Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Does anybody have any information about a birdwatching group that meets on Saturday mornings? Heard it meets in the Brandon car park and walks to Ballyseedy. Any info would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was reading in the paper yesterday that Imagine.ie is rolling out fibre speed Broadband in Kerry,found some info here about it

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/84131/imagine-lights-up-galways-broadband-black-spots

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 alongwaytotipp

Thinking of buying a house in one of the estates along Killeen road. However, I just heard that there's of a lot of anti-social activity around Collis Sandes at the weekend. Anybody know much about this ? is it just teenagers getting drunk or more sinister than that ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thinking of buying a house in one of the estates along Killeen road. However, I just heard that there's of a lot of anti-social activity around Collis Sandes at the weekend. Anybody know much about this ? is it just teenagers getting drunk or more sinister than that ?

I didn't hear a thing about that & I live in the Oakpark area. Its probably only drunken teens & its going to happen no matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pity the Top Gear lads didnt drive the whole section of Wild Atlantic Way in Kerry

Or even drive the whole lot of it from Cork to Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Stationhouse is reopening in a few weeks! Will be nice to see it back open.

http://traleetoday.ie/work-continues-station-house-blennerville/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Was reading in the paper yesterday that Imagine.ie is rolling out fibre speed Broadband in Kerry,found some info here about it

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/84131/imagine-lights-up-galways-broadband-black-spots

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/

The usual utter bollox from imagine. This isn't fibre, it's wireless the same as kerry broadband and permanent. Imagine are terrified by the new national broadband scheme so are trying every trick under the sun to con customers into buying their product. They have fibre back haul possibly to the mast but then it's same old ding dong of sh*tty wireless to the house with crazy high contention rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Anybody up at the Free Recycling event up in The Mart today? Just wondering what the queues in are like?

kaiser31 wrote: »
    Anybody up at the Free Recycling event up in The Mart today? Just wondering what the queues in are like?

I saw a few people on Facebook say it was busy earlier. It's never been too bad whenever I've gone up in the past. You won't be waiting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Just back from it, big queue alright but moves on quick enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Thanks, went up and flew through. They are very well organised. It's a great facility.

We drove up to Glenntennasig today. I hadn't been up that way in years & years. I couldn't believe how bad the road up there is. So uneven and big stones. We have a 4x4, but even then it was really not easy. It didn't do my big pregnant tummy much good, so uncomfortable! lol

Why isn't it levelled off & surfaced properly? For such a busy spot, its awful! We then got stuck behind a very nervous driver on the way back down, who proceeded to drive slower than she needed to & had no clue how to pull in to leave the 6 cars behind her pass! :mad:

Gorgeous place, however I hadn't the energy to go for a walk once we got there! Will go back when this big bump has disappeared! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    We drove up to Glenntennasig today. I hadn't been up that way in years & years. I couldn't believe how bad the road up there is. So uneven and big stones. We have a 4x4, but even then it was really not easy. It didn't do my big pregnant tummy much good, so uncomfortable! lol

Why isn't it levelled off & surfaced properly? For such a busy spot, its awful! We then got stuck behind a very nervous driver on the way back down, who proceeded to drive slower than she needed to & had no clue how to pull in to leave the 6 cars behind her pass! :mad:

Gorgeous place, however I hadn't the energy to go for a walk once we got there! Will go back when this big bump has disappeared! :)

Ashamed to say, I have never been up there. :o
    I feel like saying I must go, but your post doesnt inspire me!

Best of luck with everything btw :cool:

Ashamed to say, I have never been up there. :o
    I feel like saying I must go, but your post doesnt inspire me!

Best of luck with everything btw :cool:

Its a gorgeous place, you drive right into the mountain and its beautiful once you get up there. I don't think I've been there since I was a kid. But the road up is disgraceful. Funnily enough, there was a woman pulled in by the entrance as we went in & it looked like she had got a puncture...no surprise why! Maybe its just a temporary surface & they do plan to do something with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Was up there a few weeks back. Beautiful spot but the road was horrendous. Think there's some logging going on up there and was some longer detour. Really rough & would put me off going up there again. Fabulous walk once you get there.

T,

It's just a fire road for logging trucks through the forest, the fact that it is a scenic area is incidental to Coillte. They would be just as happy to clear-fell the whole place which they have nearly done anyway. I don't think a paved road is needed up there. It's the great outdoors and it's a nice walk up from the bottom. I realise that's not ideal in your predicament Ciarraí :) but some things should be left alone. We don't need everything spoon fed to us. There are parts of Killarney that the vast majority of people aren't aware of because they don't want to venture a few hundred feet from the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Hi guys,

The road that's there presently is only a temporary road as they seem to be chopping down the trees along the original route up by the boardwalk. I live near the forestry and we took a trip there to do the boardwalk about 6 weeks ago. The original road which we always take to both lakes was closed off - with CCTV cameras and signs saying do not enter - we took the "rough" road up, which was horrendous to drive, and I was shocked to see the trees chopped down. It's extensively changed and not for the better. To be honest it was a bit disorientating as I hadn't realised we were at the top lake when we arrived - it was my DS who said we are - because the area was so bare and wreaked looking from the work they're doing. Anyone know why they're cutting all the trees down and will the replant more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Do any of ye know if any of the takeaways in Tralee have a gluten free option? I don't even know what takeaways there are in Tralee these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

siblers wrote: »
    Do any of ye know if any of the takeaways in Tralee have a gluten free option? I don't even know what takeaways there are in Tralee these days.
    Gluten free pizza is available from dominos, il forno and pizza time. Both mj's and new yorkers do some gluten free burgers, also restaurant uno have some gluten free pasta options which you can get as takeaway I think

Most of the Pizza places have a gluten free base now, but be careful as they appear to be cooking them in the same oven as a non gluten free base, so there will be cross contamination! My sister is coeliac so she has to be really careful & always asks how its cooked etc. Same with things like chips etc, if they are cooked in the same oil. Its very hard for coeliac's to eat out!

