Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

g1983d wrote: »
    I heard into the carpet right unit, not sure if carpet right are staying and they have half the unit each or are the leaving.
    I believe the store performs quiet well for them but their parent company in the UK is struggling

I was up there briefly on Sunday and noticed that Carpet Right had their windows all blocked out and signs up that there was a clearance sale. So maybe they are going? it will be good to have the TK Maxx Homesense there too, they do some lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was up there briefly on Sunday and noticed that Carpet Right had their windows all blocked out and signs up that there was a clearance sale. So maybe they are going? it will be good to have the TK Maxx Homesense there too, they do some lovely stuff.

TK Maxx/homesense have lost the run of themselves with their prices though, recession is over according to them so they've jacked up the prices.
    Anytime I look at any branded clothes in there the prices are always more expensive than what you'd pay in Kildare village
    Usually use it to pass away half an hour wandering around if I've nothing to do :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

TK Maxx/homesense have lost the run of themselves with their prices though, recession is over according to them so they've jacked up the prices.
    Anytime I look at any branded clothes in there the prices are always more expensive than what you'd pay in Kildare village
    Usually use it to pass away half an hour wandering around if I've nothing to do :-)

Yeah they have got expensive. I rarely buy anything in there anymore. I did get some Adidas trainers in there recently for €35 though, which I was extremely happy with! But that’s a rare find these days! I find their range of clothing isn’t great anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The recession is over though!  Unemployment is again at Celtic Tiger levels and there has been GDP growth every quarter for the last 5 years at least.  I'm not saying that justifies rip off price hikes but we are definitely not in a recession right now

ongarboy wrote: »
    The recession is over though!  Unemployment is again at Celtic Tiger levels and there has been GDP growth every quarter for the last 5 years at least.  I'm not saying that justifies rip off price hikes but we are definitely not in a recession right now

I know the recession is over, was only hopping ball.
    Recession was a great thing if you had a job, I could afford a lot of things, nights away in Dublin etc... Now a hotel in Dublin is 2 or €300 for a night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I heard into the carpet right unit, not sure if carpet right are staying and they have half the unit each or are the leaving.
    I believe the store performs quiet well for them but their parent company in the UK is struggling

Carpet Right is permanently closing down at the end of the month. Nearest outlets then will be Cork and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I notice there is a bit of clearing work going on in the old Tralee Beef and Lamb site in Monavalley
    Has it been sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Recruitment firm to create 50 jobs in Kerry
    https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/recruitment-firm-to-create-50-jobs-in-kerry-37213929.html

Not quite the 100 jobs the Chamber promised (was that regarding a separate jobs announcement still imminent?) but still great news for Tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Great news re Sigmar!

Regarding the '100 jobs': I've heard rumours that it refers to some sort of 'foreign student education' undertaking. I'd find it hard to believe that such an operation could generate 100 jobs but we'll wait and see. Any extra, sustainable, reasonably well paid employment is to be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anyone know if the Italian sandwich shop on Ashe Street is closed for good. Curtains are drawn over the window today

• Advertisement

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Italian sandwich shop on Ashe Street is closed for good. Curtains are drawn over the window today

I did read they were closing. The guy who opened it has left & opened up in Killarney as far as I know.

I did read they were closing. The guy who opened it has left & opened up in Killarney as far as I know.

He's been gone for over a year. 2 brothers opened the shop in tralee and then one of them, Angelo, left to open the shop in killarney last year.

Has anyone been out and about this weekend for the festival?

We were in town briefly Saturday morning and there was a nice crowd around. Weather was beautiful at that stage. I didn’t go to the parade last night as it’s too late for my little boy. I don’t think there was meant to be a huge crowd at it due to the rain. I think there was a bigger crowd for it today as it was dry and warm.

We went to the park for a while and it seemed busy.

Has anyone been out and about this weekend for the festival?

We were in town briefly Saturday morning and there was a nice crowd around. Weather was beautiful at that stage. I didn’t go to the parade last night as it’s too late for my little boy. I don’t think there was meant to be a huge crowd at it due to the rain. I think there was a bigger crowd for it today as it wasn’t dry and warm.

We went to the park for a while and it seemed busy.

