few weeks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is a pity that there is no Pennys down in Manor west, was there today, and I do love going to Pennys, it is a nuisance having to travel distances between the good shops, I love Homestore and More, Tescos, Gloria Jeans, and a lot of the shops at manor, TK max being another, but Pennys would round off that place brilliantly, no pay to park, and plenty places around at just a stroll,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

goat2 wrote: »
    It is a pity that there is no Pennys down in Manor west, was there today, and I do love going to Pennys, it is a nuisance having to travel distances between the good shops, I love Homestore and More, Tescos, Gloria Jeans, and a lot of the shops at manor, TK max being another, but Pennys would round off that place brilliantly, no pay to park, and plenty places around at just a stroll,

If penny's was in manor, the town center may as well pack up.
    Personally I hate penny's but it draws some crowd into the middle of the town

ongarboy wrote: »
    And update on who is providing the 100 jobs to be announced imminently for Tralee as promised by Tralee chamber a few weeks back?

The head of the chamber alliance has a habit of announcing things in the hope they will work out.

100 jobs in Tralee would be more than welcome as long as they are not announcing 100 work at home jobs with someone like Amazon or Apple that already exist if anybody interested in working would easily find

goat2 wrote: »

Thank God Manor didn't get their hands on Penney's! The town centre would die a death without it. I love Penney's, and I wouldn't end up going there too often if it was in Manor. I probably only go to Manor once a month. It has a few good shops, but its not enough to keep me shopping there for long.

I will be glad when Costa opens there, I really do not like Gloria Jeans, far too expensive for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Is Costa opening in Manor? If these 100 jobs are correct, they could be largely spread over many different businesses. Starbucks is also proposed for the old HMV/Xtravision site isn't it? Petstop, a pet store chain, is also opening an outlet in Tralee.

Is Costa opening in Manor? If these 100 jobs are correct, they could be largely spread over many different businesses. Starbucks is also proposed for the old HMV/Xtravision site isn't it? Petstop, a pet store chain, is also opening an outlet in Tralee.

Its an individual employer already based in Tralee according to the article in a recent Kerryman.

I agree that Penney's is best positioned in the town centre too. The centre would die without the crowd puller Penney's brings in.

Costa is being constructed at the moment, next to Carpet Right. That new pet shop, PetStop, is opening behind Soundstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Costa is being constructed at the moment, next to Carpet Right. That new pet shop, PetStop, is opening behind Soundstore.

Oh thanks! I saw the construction beside CarpetRight from a distance but didn't really know what it was to be honest. Also wasn't sure where Petstop would be. It's great to see that area thriving because, aside from Soundstore and Toby World/Playdium, it had a few lean years. Now, Mr. Price and this new shop have helped to make it appear less barren.

To maxx are opening one of their homesense stores in there too I believe

g1983d wrote: »
    To maxx are opening one of their homesense stores in there too I believe

Whereabouts are they opening that?

• Advertisement

Whereabouts are they opening that?

I heard into the carpet right unit, not sure if carpet right are staying and they have half the unit each or are the leaving.
    I believe the store performs quiet well for them but their parent company in the UK is struggling

Advertisement