• Advertisement

thinktwice wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The road that's there presently is only a temporary road as they seem to be chopping down the trees along the original route up by the boardwalk. I live near the forestry and we took a trip there to do the boardwalk about 6 weeks ago. The original road which we always take to both lakes was closed off - with CCTV cameras and signs saying do not enter - we took the "rough" road up, which was horrendous to drive, and I was shocked to see the trees chopped down. It's extensively changed and not for the better. To be honest it was a bit disorientating as I hadn't realised we were at the top lake when we arrived - it was my DS who said we are - because the area was so bare and wreaked looking from the work they're doing. Anyone know why they're cutting all the trees down and will the replant more?

I was thinking it must be a temporary road. I too was quite surprised at how many trees seemed to be gone and how bare it looked. I hope they are replanting. I know there would have been a lot of trees fallen and damaged in all the recent storms the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

I'm up there regularly Ciarrai76 and from what I saw after the storms not many were damaged. Are you familiar with the road up the the top lake? All the left hand side (as far as I could see from the "rough" road looking down) all the trees were cut down. It's going to look very bare there now - I'm dreading seeing it when it's back open again.

thinktwice wrote: »
    I'm up there regularly Ciarrai76 and from what I saw after the storms not many were damaged. Are you familiar with the road up the the top lake? All the left hand side (as far as I could see from the "rough" road looking down) all the trees were cut down. It's going to look very bare there now - I'm dreading seeing it when it's back open again.

I hadn't been up there in years, so I didn't even realise it was a different road. But the area by that lake is extremely bare now, its a shame.

This is how Coillte operate, there are 2 divisions in Coillte - the Coillte outdoors section which is a tiny subset of Coillte. They are responsible for forest walks, the boardwalks and mountainbike trails in places like Ballyhoura. On the other hand you have the forestry section whose job is to basically make sh*t of the place.

The strange thing is you can have Coillte outdoors making fabulous scenic areas and walks while a hundred metres away the forestry division is clear-felling the side of the mountain. It's very hard to understand, they don't seem to be coordinated at all. It's the same in Glanageenty, they have created some amazing looped walks up there but completely clear-felled the other side of the mountain. I can't understand why they don't keep the forestry to the stack's mountains behind the old landfill where there are hundreds of acres of forest that nobody really cares about.

Semi-state bodies, go figure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Most of the Pizza places have a gluten free base now, but be careful as they appear to be cooking them in the same oven as a non gluten free base, so there will be cross contamination! My sister is coeliac so she has to be really careful & always asks how its cooked etc. Same with things like chips etc, if they are cooked in the same oil. Its very hard for coeliac's to eat out!

Jesus I feel sorry for her with this recent craze of everyone going gluten-free or pretending to be coeliac. On one hand it means there's a load of new gluten-free products. On the other less people are likely to believe you're coeliac.

The_Mac wrote: »
    Jesus I feel sorry for her with this recent craze of everyone going gluten-free or pretending to be coeliac. On one hand it means there's a load of new gluten-free products. On the other less people are likely to believe you're coeliac.

She's been Coeliac for years now and gets very ill if she even gets a crumb of contamination and there's not a great amount of training in the restaurant industry with staff not knowing if something is gluten free or not! Luckily she's started her own gluten free business, so she's very much in the know about it all! (PM if anyone wants more info on her business).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

McDonalds have applied to Kerry Co Co to demolish their existing restaurant in Manor and rebuild it as a 2 storey larger restaurant and associated drive thru lanes. I guess the existing one is too small to meet the high demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My girlfriend is coeliac so we have to be very careful. We intended to go to MJs but when I passed Argos I couldn't see it, so I thought it might have moved
    (I think I was just being blind) and went to New Yorkers instead but the girl behind the counter hadn't a clue about the dangers of cross contamination so we left it. Will try MJs again though, they have one of the best menus i've seen for gluten free food and they actually mention coeliac friendly on their menu which is quite reassuring.

My girlfriend is coeliac so we have to be very careful. We intended to go to MJs but when I passed Argos I couldn't see it, so I thought it might have moved
    (I think I was just being blind) and went to New Yorkers instead but the girl behind the counter hadn't a clue about the dangers of cross contamination so we left it. Will try MJs again though, they have one of the best menus i've seen for gluten free food and they actually mention coeliac friendly on their menu which is quite reassuring.

My sister was telling me that technically its illegal for a restaurant to advertise a gluten free menu if they don't have a separate kitchen to prepare it in! She told me of a place that was told by the health board to remove their advertising of gluten free food from their menu due to this! So they are starting to crack down on this more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

My sister was telling me that technically its illegal for a restaurant to advertise a gluten free menu if they don't have a separate kitchen to prepare it in! She told me of a place that was told by the health board to remove their advertising of gluten free food from their menu due to this! So they are starting to crack down on this more now.
    The health board can be a bit funny about gluten free food alright, as a pastry chef i make a lot of home made gluten free desserts and bakery goods but could not advertise them as gluten free on menus and was advised to stop making products such as scones in house although every care was taken to prevent cross contamination

Advertisement