Nice atmosphere around and the seated area in the mall is a good idea.
    Went to the parade Saturday night and was lucky enough, there was a downpour before it started which resulted in me having a pint in Benners, it stayed pretty much dry for it and the fireworks whemich were good

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nice atmosphere around and the seated area in the mall is a good idea.

The covered seated area in the Mall is fantastic in its simplicity. Had a half-day Friday and popped into town in the afternoon. Ended up sitting down there for ages listening to the excellent brass bands. Atmosphere was lovely.

Quackster wrote: »
    The covered seated area in the Mall is fantastic in its simplicity. Had a half-day Friday and popped into town in the afternoon. Ended up sitting down there for ages listening to the excellent brass bands. Atmosphere was lovely.

It was a great idea, especially with the music playing there. It gave it a great atmosphere. Glad to see less stalls really, but still far too many selling what looks to be counterfeit brands. I put would be nicer to see more local stalls, not so much tat. It felt like ther was more space to walk around, especially with a pram!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Any idea where the shop is in Killarney?

Degag wrote: »

No sorry haven’t a clue. Maybe ask on the Killarney thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Possibly this place, it's towards the top of High Street

https://www.facebook.com/Petitdelicekerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Highly unlikely that it is Petit Delice, that is in Killarney for ages and the produce is very different. I was in there today as it happens, always a stop for some gorgeous pastries if I can manage it when in Killarney. Expensive but very tasty.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    Highly unlikely that it is Petit Delice, that is in Killarney for ages and the produce is very different. I was in there today as it happens, always a stop for some gorgeous pastries if I can manage it when in Killarney. Expensive but very tasty.

Yeah I’ve been in there too, it’s lovely but definitely nit the Italian place.

In any case, please post about it in the Killarney thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Went down town yesterday evening with the young lad for a while (about 7pm to 9pm)
    Nice atmosphere around, but thought it was quiet overall.
    I am old enough though to remember the days when there was music blaring from 4 or 5 stages and throngs of people around.

Little Italy on new market lane

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Ya was a bit weird alright, the square got really busy later and the only entertainment was some lads dismantling the stage.
    Seems bizarre to have no music on after 10pm, is this a stragety to push people in the pubs or what ?
    Went down town yesterday evening with the young lad for a while (about 7pm to 9pm)
    Nice atmosphere around, but thought it was quiet overall.
    I am old enough though to remember the days when there was music blaring from 4 or 5 stages and throngs of people around.

Ya was a bit weird alright, the square got really busy later and the only entertainment was some lads dismantling the stage.
    Seems bizarre to have no music on after 10pm, is this a stragety to push people in the pubs or what ?

Maybe they wanted to push people over to Denny street so they would stay on there for the fireworks etc. Not sure what time the music ended there before the Rose was announced.

Does anyone know of the town bus goes from the Oakpark area over to Manor retail park?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

No the music finished on Denny Street at the same time, there was no entertainment anywhere in town.

Seems bizarre given there was 1000s of people standing around for hours waiting for the parade.

I think there was only one act on Denny Street all day yesterday, Hermatige Green from 9 to 10ish.
    Maybe they wanted to push people over to Denny street so they would stay on there for the fireworks etc. Not sure what time the music ended there before the Rose was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Was it my imagination or was it near 1AM that the firework display was on last night? That's really late for a midweek event, it set every dog in the estate off, and I was not too happy when my alarm went off at 5.30.

oeb wrote: »
    Was it my imagination or was it near 1AM that the firework display was on last night? That's really late for a midweek event, it set every dog in the estate off, and I was not too happy when my alarm went off at 5.30.

It wasn't 1am, but it wasn't far off it. I went to bed as I got sick of waiting. I woke again at around 12.40am when they started. I do agree it was far too late. I don't see why they can't do it straight after the show ends or even do it the next evening (this evening). It seems like its later & later each year. I don't know why they bother with the fireworks at that time.

• Advertisement

No the music finished on Denny Street at the same time, there was no entertainment anywhere in town.

Seems bizarre given there was 1000s of people standing around for hours waiting for the parade.

I think there was only one act on Denny Street all day yesterday, Hermatige Green from 9 to 10ish.

That’s strange I don’t know why it would end so early and then the fireworks didn’t even start until after 12.30am....which was far too late.

Advertisement